Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Diablo 2: LOD  (Read 11134 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Diablo 2: LOD
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:36:50 am »

So since I have absolutely nothing to do lately, I have decided that I shall do a Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction screenshot LP.

I've been playing the game for years, but mainly as one class, and I still tend to make very stupid choices the majority of the time. So if you see me doing something stupid: Please tell me.

Certain characters have skills that can make the better at using certain weapons, although they should be fine using weapons outside of their comfort zone.

First off, we shall need a character. No poll, because I don't feel like making one. Here are your choices : 

Spoiler: Amazon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assassin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Necromancer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Barbarian (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Paladin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sorceress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Druid (click to show/hide)

And after that we need a name.

Edit: If you have any questions about the game, just ask. I'm mildly versed in Diablo stuff.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:30:11 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Diablo 2: LOD
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:45:02 am »

Curious how a screenshot LP of this will really work, especially since the tougher, and thus generally more interesting, fights are usually pretty frantic.

As for character, really torn. Probably leaning towards Necro or Sorc, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:48:06 am »

Curious how a screenshot LP of this will really work, especially since the tougher, and thus generally more interesting, fights are usually pretty frantic.

As for character, really torn. Probably leaning towards Necro or Sorc, though.

My general idea on how to make it work is just take as many screenshots as possible in large battles. An obviously fool proof plan if I do say so may self.  :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:46:49 pm by joemoben »
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:35 am »

If i were to make a LP of D2 i'd play as a Summon Necro... just because how affing effortless this bastich is.

Upsides:
Plenty of time to take screenshots since once you get a army going you don't really have to do anything aside of casting curses and replacing any losses since your skellies usually get the beating for you.
Bigass battles between 2 armies (especially later).

Downsides:
Boring as heck.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

If i were to make a LP of D2 i'd play as a Summon Necro... just because how affing effortless this bastich is.

Upsides:
Plenty of time to take screenshots since once you get a army going you don't really have to do anything aside of casting curses and replacing any losses since your skellies usually get the beating for you.
Bigass battles between 2 armies (especially later).

Downsides:
Boring as heck.
Funnily enough, that's how I normally play necro, because I'm a pansy and like things to fight for me.

Edit:  Are the pictures showing up for everyone? I know a lot of people have problems with them, so I'd like to check, just in case.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:58:05 pm by joemoben »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:47 pm »

I say Paladin, going for Zeal and hitting stuff with weapons. (And not that wussy mystic hammer skill. ugh.) Oh, and he works well with Scepters, although he's ok with Swords too.

How does a Summon Necro make it past Act 4's boss? He has a rather nasty Flame Nova which OHKOs everything except me, my golem and my mercenary when I try it.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:42:25 pm »

Be a druid. It sounds entertaining.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »

Well tomorrow the class will be chosen, hopefully we'll get some more votes, because right now the votes are all over the board.

We also need a name for our character, so get choosing.

Edit:  And Burnt, what golem are you using?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:34:27 pm by joemoben »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:50 am »

How does a Summon Necro make it past Act 4's boss? He has a rather nasty Flame Nova which OHKOs everything except me, my golem and my mercenary when I try it.

It depends on your build and patch. For example the old Skeletons (before patch 1.09 i think) were utter crap. They were plantiful (1 per skill level) but really really weak. after the buff they became tough as nails tho.
With high enough Summon Skeleton/Skeleton Mastery skellies should survive one nova.
Also Skeletal Mages have somewhat high resists.

The standard tactic is as with most classes.
Get to diablo.
Set a town portal.
Watch them chip away at his health till they all die.
Enter portal.
Rebuild army.
Repeat as needed.

Once you get 20 Skeleton Warrior 20 Skeleton mastery you will end up murdering most bosses by standing in place and spamming the amplify damage curse on them since skellies at that poing become ridiculously hard to hit and take damage like bosses (For example i never noticed that certain mobs in Act 3 deal AOE damage upon death untill i played a Barb and had to drink a potion on normal a after killing 2-3 of them).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:59:10 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:55:05 am »

You can get screenshots to be taken every X seconds using fraps.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

I know, but that will be complete friggen murder on my hard drive. So, any last minute names? The most voted for thing at the moment is Necro, so that's what's going to get played if there are no last minute votes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

Druid.  I'd like to see someone actually play it well, instead of how I tend to play druid.

I could get all the way to Act IV, but then the enemy swarm got too much for me.  Also, the "town" area in Hell is kind of barren.  Granted, it is Hell after all, but still...

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:30:07 pm »

Druid.  I'd like to see someone actually play it well, instead of how I tend to play druid.

I could get all the way to Act IV, but then the enemy swarm got too much for me.  Also, the "town" area in Hell is kind of barren.  Granted, it is Hell after all, but still...
The only problem in that is expecting me to play well.  :P

So, it looks like druid, since it's gotten 2 votes, while the runner up, the Necro got what I'd call a half vote.

I'm going to go research druid, and in the meantime, start making names.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:21:33 pm »

Sooo... summon druid?
Those second wolves can be nasty.
Self promotion below.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »

I reckon I'll let you guys do the skill choosing. Hopefully it will lead to generous amounts of !!FUN!!
Pages: [1] 2