Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dorfvault 2.0  (Read 10470 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Dorfvault 2.0
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:25:07 pm »

Dorfvaults 2.0

Sealing one or two breeding pairs of useless dwarfs into a self-sufficient bunker sounds like a good idea, right? I thought so too! Then I heard that insanity and moods were a large problem. So here's my updated version that should remain safe for a very long time.

What it contains

First we have the necessities of dwarfen life.
  • A 5x5 plump helmet farm plot
  • A still
Then the things that they'd like to keep them happy, all engraved by my near-legendary engraver:
  • A dining room
  • Twelve line-design bedrooms with doors, coffers and cabinets
Then we move onto some of the ways to avert waste buildup and acquire nice resources:
  • A dwarfen atom-smasher, designed by my best architect and therefore capable of causing a happy thought
  • The top level is built on loam, meaning tower-caps and cavern plants will grow - essential for
  • a herd of sheep, which provide fiber, bones and meat
And now we reach the hard part: allowing strange-mood dwarfs to craft their crafts in an enclosed space. Some of the resources produced are finite (no way to make stone without opening a vent to the outside, even if it's just full of lava and water - magma crabs!), and some are wholly unavailable (screw you, Urist McNeedsfiftyshellstonotgoinsane!), but on the whole, any dwarf that enters a strange mood has a fighting chance for sanity.
  • A butcher's shop to process the sheep herd
  • A carpenter's shop to process the tower-caps and fungiwood that grow in the top floor
  • A craftsdwarf's workshop for strange moods
  • Some rocks laying around -in the long run, they will run out but by then we should have a large enough vault population for it not to matter
Then we have safety feature (we only need one), to take out any insane dwarfs that fail to complete their strange moods:
  • Serrated disc traps at every exit to every room
And here are the miscellaneous things I've added to combat insanity on other levels:
  • A kitchen to process waste sheep parts and prevent miasma
  • Some pig tail farm plots: combined with the sheep this should keep the clothing industry going well
  • An entire clothing industry of workshops, including leather tanning

It's currently under construction, but all that's really left to do is wait for the food stockpile to fill up with re-usable bins and the masons to finish making the furniture. Certainly it's not a compact design, but it should also be sustainable in most eventualities. If I've forgotten anything, feel free to let me know, but there are two self-imposed rules here, both subsets of "no exposure":
  • It cannot be exposed or visible from the surface, so no glass roof to combat cave adaptation and light the place up. Our brave bunker-dwellers will eat plump helmets every damned day of their lives.
  • It cannot be open to anywhere. This includes fluid flows like water or magma. If anyone gets wounded (and is still sane), there's no water source for them so they'll die if they don't recover - on the other hand, there shouldn't be anything to maim them if our berserkers get sliced in half as soon as they leave the craftsdwarf's workshop.

And here's a final thought that I've had trouble with: Ghosts. There is no room for coffins in this vault. So we have two actions:
  • Bury the dead dwarfs, then atomize the coffins with the cinnabar drawbridge. I don't know if this counts as "memorialized" even after the coffins are destroyed - hopefully it does.
  • Do absolutely nothing. These dwarves should be socializing 24/7 and are surrounded by luxuries - they should be very happy so their ghosts wouldn't interfere too much. On the other hand, if we're very unlucky a berserker will manage to kill someone and TANTRUM SPIRAL!! But berserkers dying would count as a tragedy anyway. Hopefully all the *gabbro bins* and legendary dining rooms will placate them enough to prevent this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:27:05 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfvault 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

One of your chosen will be a vampire.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

Screenshots?
I want to see the design!

I will laugh long and hard if one of them is a vampire or a were-whatever.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:44:06 pm »

Okay, here's a cobbled-together diagram. Forgive me, for my MS Paint skills are weak.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:31:50 pm »

Top layer on loam? Close to surface? Sorta neat.

+1 if you build it deep underground, submerge it in magma, and make a farm plot and dirt area by bucket-brigade.

Well, I know what my fort's side project will be while my endless group of classless peasants hauls out all the stone out of my grand hall that I'm excavating. Will give the miners something to do.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

Now i am tempted to make several of these, each with a special thing that makes them Different from the other chambers. Then, POOF, Vault-tec vault experiments.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:12 pm »

Now i am tempted to make several of these, each with a special thing that makes them Different from the other chambers. Then, POOF, Vault-tec vault experiments.
"This one will have upright spikes in every bedroom activated by a pressure plate located in the trade depot entrance!"

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »

I was thinking of doing this. Since I use masterwork mod I was thinking of making a library with every skill known written in its books. THe library would be sealed off and reopened if one of the vaults saved the fotress. I will probably have 2 so one can be used when the fortress is safe. SO the other one is safe from a berserker destroying it. I probably would not have every skill as that is hard to do. I also had an idea of very small vaults ment for one or two dwarfs and big research centers. I'm gonna expirement.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:43 pm »

The Temptation grows too strong. I wonder what to make? What are the pillars of dwarfdom that I can glorify?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

Couldn't you have water access if you built the structure through an aquifer? You'd have to pierce the aquifer, naturally, but you could isolate a single aquifer block and let it provide a neverending supply of clean, fresh water. You could even run a waterfall off it for more happy thoughts!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »

Speaking of that, I should try to find my current map's aquifer. I've been digging around and haven't been able to find it. I should build the vault on top of that.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:27 pm »

Couldn't you have water access if you built the structure through an aquifer? You'd have to pierce the aquifer, naturally, but you could isolate a single aquifer block and let it provide a neverending supply of clean, fresh water. You could even run a waterfall off it for more happy thoughts!
That's a very good idea. I've only been playing for about two months so I don't feel skilled enough to embark at an aquifer yet :I but this is only a vague design so improvements are welcome.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »

You won't magically become skilled enough to embark with an aquifer if you don't embark with aquifers :D

I like them now, as plumbing clean water into a fort can be a real issue without one.
Of course I just lost a fort to one as well. The aquifer giveth and the aquifer taketh away.
Or really, the aquifer giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth, and giveth.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 01:45:40 am »

First you hate aquifers, then you learn to love them, then you learn to install drainage for your dining hall as a matter of principle.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:30 pm »

Okay. One day I'm sure I'll move on to aquifers.

Anyway, I forgot to post the labours that every dwarf will have enabled (yes, it's an equal opportunity bunker):
- farming (fields), all the clothes ones (can't remember them), brewing, butchery and cooking.
- mechanics, to operate that nifty drawbridge
- bonecrafting, carpentry, woodcrafting, leatherworking and the clothes crafting labours

Not sure if Animal Care is needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3