Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan of DOOM  (Read 1383 times)

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan of DOOM
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

So I have found a interesting little bit of information and subsequent displeasure of discovery. Note that some of this I have not done sufficient testing on so some of it may be incorrect. But anyway if you carve a downward stairway and then on the next level you build a up down stairway and then later on have a caravan run over it it destroys the upstairs part below leaving a downward stairway on the second level. This in essence traps anyone not on the surface from being able to access the depot. How i found this out? I had a caravan come to my fortress and then when I went to move goods to the depot none of them were showing up. I couldn't figure it out until I then attempted to build a bridge somewhere and got the no access to building materials error. I then saw that my internal stairway had changed to a downstairs only instead of a up-down stairway.

Does anyone know if this is normal for sand or if it occurs on other material after a trade caravan travels over the tiles? I would add this as a bug on mantis but for some reason the bug tracker wont email me after registering.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan of DOOM
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »

Constructed up/down stair? Never had them break on me. Dug up/down stair are easy to break if you designate areas to unramp, it also removes dug up stairs.

Sounds like you designated some deramping areas and accidentally hit the stairs ( if it's a dug one ), that's why I constructs stairs over dug stairs asap so I don't accidentally do it to myself.

If it's an constructed stairs, you could still accidentally designated it to be unconstructed, dwarves does it from below if they can.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »

Wagons cannot cross or even path over stair tiles unless hatched over, so they could not have run over your stairs and destroyed them if I am understanding your claim.  It's far more likely you accidentally deramped/deconstructed your stairs.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:28 pm »

Wagons cannot cross or even path over stair tiles unless hatched over, so they could not have run over your stairs and destroyed them if I am understanding your claim.  It's far more likely you accidentally deramped/deconstructed your stairs.

This might be what happened actually, because this was right after I just finished digging my moat.