Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 319298 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:49:57 pm »

The Bay 12 Space Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read this first! For those of you who are new to the Program, please be aware that this was once a thread on how many people play Dwarf Fortress, hence the first few posts being about that. The full Bay12 space program starts around page 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
Welcome to the Bay12 Space Program! Here, our "highly trained" group of scientists, engineers, strategists, biologists, psychologists*, and horologists, dream that we, Bay12, will rule the stars with a steel, *≪+fist+≫* (Menacing with spikes of pig bone). This dream may seem far off, but we have made surprising progress. We are populating Mars with test-tube babies, destroying earth with gauss guns and asteroid bolos, and ... err ... I should censor that.

Summary
This is the "open discussion" branch of the Bay12 Space Program. This is were you just talk about random things that have to do with colonizing space, to come up with new ideas, and to just discuss the program in general. The reason this thread exists, is to seed new ideas that can contribute the the program in the future. The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info, is were we set certain objectives, reaserch spesific things, and work toward the future!

Information:

The Bay12 Space program originated in a thread started by me with the title "How many people play DF?". In only 4 posts, it is first brought up by King DZA:
Enough people to form a respectably sized organized crime syndicate, or launch a colonization effort on a nearby life-supporting planet.

And another remark by Misko locks this thread's fate:

Enough people to form a respectably sized organized crime syndicate, or launch a colonization effort on a nearby life-supporting planet.

...Does Mars gave enough Volcanos for proper !!SCIENCE!!?.

Crew Roster:

King DZA - "President" (Powerless figurehead who wears a golden thong)
misko27 - Prime Minister (General administrator)
-
acetech09 - Logistics Administrator (Manages the "Logistics & info" thread, colony data, etc.)
WaffleEggNog - Open Discussion Threadmaster
darkrider2 - Administrator, M.A.G.M.A., Recruitment Committee member.(Mars Acclamation and Genetic Mutation Administration)
SlowPokez - Department Head, Arts & Recreation. Hemp Quality Tester. Master engraver.
Brainfreez Member, Recruitment Committee. Member, D.E.A.T.H.
Corai - P.E.A.C.E. - Protecting Earth alliances completely ethically.
Greatwyrm First Officer, Bio-GLADOS, Threadmaster of the modding thread.
Slayerhero - Carpenter :P
miauw62 - IT admin and builder of B.O.O.Z.E
-
Zanzetkuken The Great - Junior Official, ex-MADPLANS, Head of the police dept.

MADPLANS PERSONNEL LIST
Head of Operations (TopHat) LvL1
Head of The Unconventional Warfare Department(10ebbor10) LvL2
-Head of Zoological Warfare(GreatWyrmGold)
Head of The Airforce (helgoland)LvL2
-Head of Bomber Command (vacant) LvL3 -
-Head of Fighter Command (vacant) LvL3
Head of The Engineering Corps (vorthon)LvL2
Head of Defensive Operations (vacant)LvL2
Head of The (space) Navy (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Civilian Auxiliary Craft (cargo ships, etc) (vacant) LvL3
Head of Ground Forces (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Armoured Corps (vacant) LvL3
-Head of Infantry (vacant)LvL3
Some Random Tiebreaker(GreatWyrmGold)LvLn/a

Poll results;

"Presidential election"; King DZA wins, runner up Misko, and WaffleEggnog coming in last
"Are you willing to go to mars?"; Yes
"Size ray" - Lost heavily
"Uniforms"; - Arse naked wins, but is still being discussed
"Auto pilot" - Wins heavily
"Executions"; - List of choices wins!

Organizations:

M.A.G.M.A.
Mars Acclimation and Genetic Mutation Administration. Handles aspects of life on mars. Domestic and civil planning. Power sources, law enforcement, etc. Led by darkrider2.

Arts & Recreation.
Stuff related to ... arts ... and ... uhh ... recreation. Led by Slowpokez. We think it has something to do with cultural development. And drugs.

D.E.A.T.H.
Department of Earth Agriculture and Testing of Hemp. Headed by Brainfreez. I don't think the explanation of the acronym is necessary.

Bio-Glados
Bioweapons, Internal Organs, Growing Lethal and/or Desirable Organics Section. Led by Greatwyrm, F.O.R.G.O.T.T.E.N.B.E.A.S.T. Again, explanation assumed not necessary.

M.A.D.P.L.A.N.S.
The Space Program's Armed Forces. Space warfare, Ground Warfare, Occupation Efforts, Defense forces... etc. Anything accessed under the (m) screen.

Ways and Means Comittee
I really don't know what this does. Headed by 10ebbor10. I'll find out soon.

