Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions on defensive structures  (Read 447 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions on defensive structures
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Hi. I was after some information on a few defensive options I'd rather not learn about the hard way:

Will BUILDINGDESTROYER critters break down walls? My previous fortress I made sure all external facing walls were protected by an airgap as well, but I may have been a trifle on the paranoid side...

Do SWIMS_INNATE creatures like trolls need air (ie can they go through enclosed, completely full, tunnels)?

I know in Adventurer mode you can get out of a water filled trench provided you are not drowning. Does this apply to swimmers (especially critters) in fortress mode too?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions on defensive structures
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

I'm not sure about building destroyers breaking down walls.  I think the answer is no, but I'd like to find out for sure.

Innate swimmers still need air, unless they're amphibious.  They just don't need to train in the kiddie pool before they can swim.

I don't think standard creatures can get out of a pool without ramps or stairs or something.  However, I'm not sure.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

I would think that as long as the water is 4 deep they can climb out. I had cave crocs, olmmen, giant olms and a giant toad climb out of a river to terrorize my defenseless fort once.  But those all have the amphibious tag so that may be different.

However without the amphibious tag I don't think they will intentionally path into the water.  I had a fort with some rather dangerous wildlife and they didn't seem interested in crossing the moat I dug, even though they had swims innate in their raws.

This is all just passive observation...I could be wrong.  When in doubt build a 10 z-level high wall with catapaults and archer slits with a magma moat. Must menace with spikes of 500 large serrated blade traps and vicious war dogs.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Trolls, dragons, and demons all seem to respect walls.  Trolls and dragons seem to respect my raised drawbridges with no moat.  At the least, they path around them preferably.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

1. No

2. Yes, unless they're a fish and/or have the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag

3. You can climb out of a river unless you're drowning, or the wall is taller than 1 z level.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.