Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will a 16 z-level drop kill most mobs?  (Read 2443 times)

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will a 16 z-level drop kill most mobs?
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:44:46 am »

I'm currently attempting to build a 16 z-level high tower that I plan on using to drop caged foes off of into the center of my forts inner courtyard (also might place a meeting room nearby so people can watch). Should this be enough to kill most mobs?

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will a 16 z-level drop kill most mobs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:17 am »

Yes
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:01:52 am »

Thanks

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:09:20 am »

Btw it's a pretty nice idea, but I'm not sure they get happy thoughts from things they didn't kill themselves.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:32:06 am »

Well, if they like waterfalls they should love gorefalls

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:49:34 am »

Should this be enough to kill most mobs?
Coming from Minecraft, eh? Don't worry, it'll pass. And then you shall be one of usone of usone of usone of us
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:04:10 am »

Should this be enough to kill most mobs?
Coming from Minecraft, eh? Don't worry, it'll pass. And then you shall be one of usone of usone of usone of us
I havn't played Minecraft in over a year. If you are refering to my usage of mobs, that is a throw back to when I used to MUD alot

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:48 am »

Indeed.  The word mob dates back to the birth of computer games, long before home PCs were common and before consoles hit the scene.

Its actually a contraction of 'mobile'  In that it should only really be used for something that can move.  MUDs are pretty much the source as far as this goes (and the first of what today's gamers might call 'true' games).  Roguelikes incidentally are another ancient genre.  DF is by far and away the most complete i've ever seen though since it transcends into a sim too.

On the OP:  They wont get a happy slaughter thought since they were not involved.  They may get some emotional hardening from witnessing death, i've never seen that confirmed or refuted.  They certainly wont get a 'witnessed death' unhappy thought as that seems to be reserved for members of your own civ.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:13 am »

Indeed.  The word mob dates back to the birth of computer games, long before home PCs were common and before consoles hit the scene.

Its actually a contraction of 'mobile'  In that it should only really be used for something that can move.  MUDs are pretty much the source as far as this goes (and the first of what today's gamers might call 'true' games).

if I recall the code correctly, the Smaug codebase makes very little distinction between rooms, objects, and mobs. I think the term may have originated from that little fact, since a mobile is basically just a walking object.

As for what is a "true" game, I think the original would have been adventure, or whatever that old text adventure was that was written in the 70's. MUDs (and related genres) would make the first MMOs.

Roguelikes incidentally are another ancient genre.  DF is by far and away the most complete i've ever seen though since it transcends into a sim too.

Depends on how you want to define complete. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a rather good Roguelike, and I believe ADOM and ToME are quite expansive on all fronts.

[quoteOn the OP:  They wont get a happy slaughter thought since they were not involved.  They may get some emotional hardening from witnessing death, i've never seen that confirmed or refuted.  They certainly wont get a 'witnessed death' unhappy thought as that seems to be reserved for members of your own civ.
[/quote]
I didn't expect them to really get a happy thought from it, but the mental image of dwarves drinking dwarven wine and chatting while goblins are tossed 16 levels to their death is just amusing.

As it so happens, a seige has landed me 5 captured trolls to testing purposes. This should be entertaining.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:09 am »

As I remember, since the changes to falling objects got put in, the only distance that would cause sure death was around 30 z's. However, if the prisoners are stripped of their armor and weapons ('i', create a 'g'arbage dump near the cages,'d' 'b' 'd', select cages containing the foes, then 'k' the cages and remove the dump flag from only the actual cage. Then wait for your haulers to go and take the armor and put it in the garbage dump), they are more likely to to die or be seriously injured on impact.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:24 am »

Then let them crawl to "freedom" on broken legs and ribs through a glass wall lined corridor of repeater spikes!!!

Good times.

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:02 am »

I can live with serious injury. Mass pitting on a tall pillar then drop them into the courtyard for my military to attempt to finish off. I like that.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:23 am »

Yes, fall injuries has been nerfed a bit, requiring a much longer fall to guarantee kills anymore.  It seems that any fall that isn't an insta-kill from landing on the head is likely to just break some bones, rather than make the creature explode into bits. 

An option is to put a weapon trap full of masterwork steel serrated discs under the landing point.  They will fall, hit the trap and get shredded into many, many pieces.  Or you could simply put an upright spike at the landing point.  Just as effective. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:38:38 am »

As for what is a "true" game, I think the original would have been adventure, or whatever that old text adventure was that was written in the 70's. MUDs (and related genres) would make the first MMOs.
Yeah I mixed things up a bit in my head as I went to type it down, of course MUDs are a later development being multi-user.  Zool I think is probably one of the earliest, I vaguely remember Adventure or something similar too.  I do love Linley's and Stone Soup.  ADOM and ToME I have installed but never really got into.  Moria and Angband and the millions of derivatives are fun too :)

The difference for me is that while DF has a roguelike mode that is certainly as enjoyable as any of those, it also has this awesome history generator, much more varied RNG worlds than the oldschool RNG-dungeons and the epic Fort mode which is another genre entirely.

To be fair DF would not have been remotely possible in anything like its current form back when they were writing these early crawlers, DF is a memory muncher.

[/nostalgia][/ShowYourAge][/derail]
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

UristMcGreedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:44 am »

To be fair DF would not have been remotely possible in anything like its current form back when they were writing these early crawlers, DF is a memory muncher.
Forget about the memory needed, the cpu requirement is pretty hefty.