Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even supply of stone to multiple workshops - minecart design  (Read 1676 times)

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So do you prefer 1 master stone stocpile and then sending your stones to multiple workshops. Here is an advice how to send the same (more or less ?) amount of stone to them. With a little modification it can be used to distibute liquids to multiple reservoirs

What do you need:
- 1 minecart
- 2*(N-1) pumps where N is number of workshops
- tons of mechanisms
- chains/ropes for rollers
- Urist McTrackCarver and Urist McMechanic
- source of power
- 7*(N-1) of water/magma for triggering signal (it will be recycled)
- floodgates/doors

How to set things up:
1) create loading depo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2) set dumping area - workshops

3) create way back

4) ending for step (3)

5) pumps

6) Linking mechanisms

7) Set hauling order

Pictures of my testing area: (with design flaws and therefore not working properly)

Few words at the end.
Segment 3 can be created without floodgate acording to the wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Track#Switching). But I though that this is more about luck or precise calculation so I sticked with floodgate.

Rollers on left side of segment 3 and 4 has to be set to lowest power I think. Because when I used highest power the minecart went off the track where the wall on the left ended (see picture).

I got idea for this design when I read about "Automatic dwarven 3D printer" (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111606.0). Only open those hatches which you don't want to cast obsidian.
And to me more honest transporting liquids would be even simplier. Just replace loading depo with a reservoir which the forbidden minecart goes through (also use only rollers and no dwarf-power) and you are set.
Only problem is when you want to use more than one minecart - pressure plate canceling and false signals and something like that. I have too little will to test that as well.

I would make video of its (one time) functionality but somehow that is above my skill. If you want save just tell me where to upload.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Even supply of stone to multiple workshops - minecart design
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:07 am »

You could solve the danger by having the track dip under at least one of the three front tiles. Or seal the front except for the stockpile, and carve stairs down around no access tiles.

The best option would of course be to have the stockpile directly above the workshop, which means the only pathing the dorf has to do is walk up stairs to the stockpile.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:38 am »

I was under the impression that currently rollers don't need a source of power?
Feeling down? Click Here!

daftfad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »

Wheelbarrows are faster and unlike minecart tracks are still useful even after the vein is mined out, which happens very quickly.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:54 pm »

Unless you've got a central stair case surrounding a mine cart track, in which case it's still useful, since you're moving stone across one z instead of up or down many z.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:56 pm »

There is nothing wrong with the main feeder stockpile using wheelbarrows and the tracks feeding the various workshops.  You get the best of both worlds that way.

Also, I think I remember hearing that the rollers not needing power was fixed in one of the recent versions.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »

There is nothing wrong with the main feeder stockpile using wheelbarrows and the tracks feeding the various workshops.  You get the best of both worlds that way.

Also, I think I remember hearing that the rollers not needing power was fixed in one of the recent versions.

They definitely need power in 34.11.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »

Wheelbarrows are faster and unlike minecart tracks are still useful even after the vein is mined out, which happens very quickly.

Why must one be better than the other? Like everything in DF, everything has it's own use under different circumstances.
Feeling down? Click Here!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 01:09:40 pm »

Too bad you can't assign more than three wheelbarrows to a single stockpile.  For larger stone storage it would be helpful.

On a similar note, I've discovered that puting your clay storage on a clay floor, designated as a clay gathering site, immediately adjacent to a kiln means the dwarves auto-quantun stockpile the lumps of clay (dig it up, but don't have to move it anywhere).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

Yes, but with 10 workshops you have like 30 haulers? That could slow production if your source of stones is far away. This take one dwarf to push a cart and maybe 5 more to throw a rock to a cart. Then it can be send over a whole map if you wish. Make your obsidian farm closer to magma.
Also this is not for sending stone from a vein but from one big master stockpile.

But hey, do whatever you want. After all I am not playing your game. I am just sharing some overcomplicated designs. ;D

I was under the impression that currently rollers don't need a source of power?
Well then mine are broken :D The whole think from the pictures has to be powered by 4 waterwheels