P.E.A.C.E.
Protecting Earth alliances completely ethically. Led by Corai. Name explains itself

E.T.H.I.C.A.L
Ethical Treatment of Humans In Cool and Atrocious Lemons :p

Further insanity;
If you like your dose of Bay12 insanity a bit more more tame, feel free to check out
The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info thread, generously made and managed by acetech09, found here;  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114561.0 If your a decent modder, you can also check out the modding branch of the Bay12 Space Program, made and managed my GreatWyrmGold here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114785.0
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:01:47 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

*resists urge to do something stupid.*

Damn it man, I nearly went on a philosophical rampage there. The Sheer Number of elements in your statement that could allow for epic derail nearly got me there.

I have no clue. 5000? how many Unique visitors come to this site montly? This doesn't include people on breaks, but yeah.

Whenever im trying to intorduce people to DF, there first question is always "How many people play it?". Im not really sure why it matters to them, i mean if its a good game, i dont care if 3 people play it, but, im never really able to respond to it.
Ask whether a larger number would be better. Then make it a billion. It challanges them, for if they cant beat the game with a BILLION PLAYS. their losers.

Did you mention Magma?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »

I play. So that's at least one.
No seriously, there is no way to determine this, number of downloads, forum users or vid views say nothing about how many people actually play.
Tell the people that it doesn't matter because:
1. there is no multiplayer
2. there is enough "how to" info to be found with a simple google search
3. the community is always helpful if you're looking for new ways to toast your children in magma.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

I play.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:48:19 pm »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:57 pm »

In which case the colonization effort would be done carefully planned and in a very scientific manner, with the result that the planet would be no longer life-supporting.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »

Enough people play this game as you can see in the COUNTLESS different ways people have found to kill things, be it crushing babies with bridges, or cheesemakers with ferocious cave-dwelling beasts.

Oh, and
Did you mention Magma?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »

These are the two most horrifying ways we could unleash bay12 onto the world. I imagine There arent eough females for colonization, if the Demographics thread is representative. Uness you wish to have cloning and homosexual relationships (which, I am NOT implying the bay12ers are into), There is no feasible way we could "embark" on a  planet, Presumbably. Unless you are willing to go sabine women route.

Does Mars gave enough Volcanos for proper !!SCIENCE!!?

Crime Syndicate?  dunno, we strike me more as a terrorist organization. Anarchists, probably, what with all the calls for nobility's death.

Vistuvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »

The real question should be: how many people here play dwarf fortress?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »

These are the two most horrifying ways we could unleash bay12 onto the world. I imagine There arent eough females for colonization, if the Demographics thread is representative. Uness you wish to have cloning and homosexual relationships (which, I am NOT implying the bay12ers are into), There is no feasible way we could "embark" on a  planet, Presumbably. Unless you are willing to go sabine women route.

Does Mars gave enough Volcanos for proper !!SCIENCE!!?

Crime Syndicate?  dunno, we strike me more as a terrorist organization. Anarchists, probably, what with all the calls for nobility's death.

A good amount of our members are actually gay/lesbian, which I'm sure would make the whole thing a lot more awkward. But hey, personal preference doesn't take very high priority when threatened with planetary extinction. Greater good and all that jazz.
I personally think the best course of action would be taking a large storage of eggs+sperm with us before embarking, and then just pumping out a bunch of test tube babies once we get there. We could even bring a little extra for ‼SCIENTIFIC‼ matters.

Terrorism could be fun, but smuggling illegal wares across various borders and driving out to secluded areas to hide trash bags filled with suspicious contents really seem like activities that would bring the community closer together.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »

Or we could just set the BABY_CHILD_CAP to be [BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]  ::)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

Dafuq happened to this thread XD

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »

The real question should be: how many people here play dwarf fortress?
The question of "should" is not one that is commonly asked in DF, and therfore I demand a dictionary definition.
A good amount of our members are actually gay/lesbian, which I'm sure would make the whole thing a lot more awkward.

I'm not arguing that, I'm Arguing about if we have a decent female-male ratio. Despite my completely liberal additudes, test-tube babies just sound weird. And where would we get those? Sure we could smuggle them, but we want our descendants to be as crazy as us (If craziness is genetic, Which I think it is.) We need grade-A Dorfs for this.

AND, If We settle on a nearby planet, we can still stream live DF updates from Earth! Hey, if Toady's entire fan-base goes to a far-off planet, does he come with?

And I don't know, If we give ourselves as terrorists a objective we could really bust some heads i.e. Violence Censors, People slowing Toady, TestTube-baby crimelords etc.

Dafuq happened to this thread XD
Thats Grade !!A!! Derailment right there. King DZA started it, And I provided fuel.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:00 pm »

What the hell are you people on and were can I get some

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:34:09 pm »

What the hell are you people on and were can I get some
That's Dwarf fortress my man. Right on the front page of the site, you can't miss it.

You know, sometimes I think the best ways to introduce people to DF is send them a thread. Seriously, any Thread, Pick one.

What would we as criminals smuggle? Shrooms of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 192