Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More trainable animals!  (Read 3098 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More trainable animals!
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:01:56 am »

I built a fort on a tundra and there isn't much on the surface other than snow covered plains. I have a few hunters scouring the endless white fields for what little animal life there is to catch.
But from time to time a pack of wolves would wander around the map before vanishing beyond the snow. I thought, Hey! War Wolves! That would be so awesome if my military could rush at the enemy with a pack of war wolves at their side.
To my dismay, wolves are not trainable. Nor are the Yetis by the way.

A wolf is larger than a dog so there's really no reason why it couldn't be used in a battle.

Turns out in a tundra environment there is nothing above ground that I can train for war.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More trainable animals!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:38:20 am »

I agree. Training animals and using/interacting with them is an awesome feature. Also, wolves are domesticable even IRL so I don't see why they wouldn't be trainable.

Yetis are a different story.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:21:56 am »

"In Communist Himalayas, Yeti trains you!", to badly morph the meme.

However, there's always the possibility of changing your Raw tags[1].

IRL, it seems that proto-dog-like wolves 'trained' early humans, as much as humans 'trained' the wolves.  But that's a complex issue.  Modern attempts at wolf-training are quite concerted efforts, or involve breeding them into dog germ-lines to get wolfier-than-dogs, doggier-than-wolves offspring.

(Or, like with a certain Russian experiment, not with wolves but another normally wild species, is a matter of mass-breeding a certain type of wild animal segregating (and inter-breeding only among their own set) those that exhibit human-friendly behaviour from those that exhibit human-hostile behaviour...  With the interesting side-effect that the physiognomy of the 'friendly' line changes to simultaneously give them the same "puppy dog" features (even though being non-canine!).  Indicating some link (if one can perhaps exclude experimenter bias of attitude, that creeps into the selection process) between the physical phenotype and the mental make-up, in those genetic switches.  "Puppyfication", perhaps, in keeping them mentally/physically infantile, compared to their wild-attitude brethren?)

But, back to DF, the recent changes made training more prevalent (but graded by difficulty, according to familiarity) and perhaps everything should be trainable, in the right circumstances...  Yes, this probably means "Fido, the Ampersand" should be possible, albeit very difficult.  That is unless (and I'm not too sure about this detail) it'd have the [SENTIENT] quality.

(But how about a 'young' [SENTIENT], not that there's that many Ampersands but there are others of other races, being adopted.  Which also leads to the possibility of feral infant [SENTIENT]s having a small chance of 'adopted' by a wild animal.  Would add a bit of variety to find feral dwarf-children raised by wolves, or feral elven ones raised by anteaters, or somesuch...  There's already the mechanics of Goblin kidnap and re-raising as Goblins, which can be re-tasked or developed for more global use whenever a sufficiently young other-race infant is encountered.  Probably needs to be limited to social/pack animals.  A "Feral 'desert scorpion'-child" doesn't sound so likely...  But... possible?  Ahem, but I drift off of the original topic, somewhat.)

[1] I think it's still something that can be changed without re-worldgenning.  It's how I got War Elephants, but that was back in 40d.  These days, I think you can already get War Elephants via the new training scheme, given the right setup.  And obviously biome (or Elf trade importation).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:39:57 am »

I'm pretty sure that experiment was/is done with a certain type of foxes.

While I agree that some things should be trainable, I don't think that evil magical beast  should be trainable.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:28 am »

I'm pretty sure that experiment was/is done with a certain type of foxes.
That's the one.  Couldn't think which animal it was, at the time of posting.  Knew it wasn't canine[1] or feline... Vulpine, yup...

[1] Although "vulipini" is a subset of "canidae", as is the "caninae", and below that the "canis" genus encompassing 'dogs' of various kinds, including dogs-as-we-know-them and wolves.  I suppose it depends how far you care to extend "canine" up that particular nomenclature.

Tacolishous

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Too complicated? No. You're just too simple.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

I personally would just like to be able to train the animals designated as exotic. I know there's a way to change it in the .int or something files so you can, but I don't really want to risk completely screwing something to hell. If I did, I would have to sit through another hour long download. I can play Crysis on max graphics but a download of this game takes an entire hour. Maybe I already broke something, come to think of it...
I wish I didn't talk so much.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:36:53 am »

I personally would just like to be able to train the animals designated as exotic. I know there's a way to change it in the .int or something files so you can, but I don't really want to risk completely screwing something to hell. If I did, I would have to sit through another hour long download. I can play Crysis on max graphics but a download of this game takes an entire hour. Maybe I already broke something, come to think of it...
I wish I didn't talk so much.
I'm pretty sure you already can.
It's only a high risk thingy.

As for downloads taking to long, try another mirror. Df's servers ain't that good.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:14 am »

(Off the main topic, but if I ever get a chance to download from "Main Site, Mirror 1, Mirror 2, etc", or just "Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3, etc", I usually go for not-the-first, as my first choice, before bouncing around (this time willing to go for the first, but still not my automatic choice) if I encounter a failure or delay in the download from my first approach.  But I choose 'randomly' among those that I can choose from, so that I might collide with those who habitually choose #2, or those who would choose #3, but I also might not.  Although I don't exclude the last item in the list, especially in a short list, I also slightly bias away from that one, too in case too many people's rule-of-thumb is that they always choose the last in the list.  If there's only two to choose from, well, it's a crapshoot.  So, anyway, that's my (((meta-)meta-)meta-)strategy.  And now that I've told everyone, I probably need to change to a different ((((meta-)meta-)meta-)meta-)strategy instead. ;) )

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

(Off the main topic, but if I ever get a chance to download from "Main Site, Mirror 1, Mirror 2, etc", or just "Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3, etc", I usually go for not-the-first, as my first choice, before bouncing around (this time willing to go for the first, but still not my automatic choice) if I encounter a failure or delay in the download from my first approach.  But I choose 'randomly' among those that I can choose from, so that I might collide with those who habitually choose #2, or those who would choose #3, but I also might not.  Although I don't exclude the last item in the list, especially in a short list, I also slightly bias away from that one, too in case too many people's rule-of-thumb is that they always choose the last in the list.  If there's only two to choose from, well, it's a crapshoot.  So, anyway, that's my (((meta-)meta-)meta-)strategy.  And now that I've told everyone, I probably need to change to a different ((((meta-)meta-)meta-)meta-)strategy instead. ;) )

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thing is, in my humble opinion, most animals should be tamable by default. If you don't wanna tame them, you won't order your dwarves to do so. And if you REALLY don't wanna tame them, THEN you can just take the tag away.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:52:18 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

Thing is, in my humble opinion, most animals should be tamable by default. If you don't wanna tame them, you won't order your dwarves to do so. And if you REALLY don't wanna tame them, THEN you can just take the tag away.
Sound like you're not far off my opinion, but not sure if saying this is enough of a contribution to justify my (now two-fold) off-topic commentaries.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:10:28 am »

I think you can just add [TRAINABLE] to the creature you want to be trainable.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 11:33:29 am »

I think you can just add [TRAINABLE] to the creature you want to be trainable.

You certainly can, but that would fall under the modding thread, whereas this thread is (to the best of my knowledge) aboutthings added officially to the game.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.