Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nest boxes aren't getting claimed by turkeys  (Read 5787 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
nest boxes aren't getting claimed by turkeys
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:42:33 pm »

I have one gobbler and 7 hens. Also a migrant brought a chicken hen. The chicken claimed a nest box but the turkeys did not. they are all on the same pasture with the 8 nest boxes. According to the wiki I shouldn't be able to ever beat them out of the nest boxes, but on the contrary, they won't even go near them. What's the problem?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: nest boxes aren't getting claimed by turkeys
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

Sometimes it takes a while, how long have they been in there? Also they don't claim them permanently, just from time to time. Do you have any "turkey hen egg" in your stocks?

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »

Don't know. The game just crashed and I lost half a year. Have to build up a bunch of things all over again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:09 am »

if your dwarfs collect the eggs before you notice, you'll never see a claimed nest box. They only claim a nest box when they need to lay eggs and while they try to hatch those eggs. It's not like a bedroom that they claim for life
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:08:31 am »

The birds will only claim the nest boxes and lay every so often, and the second the eggs are laid one of your dwarfs will come to haul them to a food stockpile.  You really have to be watching like a hawk to have a chance of forbidding them in time.  The best thing to do is disable eggs on all of your food stockpiles so no dwarf comes to haul them away.  You should also turn off the cooking of turkey eggs in the z-Kitchen screen so your cook doesn't come over and grab them straight out of the nest to make biscuits.  Finally, be sure your nest boxes are not in a heavily-trafficked area.  If a dwarf blunders through and displaces a mother bird from her nest for even a tick, the eggs will stop incubating and will not hatch.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

Or you could just build a room specifically designed for hatching and lock the door. Make sure the pasture's big enough, though!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:37 am »

Not a problem with turkeys or other domesticated animals, but animal trainers reinforcing the training on an animal will handle it roughly enough to pull it off the nest box. As if breeding elk birds wasn't difficult enough...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:19 am »

I'm pretty sure OP thinks a bird claims a nest box permanently, and that has been the misunderstanding (note the amount of nestboxes compared to the number of egg layers, half is more than enough)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:35:18 am »

Thanks or all the help! I can get down to breeding turkeys now.