Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why "fun to lose", and is there an "end&q  (Read 956 times)

Tynan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why "fun to lose", and is there an "end&q
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

Hello. I was wondering why the game (and some people) keep stressing that losing is fun? Last time I checked, getting all of my dwarves wiped out after many hours spent lovingly caring for them (not to mention the fortress) was anything but fun. Just wondering...

Also, is there a pre-set point in the game where, if your fortress becomes large and famous enough, the game declares you "winner"? Or can you run a fortress indefinitely with no predetermined end-point, provided you don't get wiped?

Thanks!

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why "fun to lose", and is there an "end&q
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tynan:
<STRONG>Hello. I was wondering why the game (and some people) keep stressing that losing is fun? Last time I checked, getting all of my dwarves wiped out after many hours spent lovingly caring for them (not to mention the fortress) was anything but fun. Just wondering...

Also, is there a pre-set point in the game where, if your fortress becomes large and famous enough, the game declares you "winner"? Or can you run a fortress indefinitely with no predetermined end-point, provided you don't get wiped?

Thanks!</STRONG>

Mostly because the game is extremely challenging until you figure everything out at which point it becomes ludicrously easy (on the whole).

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

There are currently no winning conditions in the game - you might as well grow used to defeat. Once you are able to finish a fortress without actually abandoning it, this may change.

As for the fun - some losses can be enlightening, others hilarious.

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Radtse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

It's only when you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: Radtse ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

It is also fun to lose in adventure mode. You know, go on some quests, rest some, talk to all the people of mention, die, go in the legends book (mode), get shoes with pictures of you laced on. (that really happened, I examined a shoe and it had a pic of a previous adventurer.

Tynan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Thanks all!

So I guess the only end is if the dwarves stop producing children and/or die of old age...

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

I don't believe even that would be an end - wouldn't there still be migrants?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

dethb0y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

Every successful fortress is, fundamentally, the same. Every one that fails is, in it's own way, unique.

To me the point of the game is kind of like juggling. The goal is to see how long you can keep it going before something goes horrifically, irrevocably wrong.

Then again, i was the kind of guy who'd turn lose all the disasters at once on my cities in simcity.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

The "it's fun to lose" trademark originate mostly from 23a, in which if you were successful enough you'd eventually get the King... Who kept pressing you with mandates to dig further and further, until you inevitably dug thru adamantine and thru the demon pit...

Then, you would have the game ending "dug too deep"...

In resume, the game was forcing you sooner or later to "lose". The fun was to manage to get to that part. And also maybe come back with an adventurer to wipe all the monsters who would have claimed your fortress afterward...  :)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

I played the 2d version alot, and I read the wiki alot and as a result, I've never actually 'lost' the 3d version (unless abandoning out of boredom counts as losing). It is, in fact, very very rare for me to even have dwarves die.

Very often I read about the gruesome ends that many forts meet and really get the feeling that *I* am the one doing something wrong  :( Losing is a heck of alot more fun then the current alternative.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

Yeah, it comes down to trying crazier builds for you engineering or trying "challenge modes" I'm going to go without beds, or without booze or without stone. Mess around with any kind of fluid and you're sure to loose at least a few times, remember right now we're testing the game, we're finding the bugs and whathave so whenever something inadvertently destroys your work, it might be a success.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

The best fun in the game comes from sharing stories with friends about the ways dwarves get themselves killed.. despite your best efforts to prevent it.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dethb0y:
<STRONG>Then again, i was the kind of guy who'd turn lose all the disasters at once on my cities in simcity.</STRONG>

Ooh, fun times!
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tynan:
<STRONG>Hello. I was wondering why the game (and some people) keep stressing that losing is fun? Last time I checked, getting all of my dwarves wiped out after many hours spent lovingly caring for them (not to mention the fortress) was anything but fun. Just wondering...

Thanks!</STRONG>

I found out immediately upon playing DF why it was fun to lose; losing was always hilarious for me. One of my very first deaths was when a giant cave spider came out of the chasm (old df where everyone had chasms) and all of my dwarves kept trying to go to work but theyd get interrupted, so it ended up being this huge mob of dwarves all in a bundle moving forward as a group, then running away as a group, until it cornered them and pretty much covered the walls and floor with blood. Losing can also be spectacular to watch / command; in another file, i had one single swordsdwarf charge the battlefield, arrows whistling by him, as he jumped into goblin ranks and killed many before they finally slew him, and (in my mind) my other dwarves were roused to action and went out to meet the goblins in battle in one glorious blood rush of a slaughter.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

For me, all losing does is take some big plans of mine and make it so I can't finish them. I consider winning to be when I finish my big plan (either a heroic adventurer, some sort of enormous project in fortress mode, or a combination of the two).

Usually, I find winning to be more fun than losing unless I deliberately intend to lose.

Pages: [1] 2