Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pokemon Fables: It lives!  (Read 2323 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Pokemon Fables: It lives!
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:57 am »

a mod by Monk12 and Old Greg - necro'd/continued by Toxicshadow, with permission from Monk12 and Old Greg

***Adventure Mode Download***
For DF v0.34.11(Current)

Daddy, daddy, tell us a story!
Alright, which one would you like to hear?
I want to hear Growlithe and the Necromancer's Tower!
That one's stupid! I want to hear the Voyages of Lapras!
But we wanted to hear about how Pikachu came to be Sheriff of Gemweavers!
Settle down, we have time for all those stories! Now, our story begins a long time ago, when the world was young, the gods were many and the lands were plagued by terrible creatures of the night...

What is Pokemon Fables?

The conceit is simple- what if Beowulf or Lord of the Rings were written in the world of Pokemon? Quite simply, you'd have Grendel being slain by a Pikachu with his Sword of Flames, or Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur joining forces to break the siege of Minas Tirith. The goal of this mod is simply to make such a world possible through the addition of new items, civs, interactions, and of course, Pokemon.

Now, Monk12 and Old Greg have spent a lot of time and tremendous amounts of effort in this mod, too much to let die. I've come to revive and continue this mod in the glory it became and is to be. I won't be half-assing it, nor will I try and cut corners, I'd like to keep this mod alive and well, and thorough. I plan on adding the rest of the first Gen pokemon, then second gen, then some 3rd gen. I, most likely, won't be getting into diamond(4th gen) and up.

Yeah, but what exactly have you actually done?

Fort Mode Features -I'll begin updating this when/if I get permission from Old Greg, if anyone would like to help me with Fort Mode, just post.

That's cool and all, but it doesn't seem like much.

It isn't- right now, we have merely a fraction of our final features implemented. This mod will be actively developed to include evolutions, items, crafting, enchantments, and of course loads and loads of new Pokemon to bring on your adventures.

Current Adventure Mode Development- the evolutions of the Kanto starters as well as the ability to evolve in-game.

Well, adventure mode is cool and all, but I'm really more of a Fortress Mode person. Just wait a little while...

There are obvious discrepancies between how things work in Adventure Mode, and how they work in Fortress Mode, in some cases irreconcilably so. To that end, this mod features two different downloads you can choose from- one optimized for Fortress Mode, and one for Adventure Mode. Fortress Mode RAWS will focus on dwarves building a society and capturing wild Pokemon to help them survive, while Adventure Mode RAWS will focus on adventuring as a Civilized Pokemon in a world of Night Creatures, hostile civs, and brutish, barbarian Wild Pokemon.

That's really interesting! I've got some ideas too...

We are more than happy to hear requests for specific items, functionality, and of course favorite Pokemon to be included.

I'm sold! How do I get started?

Download the Latest Adventure Mode Version, or Fortress Mode if you'd rather wait on the fortress mode, just wait, and you're ready to go! The following is a list of Pokemon and Techniques currently in the game, with detailed information and strategies to help you on your journey. Note that the starters are rather small by human standards, which makes them noticeably weaker in melee combat- Pokemon are adventurous spirits, however, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a party of companions with useful skills to help you even the odds!

Spoiler: Pokedex (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Techniques (click to show/hide)

Now go! Your very own Pokemon Legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokemon awaits! Onward to glory!
However don't expect an update for a little while because due to the, in my opinion, messyness of both fortmode and adv. mode files, I have to clean them up and merge them. They're messy to me just because the files were mean't for 2 people, 1 knows most of 1 thing, and the other knows most of the other thing. I don't know most of either, but I can assume/figure out what does what. And it's messy. lol
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:58:40 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Fables: It lives!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:55 am »

Gotta stab 'em all!

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:31 am »

Would you be intrested in some pokemon additions, or is this something you want to make all yourself? Cause I think I still got some pokemon raws somewhere, and I almost have a shelder/ slowpoke interaction working

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:37 am »

I'm sure Toxic would love some extra help, cause I know he's gonna be asking me questions about things... :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »

Yeah, I've got a few buried as well... though I think I put them in the old thread.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »

Nah I'm ok with any help given :P, it'd make the process of getting all 1st/2nd gen pokemon go much faster. And yes Hugo, I hope you're pretty good with interactions, I'll be skyping/mibbiting a lot of questions..... lol

Also, going with what was on the original thread, right now the default creatures are still in the game, but eventually I plan on making this a total conversion of the game. But right now there aren't enough pokemon implimented to remove the default creatures, so the choice is yours if you want to remove the default creatures or leave them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:56:34 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »

Wooh, time to blast some humans away with horrific fat-melting burns!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 12:08:23 am »

It's good to see this revived, i worked a lot on Old Greg's version and so it's good to see that all those Pokes i made didn't fade into oblivion.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.