Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-exploity way to prevent HFS  (Read 1614 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-exploity way to prevent HFS
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:23:18 pm »

Caution: This thread will contain unmarked spoilers. If you don't know what "HFS" stands for, read no further.

Okay, here's my idea, which I just tested to *some* success. If you're unsure whether or not to dig into a tube, before digging, smooth it out and engrave fortifications in it. You'll be able to see through and tell if its hollow before actually digging.

The problem is that if it *is* hollow, you'll trigger the HFS -- its just that the residents won't be able to get to you.
The dwarven road-dar is obviously the better solution, but this one doesn't rely on exploits, for people who are uncomfortable about them.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-exploity way to prevent HFS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:44 pm »

I would argue that whilst you should be able to see through fortifications, carving a fortification so that you can see into hell without the demons getting to you is sort of an exploit of its own. Also, I'd imagine this would still impact FPS issues right? Since the HFS is still triggered and all.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:18 pm »

If I remember correctly, during advanced world gen procedures, you can just forbid the magma sea and bottom layer.

I think that just keeps hfs from existing from the beginning.

If that doesn't work, you could set demon types to 0.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:22 pm »

If I remember correctly, during advanced world gen procedures, you can just forbid the magma sea and bottom layer.

I think that just keeps hfs from existing from the beginning.

If that doesn't work, you could set demon types to 0.

Of course. But there's a difference between having demons that you actively avoid, and having no demons at all.

I would argue that whilst you should be able to see through fortifications, carving a fortification so that you can see into hell without the demons getting to you is sort of an exploit of its own. Also, I'd imagine this would still impact FPS issues right? Since the HFS is still triggered and all.
Yeah, frame rate gets hit. That's why the roaddar is the better option. As to whether this is an exploit too... well, the point about exploits is they're sort of user-defined. Some people might be comfortable with one and not the other, and that's fine. I'm just presenting more options.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:49 pm »

Some clowns can go through a fortification slit, such as creatures made of vapor, like spirits of mist, IIRC.

Others can shoot their deadly flower lapels through the slit and melt your face off, or introduce the deadly neurotoxin.

Your mileage may vary.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »

Some clowns can go through a fortification slit, such as creatures made of vapor, like spirits of mist, IIRC.

Others can shoot their deadly flower lapels through the slit and melt your face off, or introduce the deadly neurotoxin.

Your mileage may vary.