Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to Modding  (Read 1020 times)

Trance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to Modding
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:25:37 am »

I've been inspired by masterworks to create some of my own mods. Not to say Masterworks isn't beautiful as it is, it just lacks a personal touch i'd like to create for myself.

So, in saying that a a quick question to get me started. I'll continue to add to this topic as I descover more questions.

Is it possible to have creatures spawn with equipment, that i want? How do I do that?
EG - I want ratmen to spawn with ratspears. (And I dont want to turn them into a "civ")

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: New to Modding
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:14 am »

There's currently no way to make wild (non-civilized) creatures spawn with any sort of items. They can have a "ratspear" body part that is made of a specific material and used in attacks, but that's kinda awkward...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:31:48 am »

That can be taken a bit out of context.

The sword hits the rat man in the ratspear, the severed part sails of in an arc!
The rat man gives in to pain.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Trance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:32 am »

Ok,

In the entity_default file, the last entity "[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]"
Is it possible to set something like this up and have the entity spawn in forests, rather then
subterranean areas?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:06 am »

I think that the camps for subterranean civs are part of the LAYER_LINKED token, unfortunately.

If they're not... hehe.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:41 am »

I'm also pretty sure that the LAYER_LINKED token confines the civ to subterranean existence.  It also makes the civ "hidden", in that it won't show up in the civ list.

You could try experimenting with giving them both LAYER_LINKED as well as some other biome placement tokens and see what happens.  Maybe add:

[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:10]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER:6]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM:4]
[START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE]

Or you could remove LAYER_LINKED and add in the above if they aren't compatible.  Or duplicate the Entity, change the name, remove LAYER_LINKED and add in the above for a subterranean and surface animal peoples.  You could also add siege requirements to the surface version to get yourself another sieging civ (which will make the game more !!FUN!!).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

Good luck and have fun with modding :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:37:15 am »

LAYER_LINKED afaik forces them in the caverns and make camps, they can also invade if given the right tokens. But they can show up on any cavern level, mainly the one you see their camps on (if no camp is in the embark site, it's hit and miss)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

You could make the civ a copy of the kobolds' civ, and set their starting biome and support to forest. Then add/subtract weapons as you please.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.