demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 67622 times)

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2013, 05:19:06 am »

362:  There is no completely safe way to use a necromancer to train melee dwarves, not even cavies.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 04, 2013, 09:50:21 am »

363: When embarking without wood, going straight for the caverns can result in ‼Fun‼.
363a: When sealing off sections of the caverns, make sure they're small enough to seal.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:07 am »

364: building a spout to dump water into the middle of a magma pool is _not_ a good idea; all the obsidian will be generated entirely unsupported and instantly falls to the bottom, where it gets destroyed by the semi-molten rock. Enjoy your constant cave-in messages until the end of the fort.

365: pumps can drain a small river to the point that waterwheels downriver from the pump may stop working. And your dwarfs will consider the riverbed downstream from the pump safe to cross, which is not at all good for your nerves when there's a 15z-waterfall perhaps thirty steps from the pump.

366: dumping a bunch of cats and wardogs into the caverns to fight the cavefishmen will not kill the animalmen. It will only train them until they're incredibly good at blocking and dodging.
366a: while dumping a bunch of crabs to the training room for your soldiers to fight is about the only reasonable thing you can do with those animals, exercise moderation: 20 crabs to a single recruit is excessive.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »

367.  If you are on an evil biome -- even partly -- there is no such thing as "too soon" to build a way to seal yourself away from the outside world.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2013, 04:37:25 am »

I went on for about 4 years or so. 
then all of a sudden my harvesters (read: nearly half my fort) trip 5 or so goblin ambushes at once. 

One of which had a goblin too close to my fort and it slipped in, and started running around disrupting work so I couldn't even try to fix things up...
next fort will have rows of cage traps lining the entrance corridor to deal with those goblins.  and ho

hopefully i'll get a marksdwarf squad started up in time next attempt. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2013, 04:51:04 am »

368. While sending hammer and macemen against a chitinous foe is a bad idea, it is qually bad for the enemy to send such troops against chitinous creatures under your employ.

However when most of your army is made of squishy normal soldiers, they tend to be beaten into paste rather quickly when you forget to armor them.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:50 am »

369: Husk clouds cannot and I repeat CANNOT be contained without losing 50 dwarves

Houndstooth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2013, 06:27:50 pm »

370: Building an above-ground fortress only accessible by bridge seems like a great idea, until a dorf goes berserk and breaks it. Enjoy your miasma and !!FUN!!
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2013, 10:32:04 pm »

371: Not only will breaching the circus lead to !!!fun!!! and the death of your fortress, when you abandon and start a new fortress on the same world, a portion of your migrants will drop dead from injuries almost as soon as they enter the map. Especially the valuable metalworkers and legendaries.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2013, 11:16:38 pm »

372: If you sealed off your caverns in such a way that most of your space is over the non-evil part of the site, double-check where you're putting the butcher's shop. Chitin the size of an elephant, in the sealed food production pod...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:16 am »

373: Sealing the caverns should be done in stages overseen by numerous soldiers.

374: By all that is good and holy, WATCH YOUR DESIGNATIONS!
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »

375: Towers do not respect difficulty curves. If you embark near one, don't be surprised when The Dead Walk!!! within your first year.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:24 pm »

376: If your embark is partially savage temperate mountain, taking the minimum possible size embark means all those juicy Giant Wolverines and wolverine men spawn right next to the plentiful outside installations. Better get that moat dug quick.
376a: Seven unarmed peasants cannot kill a Giant Wolverine, because its skull is too thick to punch/kick through (and everyone worships headshots too much to try anything _effective_ after they've managed to punch a big enemy unconscious). I still wonder how i managed to smith a spear and hand it over to one of the dwarfs before the wolverine had time to recover and murder the crew.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:54 pm »

372: If you sealed off your caverns in such a way that most of your space is over the non-evil part of the site, double-check where you're putting the butcher's shop. Chitin the size of an elephant, in the sealed food production pod...

Ouchie.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Thermi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2013, 01:40:27 am »

377.Artifact floodgates are NOT save from building destroyers. Better have a drawbridge as an exit from your pit of death then a floodgate. Using a floodgate will result in !!FUN!!.
Background story: I dug a pit 3 z-levels deep to throw all my Goblin and Troll-Prisoners in. It was separated by 2 airlocks. I then proceeded to move my whole military to the fortifications in the pit walls through the airlocks. As I opened the last one, the floodgate of the pit was broken (it was an artifact one and was just destroyed as a building and dropped as an artifact). I the rushed all of my military inside (1 squad of hammerdwarves, 1 squad of sworddwarves, 1 squad of speardwarves and 2 squads of Crossbowdwarves). The proceeding fight spilled to the whole fortress, because I left all the airlocks open to rush my guys inside. Luckily, goblins and trolls try to path to the border and don't stop to fight, hence all enemies were slain and no dwarves were lost. SUCCESS! Kind of.
378. Troll and Goblin blood on all walls in the fortress look great!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:06:26 am by Thermi »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25