Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Age  (Read 495 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old Age
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I have heard of dwarves dying of 'old age'. When is this reached? Will you get a message or will a dwarf just drop dead?

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

The creature_standard file in the raws says the maximum dwarf age is 150-170 years. So yeah, good luck playing that long. That being said, you will receive a message in purple when any creature dies of old age. It happend once to me with a cat.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

well dwarves are not children when the show up at the fort. They are at least... 12? or 14? or whatever age a child grows up and possibly they are older so there is some chance they will keel over. unfortunately there is no way to check a dwarf's age (at least while you are playing, legends screen might show it for champions and such).

FWIW, I've never had a dwarf die of old age, though my oldest fort was probably only 20 years or so.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

back when this was in 2d someone had a dwarf die of old age in year 1080 or so, don't know about these crazy 3d ages though

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>well dwarves are not children when the show up at the fort. They are at least... 12? or 14? or whatever age a child grows up and possibly they are older so there is some chance they will keel over. unfortunately there is no way to check a dwarf's age (at least while you are playing, legends screen might show it for champions and such).

FWIW, I've never had a dwarf die of old age, though my oldest fort was probably only 20 years or so.</STRONG>

The norm for dwarven adventurers, I believe, is about 50, so I'd put most of your dwarves in the 40-60 range. Young, healthy, but old enough to handle the responsibilities of building a fortress from the ground up.

So yeah, odds are you won't see many dwarves dying of old age.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:00 am »

I've had a dwarf die of old age in about 1070.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

Alright, thanks for the help!

...my oldest fort only lasted about 3 years, so I don't think I'll have to worry about it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:10:02 pm by penguinofhonor »