Sealing one or two breeding pairs of useless dwarfs into a self-sufficient bunker sounds like a good idea, right? I thought so too! Then I heard that insanity and moods were a large problem. So here's my updated version that should remain safe for a very long time.What it contains
First we have the necessities of dwarfen life.
- A 5x5 plump helmet farm plot
- A still
Then the things that they'd like to keep them happy, all engraved by my near-legendary engraver:
- A dining room
- Twelve line-design bedrooms with doors, coffers and cabinets
Then we move onto some of the ways to avert waste buildup and acquire nice resources:
- A dwarfen atom-smasher, designed by my best architect and therefore capable of causing a happy thought
- The top level is built on loam, meaning tower-caps and cavern plants will grow - essential for
- a herd of sheep, which provide fiber, bones and meat
And now we reach the hard part: allowing strange-mood dwarfs to craft their crafts in an enclosed space. Some of the resources produced are finite (no way to make stone without opening a vent to the outside, even if it's just full of lava and water - magma crabs!), and some are wholly unavailable (screw you, Urist McNeedsfiftyshellstonotgoinsane!), but on the whole, any dwarf that enters a strange mood has a fighting chance for sanity.
- A butcher's shop to process the sheep herd
- A carpenter's shop to process the tower-caps and fungiwood that grow in the top floor
- A craftsdwarf's workshop for strange moods
- Some rocks laying around -in the long run, they will run out but by then we should have a large enough vault population for it not to matter
Then we have safety feature (we only need one), to take out any insane dwarfs that fail to complete their strange moods:
- Serrated disc traps at every exit to every room
And here are the miscellaneous things I've added to combat insanity on other levels:
- A kitchen to process waste sheep parts and prevent miasma
- Some pig tail farm plots: combined with the sheep this should keep the clothing industry going well
- An entire clothing industry of workshops, including leather tanning
It's currently under construction, but all that's really left to do is wait for the food stockpile to fill up with re-usable bins and the masons to finish making the furniture. Certainly it's not a compact design, but it should also be sustainable in most eventualities. If I've forgotten anything, feel free to let me know, but there are two self-imposed rules here, both subsets of "no exposure":
- It cannot be exposed or visible from the surface, so no glass roof to combat cave adaptation and light the place up. Our brave bunker-dwellers will eat plump helmets every damned day of their lives.
- It cannot be open to anywhere. This includes fluid flows like water or magma. If anyone gets wounded (and is still sane), there's no water source for them so they'll die if they don't recover - on the other hand, there shouldn't be anything to maim them if our berserkers get sliced in half as soon as they leave the craftsdwarf's workshop.
And here's a final thought that I've had trouble with: Ghosts. There is no room for coffins in this vault. So we have two actions:
- Bury the dead dwarfs, then atomize the coffins with the cinnabar drawbridge. I don't know if this counts as "memorialized" even after the coffins are destroyed - hopefully it does.
- Do absolutely nothing. These dwarves should be socializing 24/7 and are surrounded by luxuries - they should be very happy so their ghosts wouldn't interfere too much. On the other hand, if we're very unlucky a berserker will manage to kill someone and TANTRUM SPIRAL!! But berserkers dying would count as a tragedy anyway. Hopefully all the *gabbro bins* and legendary dining rooms will placate them enough to prevent this.