Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should it be done?

Yes.
No.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mission Impossible: Recovering the Boatmurdered Saves  (Read 21317 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Mission Impossible: Recovering the Boatmurdered Saves
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:10 am »

Here's a proposal and question.

The original Boatmurdered Lets Play threads are on Something Awful, in the archived section. This means you have to have an account to the archived section in order to get there. Would it be possible to recover the Boatmurdered saves from there? This is about recovering any save, through preferably all of them. I do realise this means spending $20, but then some people here may well have Something Awful accounts with the archive upgrade.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Impossible: Recovering the Boatmurdered Saves
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:13 am »

This has to be recent, because although it's been a while, I've been seeing them fine (well, maybe last year).

But yeah, Boatmurdered was a classic. We must revive it.

Yeah, not sure about link policies so spoilered
Don't know if it has the downloads though. I thought it did.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

One of the wonderful things about DF is that no matter how advanced the games get, (As far as I know) All previous games are still playable.

I have peole on the newest most up to date Power Gaming PC's who can still play old OLD schol 2D Dwarf.

Meanwhile there are games that came out less than 2 or 3 years ago that I can't lay anymore ;P
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »

This has to be recent, because although it's been a while, I've been seeing them fine (well, maybe last year).

But yeah, Boatmurdered was a classic. We must revive it.

Yeah, not sure about link policies so spoilered
Don't know if it has the downloads though. I thought it did.

If the downloads were on there, this question wouldn't have come up. The LP archive is actually a compilation of relevant material on two Something Awful threads, but they did not copy over the links to the saves.

On that note, someone needs to recover the Headshoots saves too. Headshoots was also on Something Awful, and then copied the material to the LP archive.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:52 pm »

The thing about memories is that they are only awesome as long as they stay memories, where our imaginations and, well, bad memory, is able to augment them to make them appear to be better than they actually were.

So, I believe that, unfortunately, if old savegames of Boatmurdered were to be recovered and played, it wouldn't be nearly as awesome as the story that it has left behind.
Feeling down? Click Here!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »

On that note, someone needs to recover the Headshoots saves too. Headshoots was also on Something Awful, and then copied the material to the LP archive.

There appears to be a save for Headshoots on the introduction page:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01:38 pm »

I have an SA account, but I don't have archives.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »

I have archives but I've forgotten how to search them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »

i too think that legends should stay legends.
like michael schumacher. he could have quit racing as a legend, but chose to come back and race again. now he's lame.
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 06:42:16 pm »

I have archives but I've forgotten how to search them.

I think you just need the link to the original thread. I've located one here, cited in the Lets Play: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2377482
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:46:39 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:32 pm »

Good news! I located the threads:

Thread 1:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2377482
Thread 2:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2165668

I located these from a cached Something Awful page. Hopefully the save files will be on there.

Edit: At least the linking post claimed them to be the threads.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:27 pm »

Seriously guys? Bump.

To make this post worth something:

There's a big difference between reviving an ancient succession game, and trying to push something beyond its design lifetime. Imagine if Boatmurdered were found, downloaded, and a new succession game began on the scale of Battlefailed, Failcannon, Hellcannon, Ardentdykes, Spearbreakers, Deathgate, Oceanbridge, and so on. Boatmurdered could continue with further craziness that will dwarf anything done before in there.

8)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

Seriously guys? Bump.

To make this post worth something:

There's a big difference between reviving an ancient succession game, and trying to push something beyond its design lifetime. Imagine if Boatmurdered were found, downloaded, and a new succession game began on the scale of Battlefailed, Failcannon, Hellcannon, Ardentdykes, Spearbreakers, Deathgate, Oceanbridge, and so on. Boatmurdered could continue with further craziness that will dwarf anything done before in there.

8)

Sure, that's the plan.  What people have been trying to tell you is, that's not what the reality will be.  Boatmurdered, while quite catastrophic in its own way, and embellished nicely by some good storytelling, was just another fortress.  There's nothing magical about it and it doesn't win (or lose) everything forever simply by virtue of being Boatmurdered.  All that will happen if it's revived is people will get their hopes up for something special to happen, those hopes will be dashed on the rocks, and then people will be disappointed and annoyed and Boatmurdereed will be diminished in their perception and memory.

Leave it alone.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:41 pm »

The original ten-page thread ends abruptly in a dead link just after the reset caused by Ral Swearengen's aborted turn. None of the save links work either.

If you're that interested in Boatmurdered-style craziness, just start your own succession game with the 2D version and players whose only experience is with .31 or later. Things will start going wrong very quickly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »

One of the wonderful things about DF is that no matter how advanced the games get, (As far as I know) All previous games are still playable.

I have peole on the newest most up to date Power Gaming PC's who can still play old OLD schol 2D Dwarf.

Meanwhile there are games that came out less than 2 or 3 years ago that I can't lay anymore ;P

sorry - nope. Some saves are actually pretty localized. DF2010 saves can't be opened up with DF2012. You'll have to play it in the same version that they did. No z-levels.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5