Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 319297 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF? (Now the Bay12 Space program)
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »

One of the main problem is that Chloroplasts cannot simply be inserted into animal cells, as some of their genetic functions have been moved to the nucleus.

And so, we shall move them back.  With SCIENCE!
A better idea would be to extract the relevant parts of the genome from plants and splice those into animal embryos. Then insert the chloroplasts into the same embryos. Once you've done all that, cross your fingers and hope it's viable.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »

There's a few kinds of worms that survive entirely off of photosynthesis from symbiotic bacteria.
If we're modifying our future test-tube babies, what else will we add?

I'm working on plans for a big space station that we could stick somewhere and use to train up a bunch of soldiers. Gravity ranging from 0.95 G to around 1.2 G in the main ring, and a gym that goes up to 2 G varying by floor. With that kind of environment, we'll have a good start with breeding stronger, tougher, and probably shorter people to fill our military.

*Implants the worms into TT baby's face*
*Puts baby in Space Station*
Voila, a Dwarf is born.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »

Dwarves don't photosynthesize. What you've got is the start of something BETTER than a dwarf. Well, unless the worms die and rot, giving the baby an infection.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »

Dwarves don't photosynthesize. What you've got is the start of something BETTER than a dwarf. Well, unless the worms die and rot, giving the baby an infection.

Only the strong survive, and by strong I mean the worms.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:18 pm »

I presume you mean the worm-hybrids.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2012, 01:00:48 am »

I presume you mean the worm-hybrids.
"And that's how we invented the beard."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2012, 04:03:07 am »

CURSE YOU NUCLEUS, YOU HAVE FOILED MY PLANS YET AGAIN!!!

Well then how about a parasite then? It could do the same thing, and we could make it removable. Hell, we could make an entire organic bodysuit that produces oxygen from the enviroment.
Wasnt bacterial photosynthesis my idea?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:25 am »

CURSE YOU NUCLEUS, YOU HAVE FOILED MY PLANS YET AGAIN!!!

Well then how about a parasite then? It could do the same thing, and we could make it removable. Hell, we could make an entire organic bodysuit that produces oxygen from the enviroment.
Wasnt bacterial photosynthesis my idea?

No, it was natures. HAH!

That being said, lets steal from nature some more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »

Well, let's see...Luna and Mars have pulled even in the poll...

Both have a common problem. Low gravity. Of course, the answer is either centrifuges or a space station. The latter has the benefit of possibly allowing access to asteroid mining; that's the assumption I'm going on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »

Holky crap awesome derail. Also, why not have a plan to put everyone else on Earth in the Matrix so we can expand in (relative) peace?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:14 pm »

Well, seeing as how most of the 1st world has either seen or heard of the Matrix, it's not likely that we could without having a major military advantage...and then there's the issue of a bunch of Neo-wannabes...

BTW, I've finished the plans for the partial asteroid base. Basically, it would be a wheel spinning around a dense core at an uncertain speed, maintaining a good amount of gravity (usually a bit above 1 G). Also, there's a higher-gravity gymnasium/barracks/training center thingy, and facilities for mining stuff (presumably mining drones of some sort--I haven't figured the specifics out). I'll add a bit of class and readability, as much as I can with all of the notes scattered about, and then figure out a way to post it. BTW, it's not intended to hold more than around a thousand people (military, miners, technicians, medics, officers, etc), and while it DOES have a few weapons, they're not much or detailed and are primarily intended for point defense, so another base (probably on Mars, given the poll's results, although Luna's not an impossibility) will be needed.

Here's an idea:
--Mars: Our main base. Will possibly export some food, although all bases should be able to sustain themselves for a while.
--Luna: A staging point for the Terran war. Probably a couple thousand people, mainly guards and war-machine operators; also some kind of big Gauss cannon, solar generators, etc. Most of our warships will probably be put into Lunar orbit. Also make sure to put some farms and solar generators up!
--Asteroid belt: At least one big base, the D.W.A.R.F. I've designed, would be nice--training soldiers far away from the Terran forces and mining at the same time! Some food processing/agriculture/etc has been included on my design, but some food will probably be needed to be imported. This will be compensated for by being able to mine. Also, the asteroidal base will probably need a fair bit more electricity than can be obtained by coating its surface with photovoltaic cells; I've accounted for that in part by suggesting such things as generators in the exercise equipment, but a fair amount of mining of uranium and the like would be needed. Perhaps some smaller base will be set up on Ceres or something, to store the ore and such; this would likely be a small settlement.
--Spaceships: Not too much more than you see in harder sci-fi. The big issues will be gravity and power; I suspect that centrifuges and nuclear power will be the solutions. There would be a fair number of warships, primarily focused on taking down Terran warships before they can damage us and perhaps some with orbital bombardment, in case the Gauss cannons don't work. Most ships, however, would probably be various sorts of freighters, moving gear, people, and minerals around the solar system.

Thoughts?
Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »

Well, let's see...Luna and Mars have pulled even in the poll...

Both have a common problem. Low gravity. Of course, the answer is either centrifuges or a space station. The latter has the benefit of possibly allowing access to asteroid mining; that's the assumption I'm going on.
Well, Exercise does help slow or stop the degredation of muscles. And presumbably We will be doing alot of work in keeping the bases functioning. Well if we can't get a definitive answer, I'm afraid we default to luna, simply because its less expensive. Although the lack of a magnetosphere bothers me, I suppose anything can be done with radiation shielding.

Holky crap awesome derail. Also, why not have a plan to put everyone else on Earth in the Matrix so we can expand in (relative) peace?
Tell your friends, We could always use more planners. Don't get ahead of yourself there, We're still in the invade earth stages of planning. But that is a fine enough strategy. I would prefer using a small number of Terrans as a semi-slave labor force (because hey, they aren't dwarves.)
And annihalting the rest.

Now for earth conquering. I'm worried about our anti-rebellion capabilities. Sure we could take down earth. destroy its governemt and cripple its resources, leaving it to collapse on its own, but we must also be capable of taking control. The resources there are incredible, so this cann not be discounted. A ruined planet with angry heavily armed guerillas would be nigh-impossible to deal with, especailly considering our meager man-power. Essentially, we can defeat therir armies, but not their militants, their partisans, their miltias. Hell, Even if we do around the clock surveilance of the runied cities in our flying robot police war-copters, we will still be vulnerable to attack by rpg wielding humans. (yes, I am practiacally asking for a pic of this.)

Perhaps we could ignore the rest of earths ruined population, and just establish military outposts, then slowly expand across the planet, defeating whatever feeble resistance is presented. The only real danger there is a rogue military strategic force could do serious damage, i.e. a couple of die-hard individuals capable of a suicide nuclear attack.

Seperate section for the ninja.
I love it. If I could write, I would immdiately start on a sci-fi based on this and everything else. Lunar gravity is substantially weaker, so it will be a fantastic place foraunches, especially early on. Going on my original idea, we could establish the b
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:09:49 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »

*cough*Conversion*cough*

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:55 pm »

Well its not like we'll be having the red faction running around (or would it be the blue faction?).

Oh well, just feed those who don't convert to our ways to the lions/space wasps. Maybe we can convert their souls into pure energy or something.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

I support the exploitation of soul energy. If for no other reason than the fact that it would be awesome just to say our advanced space technology runs on it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 192