Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing DF in Minecraft  (Read 4467 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Playing DF in Minecraft
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

The other day, a family friend was in town. Among other things, we spoke of Minecraft. This gave me an idea.

Start a Minecraft server, with seven players. They try to build a fortress. Optionally, allow migrants to come. Pretend you're all dwarves in a dwarven fortress. Etc.

Thoughts? Already done? Not possible/practical in Minecraft?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing DF in Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

There's actually a mod for Minecraft that is extremely heavily inspired by Dwarf Fortress (http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/info/), if you want to try emulating DF in Minecraft I'd think that would be an excellent starting place

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:40 pm »

The mod is only SP though, so you would be all alone.
It would depend on what degree of complexity you would want to emulate, like removing the MC mods and replacing them with DF mobs, or adding lots of new ores and tools and  furniture.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

Or just having 7 players pretend they're dwarves?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

http://minecolony.wikkii.com/

The citizens are equally stupid, so I think this mod is the best for acting like you're playing DF.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:05 am »

Hey, if you started a dwarf fortress minecraft server I'd play it. :P You could have 2 different classes, if you went for full bukkit plugins, of invaders and dwarves. So like, invaders can't mine but they can craft weapons and kill the dwarves...? Wouldn't work. Still amusing though.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:03 am »

The mod is only SP though, so you would be all alone.
TFCraft has been SMP for a while now.

As for the topic, we've had a few attempts at doing this, none that I can think of off the top of my head tho.
*Hugs*

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:57 am »

It shouldn't be too hard to do. You could just limit yourself to what you can do and how you do it. For example, in order to craft wooden items, you need a 3x3 area full of workbenches. For a forge, you need magma on one tile, a furnace on another, and stone blocks for the ground. You could even spawn zombies en-masse to emulate sieges, too.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Steamswitch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »

I could possibly start a server with TFCraft and all that for this. It would be only 8 players max though.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:16 am »

8 different people have posted in this thread.

;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:55 am »

Nine, I'm interested  ;)
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Kingsdragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:22 am »

Ten. I'd want in.
'She absolutely detests purring maggots' ~ Adrist Duthrom, miner

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:32 pm »

Eleven! I call the architecture labor!
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.