Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brooding Dwarf  (Read 1344 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brooding Dwarf
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:55:21 am »

So, I've got an axedwarf, who was recently injured in what should have been a fairly straightforward mop-up the elkbirds operation.  What I get for not paying more attention to the armor, I suppose.  Anyways, his leg was savaged, to the point where he'll need a crutch to walk again.  Not a huge deal, I have plenty of crutches.

The problem is, he refuses to head up to the hospital to get treatment, opting instead to crawl around the site of his mauling.  He's conscious, and reasonably mobile, but he doesn't have "Rest."  I've tried cycling his squad off and on duty, but that doesn't seem to help.  And while it was cool how the Elk Bird who wounded him came back and he was able to fight it off, he's one of my few competent militiamen at the moment, and I'd like to get him some help.

Short of drafting him into his own squad and sending him to walk into a Happy Fun Spike Room for a few lever pulls, is there a way I can get him to go get his leg checked out?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Brooding Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:01:56 am »

I've experienced this, as far as I can tell it's a bug that occurs for no discernible reason, or if you like to imagine it that way your dwarf is too badass to want to go to the sissy hospital.
try removing him from his squad (and not adding him to a new one)
stabbing him a few times to get a better wound sounds like a pretty good solution otherwise.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:14:53 am »

I'm sorry that I wasn't on earlier to answer this post, would you prefer I just ignore a post if no one else has answered it after 2 hours?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:41 am »

That's a crappy bug.  I've never dealt with it, but if you can't get him to the hospital, perhaps you can take the hospital to him.  I once had an embark with giant hamsters or some such that wounded my dwarves right at the start of the game.  I had to quickly set down a makeshift hospital.  I'm not sure if the hospital was outside or not, though.  Still, give it a try.  Construct a bed and table by him, then create the hospital zone right over where he's wandering.  Hope it works! 

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:36 am »

there are a few bugs and bug-like behaviors around healthcare:
1. rescue is fairly low on the list of dwarven priorities. even sometimes in the negative if dwarf does not like to help others.
2. just like items dwraves can be blocked by incoming jobs: if a dwarf is halfway through being watered or fed - he will not be rescued.
This could be particularly nasty because if dwarf is far-far away from food and water source - he can get a chaining reaction of feed-water-feed-water... with a very small chance of actually being rescued.
3. conscious dwarves are lower on the rescue list then unconscious.
So your altruistic nurse can helplessly try to save an armless, legless, eyeless cripple with crushed spine, who will die anyway because , you know, he has no useful organs any more. instead of saving a poor fellow with just a broken leg, who can be pretty much saved with some suturing and a splint. This way badly mutilated dwarves die from their wounds, and even if they survive - they cannot do much, and lightly wounded dwarves die in the field of infection...
4. not all dwarves tend to recognize their health issues. Like humans - they sometimes tend to ignore the limp limb and just crawl around as if nothing happens. Those dwarves are not a target for rescue because they claim that they are fine. I have one in current fort right now. He has severed nerves and will never walk without a crutch, but I had no crutches at the time he was treated,so he just decided to crawl out of bed and to roll around doing his own business(not much of a business, given his mobility...) I still hope he well sprain his ankle somehow and will eventually get his crutch.
5. sometimes nurses dump patients on the hospital floor instead of on the hospital bed. They will eventually get another rescue job to put the poor soul in bed, provided he is still alive at that point.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:48 am »

Yes, Toady desperately needs to add a skill for Dwarven Triage, to see that some dwarves are saveable and some are just... not.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:13:17 am »

So removing him from the squad worked, and he's currently being carried back to the hospital.  In a final note- an elk bird wandered too close to him, and, from his position slung over another dwarf's shoulder, he calmly buried his axe in its head, apparently without his rescuer noticing anything.