Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dorfvault 2.0  (Read 10516 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfvault 2.0
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »

Now i am tempted to make several of these, each with a special thing that makes them Different from the other chambers. Then, POOF, Vault-tec vault experiments.

If you DO make a Armok-Tec sealed city, make sure you do it by Fallout 1 map of the vaults, not 3/NV style :p
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 08:59:21 pm »

Unfortunately, the save was destroyed because last month I was a worse DF player.

Now I plan to make the vault suspended in the caverns with the basement submerged, and fortifications walling off the water cistern so that the water can flow but creatures can't get in (grates can be destroyed). This should get good results. The well should be made of as many artifacts as possible.
My wooden badge was delicious.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 09:12:47 pm »

Unfortunately, the save was destroyed because last month I was a worse DF player.

Now I plan to make the vault suspended in the caverns with the basement submerged, and fortifications walling off the water cistern so that the water can flow but creatures can't get in (grates can be destroyed). This should get good results. The well should be made of as many artifacts as possible.

Great. I can see it now. the brand new Armok-Complex. Dwarves live their entire lives in this city underneath the aquifer, never realizing that there is an outside world. They spend their entire lives from the moment they are decanted from the spawning vats preparing for their lives making woolen socks in the colors appropriate for the sector, which has been conveniently color-coded using gems and rocks to ensure that they stay in their burrows. Day-in-day-out they toil for the supposed will of the Cinnbar bridge they have deified and believe is always watching them. Trust the Bridge. The Bridge is your friend.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:11 pm »

It has a self-destruct device, right?

Right?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »

It has a self-destruct device, right?

Right?
You could pretty easily add one.

a buttload of water X# *everyone*

Hook the floodgate up to a secret lever for infinite profit.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 06:26:14 am »

Creatures can get pushed through flooded fortifications/bars broham. You need to pull it through a floor grate via pump. Wall around and over it and it's a perfect seal since they can't destroy constructions above them if they cannot path to it. (make sure a ramp doesn't reach the grate)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 08:28:02 am »

I keep seeing people here stating that military dwarves dont mood.

Really?

Since when?

As far as I know, (and its always been this way since i've played), absolutely any dwarf who has not mooded is eligible.  This includes children and military (not babies it seems).  What is generally predictable however is that your military dwarves will mood to the craftsdwarf workshop, see below for why this is.

When a mood strikes it takes the highest moodable skill the dwarf has, assuming it is competent or higher.  If it fails to find such a skill then you get a random craftsdwarf mood.

If this has really changed then it must have been recent and gone unnoticed by me :S
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 08:54:39 am »

Really?

Since when?

As far as I know, (and its always been this way since i've played), absolutely any dwarf who has not mooded is eligible.  This includes children and military (not babies it seems).  What is generally predictable however is that your military dwarves will mood to the craftsdwarf workshop, see below for why this is.

When a mood strikes it takes the highest moodable skill the dwarf has, assuming it is competent or higher.  If it fails to find such a skill then you get a random craftsdwarf mood.

If this has really changed then it must have been recent and gone unnoticed by me :S

I've seen reports from players that on-duty military dwarves don't seem to mood, as long as they stays on duty ( With military profession, instead of civilian ). However I wouldn't rely on it, particularly since as you mentioned, children will mood too. AFAIK, total possible moods are more limited by how many tiles are dug out/shown, at least in old versions, but it could've changed.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:28 am »

Yes that certainly used to be a factor.

Fort population must be or exceed 20 individuals, then there was a certain number of tiles needed revealing, presumably you need to reveal a certain number more than when your last mood struck, or a certain number in the past year.  Not sure exactly

I also have this weird idea that you needed to run at least 'X' many jobs at a number of workshops such as carpenter and mason too within the previous so many months, but I think thats actually for the monarch.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 09:12:57 am »

Yes that certainly used to be a factor.

Fort population must be or exceed 20 individuals, then there was a certain number of tiles needed revealing, presumably you need to reveal a certain number more than when your last mood struck, or a certain number in the past year.  Not sure exactly

I also have this weird idea that you needed to run at least 'X' many jobs at a number of workshops such as carpenter and mason too within the previous so many months, but I think thats actually for the monarch.

Well, in older version, 40d, I believe, you do need certain amount of items made to have moods, being minimum of what's made or how much's been dug out. Not sure if it was wealth or sheer number, but it was a factor in 40d, I know I saw reports of that part changing in versions after. Hopefully someone do know the factors since I believe the wiki's information's out of date.

Minuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 09:22:28 am »

Neat idea.  Just remember to deliver a bunch of extra water chips to the Vault so that nothing unfortunate happens.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:29 am »

Really?

Since when?

According to the wiki, any dwarf active in the military, above the rank of "recruit" is ineligible for strange moods.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood

Pages: 1 2 [3]