Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games with an arab/muslim theme?  (Read 12941 times)

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with an arab/muslim theme?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 12:44:09 pm »

And I like your style, brah. Like how you don't let reading get in your way of posting a misquote. ;)

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »

And I like your style, brah. Like how you don't let reading get in your way of posting a misquote. ;)

I like your style too, buddy. Like how you don't let misquotes and casual racism get in the way of your detracting from the appropriate topic.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

I'm not going to be the one to say The You Testament 2, am I?

Totally saying The You Testament 2.

I'm also desperate to hear of any other answers, because I'd like to see some stuff like this.
That's less Arab themed and more MDickie themed. Avoid unless you actively njoy bad games that misrepresent beliefs by some guy with an ego the size of Eurasia.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »

Quest for Glory 2 : Trial by Fire is an excellent Arab/Persian themed game taking a lot from middle-eastern mythology like djinn and elementals.  Currently recording it for a let's play.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »

No EU3? If you haven't heard of it. Fairly self explanatory.

Not to steal the thread or anything, but are there any games other than Unreal World with a Finnish/Pagan/Scandinavian Wilderness theme?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »

I think you may need to start another thread for that. Unless they get out of hand, no need to have that rolled into this one. Plus your question will have more visibility

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 03:35:20 pm »

Erm? I quoted the guy's post where he basically said "I didn't read the thread." Do you know what misquote means? Because it means the opposite of "quoting the thing you're directly commenting on." :S

Also, since I think the well has kind of run dry for middle-eastern themed video games. Why exactly does everyone consider the latest Prince of Persias to not be in this category? I've not played them in ages, but from what I can remember their settings and plots are all directly inspired by middle eastern stuff. The architechture of the levels is also heavily arabian nights style. I know one of the more recent ones had a djinn as a major character.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:11 pm »

huh, quest for glory was actually like the 3rd post, I did read it, however it must of slipped.

And in fairness Fen DID quote me 100% accurately.

EDIT: Although your sarcasm wounds me deeply, Fen.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:48:39 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 04:22:29 pm »

I'm not going to be the one to say The You Testament 2, am I?

Totally saying The You Testament 2.

I'm also desperate to hear of any other answers, because I'd like to see some stuff like this.

I know one of the Uncharted Waters games had a pretty clearly Ottoman or Arab captain you could play as.  I don't know how much that flavoring factored into his story though.

http://www.mdickie.com/

Matt Fucking Dickie... an annoying self-righteous shovelware maker who has since found Jesus, and left programmming to become an annoying self-righteous youth minister.  He crapped out a pro-wrestling engine and reskinned it a dozen times.  Seriously, like a shitty Jeff Vogel, ALL his games are based on the same damn in-house engine.  Its final manifestations became an allegedly sincere tribute to the life and times of Jesus, followed by an allegedly sincerely tribute to the life and times of the Prophet Muhammad.  Watch as Jesus recruits his apostles and develops Jedi powers to battle the Pharisees on his way to Jerusalem.  Watch as the Prophet Muhammad bare-knuckle brawls his way against the kuffars in Mecca.  Both were stuck in the grey space between awful and hilariously awful.  His site said he returned to programming in 2011 and is porting his shit to mobile devices now.

I do second Uncharted Waters though.

Uncharted Waters was one of KOEI's great series before they became obsessed with releasing more Dynasty Warriors.  The UW2 was released on SNES, and its worth getting an emulator for.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »

huh, quest for glory was actually like the 3rd post, I did read it, however it must of slipped.

Whoops, I missed it too and mentioned it above.  Ah well... anyways, a great game.  Plus, if you beat the first quest for glory, you can import your character.  Pretty awesome feature for it's time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 05:36:15 pm »

I'd suggest Quest for Glory 2 (especially the remake) except I am not sure that even counts.

Are we seperating "Arabian" Theme as in Deserts and Turbans... or are we going for something closer to actual Arabia?

Because Quest for Glory 2 takes place in a country that has a Arabian coat of paint but is obviously not Arabia. Though if we are counting it then

Kings Quest 6 takes place in the Green Isles. The Island of the Crown is Arabian themed. As well a few Kings Quest involve you going to Arabian themed locations, but I havn't played through all of them to know. Kings Quest is probably the king of videogame fairytale fantasy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:45 pm »

Only glimpsed over the thread, but I don't think I saw Magic of Scheherazde(I butchered the spelling there), an NES RPG game.

It was pretty good, and about halfway through the game I laughed my ass off at the sight of some Arab-styled mermaids.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »

I don't want to put this in, but I might as well...

Magic Carpet

It can be very fun and very boring.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:16:32 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3]