Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts got easier?  (Read 2075 times)

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts got easier?
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »

Yesterday, a Forgotten Beast wandered into my caverns. It was a four-legged monstrosity made from Obsidian, with huge gnashing mandibles *gnash*gnash* and some kind of digestive upset that made it extra cranky and prone to releasing poisonous firey vapors. Nasty. I put my army on it.

As usual, most of them went off to hit the pub or gather new equipment. A Ranger came upon the Beast before anybody else. She was a Competent Marksdwarf and armed with *cringe* a normal iron crossbow and 25 COPPER arrows. I hoped she'd run away.

Instead, she plugged the Beast with arrows as it charged right up to her all fuming and horrible. Arrows took out its legs, becoming lodged in the wounds and when it closed ranks she didn't bat an eye but when it attacked and missed she counterattacked and smashed it right in the face with her iron crossbow (fracturing the right mandible, that's got to hurt!)

Then she backed off, the Beast fell over from leg damage and she emptied her quiver before walking away to find more arrows, now a Skilled Marksdwarf. In a few minutes the Beast starts limping along on four broken legs and two broken feet and three military dwarves come finish it off, and in the next few days I'll have obsidian-flaked soap.

Obviously I asked her to turn in that iron crossbow for melting, so she can pick up one of the Masterwork wood/bone crossbows lying around. But now I'm thinking about that awesome face-smash action on the FB and wonder if a few steel crossbows might be a good investment.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts got easier?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

No, she's just a fucking BADASS!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:28 pm »

Obsidian is quite brittle, I'm not surprised.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »

They're randomly generated. Some will die with so much as exposure to air, others will kill everyone.

Everyone.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

...and wonder if a few steel crossbows might be a good investment.

Silver is better than steel for crossbows. Silver is denser than steel, and that's what counts for a hammer.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:24 pm »

I can't seem to make silver crossbows for myself.

Silver is better than steel for crossbows. Silver is denser than steel, and that's what counts for a hammer.

But you can't make silver crossbows in Vanilla as far as I can tell.

They certianly don't show up in the Manager screen, or the Metalsmiths Forge menus.

Though bizarrely I do have a few I either bought or got as spoils or war.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »

I believe Bronze is the best non-silver material for blunt weapons. It's softer than iron, but it's also denser. I suspect the difference to be marginal, though. I would recommend having her do some melee sparring with a wooden crossbow to raise her hammer skill so she relies a little bit less on the RNG gods in melee combat. Just remember to reequip her with the metal one for actual duty. Even the bones of dragons can only get you so far.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »

I believe Bronze is the best non-silver material for blunt weapons. It's softer than iron, but it's also denser. I suspect the difference to be marginal, though. I would recommend having her do some melee sparring with a wooden crossbow to raise her hammer skill so she relies a little bit less on the RNG gods in melee combat. Just remember to reequip her with the metal one for actual duty. Even the bones of dragons can only get you so far.

I wasn't aware that training weapons improved sparring anyhow. Perhaps you're referring to when sparring was still violent?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:02:52 am »

I believe Bronze is the best non-silver material for blunt weapons. It's softer than iron, but it's also denser. I suspect the difference to be marginal, though.
In-game (not sure about real life), bronze gets slightly better edged stats and a slightly worse blunt stats than iron (despite it being denser). So, if you have to choose between iron and bronze for bluntness, go for iron.

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:05:00 am »

I haven't seen a forgotten beast in a long long time.

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:46 am »

isr, Beast forgets YOU

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:19:52 am »

You can't make silver crossbows, so the best material should be copper.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:19 am »

Steel and silver are on a par with each other.
Silver is the most dense weapons grade material and steel has a impact fracture of 2,520,000. Copper has an impact fracture of 770,000. Higher is better. So copper crossbows'd be a cheap standard crossbow and steel the more expensive smashy weapon.