Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun Mod - Graveforge  (Read 5050 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun Mod - Graveforge
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:46:52 am »

This is just a small thing, but I had fun making it and testing it out, so I thought I'd share it with anyone who might want to add a bit of oddness to their fort.  Recommendations and additions are always welcome.  Create white blocks of bone!  Purple blocks of guts!  Green blocks of turtle and mussel shells!  Crimson blocks of muscle!  Imagine them twitching and squirming when you build a wall in a reanimating biome!

"The dwarven Graveforge is the Hallmark of the forbidden fortress of Hellbound.  Founded on arctic terrain most foul and continually attacked by perpetually reanimating corpses, the dark dwarves decided to turn their problem into a solution.  Ignoring standard dwarven taboos they turned the dead -- both their enemies and their fallen comrades -- into a building resource.  By the time goblins decided to siege, they found themselves barred by walls of flesh and bone.  Now more than ever, every greenskin to fall from axe, trap, or arrow only made the dwarves of Hellbound even stronger!"

The Building
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Reactions

Add the following to the dwarves in entity_default

Edited on 120720: Added weapon-making reaction and gave block-making reactions the BUTCHER skill relevancy.
Edited on 120727: Removed bone-to-block reaction, as it was effectively a duplicate of the body-to-block reaction.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:08:25 am by Malecus »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Mod - Graveforge
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:08:02 am »

That is wicked, I am totally saving that.
Almost as cool as the hy-five-hydra.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:03 pm »

Thanks!  I'm still working on a little bit more for it; I'd like to find a way to create a random weapon from a corpse.  I have no pretence about any strong combat value attached to it, but turning a dwarf's skeleton into an axe or mace, then studding/spiking/ringing it with metals and putting it in a display case sounds so very dorfy to me (much better way of remembering them than a slab or continually disturbed coffin).

I'd also like to add a skill to the reactions so they take time, but I'm undecided on which skill to use.  Butchery and Cooking seem like fell but easily understandable skills, but Bone Setting might also work.  Or I could add a mechanism to the building requirements and use the Pressing skill.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »

Edit: Bah; double-post error.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:21:16 pm by Malecus »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12:15 pm »

Thanks!  I'm still working on a little bit more for it; I'd like to find a way to create a random weapon from a corpse.  I have no pretence about any strong combat value attached to it, but turning a dwarf's skeleton into an axe or mace, then studding/spiking/ringing it with metals and putting it in a display case sounds so very dorfy to me (much better way of remembering them than a slab or continually disturbed coffin).

I'd also like to add a skill to the reactions so they take time, but I'm undecided on which skill to use.  Butchery and Cooking seem like fell but easily understandable skills, but Bone Setting might also work.  Or I could add a mechanism to the building requirements and use the Pressing skill.

Butchery is my opinion. In other news, it's easy to make random weapons.
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE] /should/ give you a random weapon; my source is S.L.A.D.E. from several versions ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:00 pm »

It should work for random weapons

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »

Masterwork mod has plenty of reactions that have a chance of generating extras if you need more raws for reference.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »

Masterwork mod has plenty of reactions that have a chance of generating extras if you need more raws for reference.
As do a good deal of Major Mods  ;)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:27 pm »

As do a good deal of Major Mods  ;)
Masterwork has workshop reactions that cause DEATH...
Thought he'd be interested...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »

Death to the worker not the enemy

Also anyone that knows how to make a boiling stone with an inhaled syndrome can do that.

Less of course he wants bad things to happen to those that work the Grave Forge.

Reactions are pretty straight forward >.>

EDIT:
@OP
btw great concept :P I've been meaning to get around to a corpse burner.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:03:30 am »

Thank you!  I've never been too big on the standard crematorium's corpse-to-ash process, so I went my own route.

The weapon-making reaction works!  The weapons seem to generate only amongst the dwarven standard, so that's a nice perk (although a whip made from nerves would be wicked awesome...).  The resulting weapons also act as a reagent for repeated reactions (I'm using [REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]), and I'm not sure how I feel about that even though I'm adding it to the first post.  One the one hand, I guess it's like rearranging the bones around into different shapes, like some sort of grim Swiss army knife.  On the other hand, it feels like a bit of a cheat.  Oh, and all the weapons weigh less than an Urist each, so they're near-completely ornamental and likely an ironic life-saver when a skull-mace is given to the Hammerer (especially if it was made from a previous dwarf he beat to death).

And thanks for the tip towards Masterwork; I've opened it up and will be dissecting it tonight.  I'm so happy all the reactions are partitioned into use groups; good code notation wins the day again!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:27 pm »

From what I understand, using CORPSE as a reagent is bugged doesn't do anything; it's the same as NONE and the game's just looking at the ANY_BONE_MATERIAL tag.  So anything made of bone will be valid.

Try using USE_BODY_COMPONENT - not sure if it'll work but I think that it'll only take actual corpses and bodyparts.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »

Acually CORPSE and CORPSEPIECE I think work in reagents, just not Products

Altho I could be wrong, and Quietust will be here to say so lol

But USE_BODY_COMPONET *should* work. Not too sure. (at least for limbs and stuff I think)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:32 am »

Here's something to consider: Currently, stack sizes don't matter. If I were making a bone block reaction, I'd have instead made it take a custom ammo type, which dwarves are allowed to make, and turned IT into blocks.
Here's how it would work: A dwarf makes 5 "block bits" or whatever from a single bone in the Craftsdwarf workshop, then takes them to the Graveforge. The bone blocks reaction takes, say, 10 block bits (two bones' worth) and makes one bone block from it. Roundabout, but dragons make more blocks than cats and skulls won't get blockified.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »

acually any CORPSEPIECE item like bones/hoof/horn/skin don't respect stacks or ratios.
Pages: [1] 2