Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dorfvault 2.0  (Read 10472 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dorfvault 2.0
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »

Make sure there is one breeding pair with military skills. Or some way to train military skills.

Military Dwarves don't mood. This'll ensure you'll have at least one pair to pick up the vault in the event of Dwarf annihilation.

Also, behavioural sink

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »

The only solution to maintaining long-term sanity: Strict population control, and strong rituals to hold their tiny culture together.

The dwarves will develop the traditions on their own, with yearly cycle revolving around harvest seasons, and the accompanying bursts of activity. The occasional growth of a tree or bush every few years would warrant vault-wide celebrations. Dwarves would grow up dreaming their whole lives about making the perfect sock to sacrifice to the cinnabar god.

I'm assuming you will do population control manually, but just for fun, I'm also thinking of a more automated solution: A single trapped bedroom designed to kill anyone who tries to enter. Eleven dwarves will survive, but whenever population gets too high someone will claim the twelfth room for themselves and be sacrificed for the good of the vault.

Also, a fun thing that I used to play around with in 40d: When the time comes, seal your fort, and then use some DFHack magic to erase the rest of the map, so that your fortress will forever sit alone on a tiny pillar of rock in the middle of a vast sea of otherworldly nothingness.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:07 pm »

The only solution to maintaining long-term sanity: Strict population control, and strong rituals to hold their tiny culture together.

The dwarves will develop the traditions on their own, with yearly cycle revolving around harvest seasons, and the accompanying bursts of activity. The occasional growth of a tree or bush every few years would warrant vault-wide celebrations. Dwarves would grow up dreaming their whole lives about making the perfect sock to sacrifice to the cinnabar god.

I'm assuming you will do population control manually, but just for fun, I'm also thinking of a more automated solution: A single trapped bedroom designed to kill anyone who tries to enter. Eleven dwarves will survive, but whenever population gets too high someone will claim the twelfth room for themselves and be sacrificed for the good of the vault.

Also, a fun thing that I used to play around with in 40d: When the time comes, seal your fort, and then use some DFHack magic to erase the rest of the map, so that your fortress will forever sit alone on a tiny pillar of rock in the middle of a vast sea of otherworldly nothingness.
The trapped bedroom is a very good idea, I want this to be as autonomous as possible (the still and lever will have to be somewhat manual because the almighty cinnabar god would probably perform too much population control if someone was always pulling the lever as other hapless inhabitants tried putting stuff under it).
Make sure there is one breeding pair with military skills. Or some way to train military skills.

Military Dwarves don't mood. This'll ensure you'll have at least one pair to pick up the vault in the event of Dwarf annihilation.

Also, behavioural sink
Thanks for the military tip - I have a perfect idea for training military skills!

1. Archery range, not sure where to put it but they don't have to be very long, right?
2. Bone bolts produced by the craftsdwarf's workshop.
3. Twelve Eleven +copper crossbows+ for the inhabitants. If married couples end up occupying the same bunk so we get twenty-two dwarfs, more can be made out of wood.

And the idea of a circle of strange quiet dwarfs (I imagine them as being dressed in all-white and having no social skills) desperately waiting for a tower-cap to burst up through the cavern dirt strikes me as hilarious somehow. Of course, if the parents don't teach their kids every word they know, and the process repeats, eventually they'll make up their own bastardized half-dwarven language, creating a bucket of laughs for whichever poor sod unseals the place five hundred years from now.

"ZMERKY THE BRIDGE GOD OF A JJDSX FIVE!!"
"Oh god! They're insane! Pull the lever!"
"GAAAAAH WEDIJ MAGMA!!"
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »

The trapped bedroom is a very good idea, I want this to be as autonomous as possible (the still and lever will have to be somewhat manual because the almighty cinnabar god would probably perform too much population control if someone was always pulling the lever as other hapless inhabitants tried putting stuff under it).

Also, behavioural sink
Thanks for the military tip - I have a perfect idea for training military skills!

1. Archery range, not sure where to put it but they don't have to be very long, right?
2. Bone bolts produced by the craftsdwarf's workshop.
3. Twelve Eleven +copper crossbows+ for the inhabitants. If married couples end up occupying the same bunk so we get twenty-two dwarfs, more can be made out of wood.

And the idea of a circle of strange quiet dwarfs (I imagine them as being dressed in all-white and having no social skills) desperately waiting for a tower-cap to burst up through the cavern dirt strikes me as hilarious somehow. Of course, if the parents don't teach their kids every word they know, and the process repeats, eventually they'll make up their own bastardized half-dwarven language, creating a bucket of laughs for whichever poor sod unseals the place five hundred years from now.

"ZMERKY THE BRIDGE GOD OF A JJDSX FIVE!!"
"Oh god! They're insane! Pull the lever!"
"GAAAAAH WEDIJ MAGMA!!"

You know, I wonder if toady will ever add conversations between dwarves, maybe sometime when dwarf fortress computers have advanced enough to handle that.  And if he does, language drift would be pretty cool (along with genetic drift, since I'm sure genetics will happen before the language evolving during gameplay).

And are you trying to build this so it has no evidence on the surface?  You could theoretically expose it by digging channels down, and then floor over it, and than cast obsidian to fill in the gaps.  I think this should prevent cave adaption, as afaik, anything marked as outside, stays marked as outside forever.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

Dwarves only have one mood in their lifetime.

Choose your breeding pairs from ones that have already mooded.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:25 pm »

Dwarves only have one mood in their lifetime.

