Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games with an arab/muslim theme?  (Read 12955 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with an arab/muslim theme?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:03 am »

Prince of Persia was one of the first things which came to mind but yeah I'm pretty sure it's only desert themed at this point.
Spice Trade - old indie game about being a spice trader in 14th century Iraq. Graphics are stylized to look like medieval art. Never really got into it, but it was fairly popular on freeware game sites back when it was released.
This is pretty cool, but I just went on a pilgrimage and this holy man poisoned me for no reason and I died because the doctor didn't cure it. God dammit.
If you are up for something really old, Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire :)
What is it about, though?
Civilization 5 allows you to play as Darius of Persia and Harun al-rashid of the Ottomans. There's probably also Arabian civilizations in the earlier games.
Al-Rashid is the leader of Arabia in civ5. And no wonder, seeing how the historical figure died centuries before the emergence of Ottomans.

Oh, by the way, in the fantasy civ4 mod called Fall from Heaven, the Malakim civilization is modelled on the Arabian theme, complete with the world turning into deserts under their cultural influence.

The Malakim did come to mind when I was thinking of this, so I'll get around to that.
Anyhow... Medieval Total War 2 lets you play a Muslim country.
M:TW2 does let you be arab, but is there anything flavour-wise that makes it better than playing, say, eu3 as an arab country?

Keep them suggestions coming though!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 08:05:13 am »

I'm not going to be the one to say The You Testament 2, am I?

Totally saying The You Testament 2.

I'm also desperate to hear of any other answers, because I'd like to see some stuff like this.

I know one of the Uncharted Waters games had a pretty clearly Ottoman or Arab captain you could play as.  I don't know how much that flavoring factored into his story though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43:50 am »

Medieval total war has some good Muslim civs and there are a few mods for kingdoms that do total conversions to the middle east.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:11:22 am »

Medieval total war has some good Muslim civs and there are a few mods for kingdoms that do total conversions to the middle east.

this is true, for M2TW try broken crescent mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346 , it shifts the center of the map from italy to persia, and is also more historically acurrate. I totally recommend it, no comparison with Vanilla M2TW when it comes to play as muslim!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 10:21:05 am »

The Shantae sereis is a platformer with a fairly strong arabian theme.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:26:40 am by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 10:21:48 am »

There is "Telepath RPG: Servants of God", but I haven't actually tried it so I don't know if its any good.  Its supposed to be middle-east/steampunk themed.  Not sure if that is really what you are looking for though.

http://sinisterdesign.net/?page_id=267
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:08 am »

I never got around to playing it so can't say how good/bad the game is (or if its even still available), but Nadirim is a fantasy FTP online RPG set in a Arabian fantasy world. Here's the article about it I remember seeing:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/07/free-to-play-nadirim-launches-today/

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

The Magic Carpet games were fantasy-Arabic. I mean....you're on a flying carpet, for gods' sake.

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse was another fantasy-Arabic one.

There's always Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator. Okay, technically you're Israel in that, but the game is certainly focused on the Arab world.

And I believe there was a Civ4: Warlords mod focused around controlling the trade routes through the Middle East.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:59 am »

bomberman?

*had to mention it, sorry*
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:37 am »

*had to mention it, sorry*
No you did not.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:22 am »

Rise of Legends had the Alin, which were pretty awesomely Arab inspired, not much beyond that sadly.

(Unless you fancy clockpunk/steampunk Italians and alien tech Mayas/Aztecs)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:10 am »

No, but in all legitness has anyone mentioned quest for glory 2? never played it but I think it be themed as such
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:43 am »

Had my eye on this for ages but just haven't found time to try it out.

Colonize Europe!

Start from nothing and dominate another continent. Spread the influence of your culture while creating your own empire! Since the 14th century, Europe has been a global super power when it started colonizing other continents. But what if history had gone a different way? What would Europe be like if Asia had prevailed?

Abu Al-Qazzaz is the main character in Spice Trade. He is a poor young man from Baghdad, who has inherited a house and some land.. oh, and he wants to get married too. Abu decides to try his luck in the spice game. He has to prevent the European countries from gaining a trade monopoly. Will Abu be able to beat out the Europeans in the spice trade? Could Europe have been different? How? You decide!

http://www.spicetrade.org/index.html

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:47 am »

You could also try playing Mount & Blade as the Sarranids, they're the generic Arabian faction.

Then there are the various Dune games. That setting feels very Arabian to me, anyway.

Finally, I'd strongly reccomend Anno 1403. I seem to recall enjoying building the Arabic settlements in that, which is a good thing as your European settlements won't get past mud huts without a spice trade.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »

No, but in all legitness has anyone mentioned quest for glory 2? never played it but I think it be themed as such

I like your style dude. Like how you don't let reading the thread get in the way of your casual racism.

The only one I can think of is that terrible Garshasp the Monster Slayer game. I remember some of the pre-release stuff surrounding it featured the developers talking about how middle eastern influences aren't really represented in gaming much at all mostly because most games developers aren't from a middle eastern background.

I guess it's a shame their game was kind of poo, I'd love to see some more focus on non-western/non-japanese mythology and cultures.

Pages: 1 [2] 3