Choose your breeding pairs from ones that have already mooded.
All the mood-related help is great! I hadn't researched what caused moods so I just devised ways to seal industries inside the vault, although keeping them possible is sorta fun (when the vault opens in the far future, they will find fifty artifact beds and one insane dwarf hitting walls with a femur).

As for cave adaptation, it's not like they'll ever be leaving their vault anyway  :) and I haven't got to the point where I can build a pump stack without melting the continent. (please don't post help for this - everyone here is always like "oh, here's five pounds of advice" in every post and it's getting unnerving because I'm used to forums full of idiots, not giving members of society. help a new user acclimatize, let him experience his own brand of fun)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 06:00:21 am »

Decades from now... Migrants will strike the Earth into an unusual hollow...

And then...
Armoured in goat bone.
Armed with madness.
they will come.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

With the recent glut of megaproject ideas, I thought I'd pull a Ñ and bring this thread back up. This is because it's a handy design that could solve your issue of needing a steady stream of dwarves to fulfill some long-running purpose! And it's only like a month old *folds arms*

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 04:44:11 pm »

Just a note, you don't need mechanic skill to operate levers and whatnot, linking them up, on other hand :D

And wouldn't enough underground muddied/soil space to have decent amount of trees be enough to feed and clothe such small amount of dwarves without needing dedicated farm plot if you don't mind doing seasonal plant gathering while chopping woods? That could allow for small scale glass or clay industry with charcoal.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 04:59:55 pm »

actually, an easy way to use this to constantly churn out an item would be to use an airlock. Say you wanted to have them create tons and tons of thread for clothing, you could do this by making an underground pasture with a skylight and keep sheep (or any other creature that produces wool), have them constantly turning wool into thread and then using this design:

Code: [Select]
----
|==|
X==D
|==|
----

key:
- and | = walls
= = stockpile
X = flood gate
D = door (not floodgate so you could hook them up to the same lever)

It can constantly supply the whole fortress!

(The stockpile can be of any size really, but I used a small one because that could be used with a [emphasis]certain device that DorfVault 2.0 was already associated with. [/emphasis]  ;))
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »

How about building a huge cistern underneeth the vault?  Once filled, close the floodgates and use a catwalk to go up and build some walls to seal the waterway more securely.  Then collapse the tunnel to ensure the outside exposure is removed.

Then, as the years go by your vaulters will watch the ticks on the side of the wall as reserves dimish with each bath or careless drink.  It would also give options for the deep underground version to get muddy floors (bucket brigade preferred?)

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »

About the coffins: you can't smash them under a bridge because you couldn't build them there anyways. Even if you could, I've found from dropping coffins into volcanoes that destruction counts as disinterment and you'll still have ghost problems.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »

This is inspirational in both the best and worst ways.  You could have a vault set up to protect dwarves in the event of a disastrous siege or just sequester away those damned fish cleaners and cheese makers.

But I'm wondering about the stockpiles.  Given the self-contained and close nature of the entire set-up, wouldn't it be easier to leave the product of all the workshops in the workshops?  If you converted one of the stockpiles to a barracks and made all the dwarves in the vault part of one or two militia groups, you could avoid moods (except in any resulting children) while keeping them busy and in shape.  You should be able to set up their routine to oscillate between training and off-duty to ensure they wouldn't neglect their other responsibilities.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »

• Bury the dead dwarfs, then atomize the coffins with the cinnabar drawbridge. I don't know if this counts as "memorialized" even after the coffins are destroyed - hopefully it does.

I've noticed that if you deconstruct coffins the bones come out. I've been planning to test if you can put corpses in them for a while, then take them out and dump the bones without any ghost problems.

Oddly enough I think variations of this were done in much of Europe for a long time. People would be buried in a churchyard or other sacred location for a while, then their bones would be moved elsewhere.

If it works in DF you could get your mortuary down to 3 squares. A couple coffins and a dump square to pile the bones on. I think a huge pile of bones would be very Dwarfly. :)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »

If you're going all self sufficient bunker you'll want to use quarry bush,pig tail, and sweet pods as your main crops. Use strict stockpile settings so you churn out masterwork roasts of quarry bush leaf and dwarven syrup. Dwarven wine will be your main booze with supplements from pig tails and sweet pods for variety when you have overflow.

Take donkeys or something as your livestock. you need hooves as well for moods. Take turkeys for your meat/bone/leather industry. Geese and other egg layers as well if you need a faster turnaround.[Cave crocs are the holy grail with the 20-60 clutch size] (cage poultry like a boss so fps doesn't die as badly.)

For god's sake get a water source. Bucket brigade to a reservoir, tap an aquifer, pull cavern water through a floor grate or something.

Dig out and irrigate areas for a tree farm. you need bins n barrels after all. Later you can stockpile entire zlevels of ammo until the fps death comes.

If you add a firing platform in the cavern walls you can  slowly turn everyone into a legendary marksdwarf. this'll fight a lot of the bad thoughts coming from slow training while on duty for too long. Then they can spend the rest of their lives becoming legendary teachers while mastering all the other critical martial skills.

At the start of the game have a miner punch all 3 caverns so you have an idea of where they are. then tunnel and smooth > fortification to fully explore them. try to pick your fort loc. close to the magma sea. Then once you seal off your quarries wont have to rely on the tree farm for fuel. Worst case scenario, you abuse the melt bug to glitch in hordes of copper.

Overall just make it bigger. Add warehouses and give everything the space it deserves.

Goomba! Give us status updates. Have all your dwarves gone mad from a lack of hooves, silk, and shells yet?
Pages: 1 [2] 3