Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Craving old Kung Fu movie; need help with the title.  (Read 1657 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Craving old Kung Fu movie; need help with the title.
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:42 pm »

Been wanting to rewatch a very old (late 70s) Kung Fu movie, the kind dubbed over from Asia. Can't remember the name of it though.

The plot: A young, poor, cocky Kung Fu fighter wants to become the greatest Kung Fu fighter ever. He starts out with nothing, and obsesses on getting a brand new pair of shoes as a marker of his success. When he kicks the crap out of people, he pointedly pulls his foot up and dusts off his shoes. He gets famous as a Kung Fu fighter, gets successful and rich, but then a Kung Fu master comes to town who rips his life apart and shows him he doesn't know jack about Kung Fu.

The confusion: Perhaps I'm getting this movie mixed up with another, or there are just lots of recurring themes in old Kung Fu movies. In the movie I'm trying to remember, the cocky young fighter of course has a rival arch nemesis whose style is far evolved. When the kid tries to fight this guy, his nemesis gets blown back by the force of his punch and safely floats away. Additionally, he can only be killed when his vital nerve is struck with an acupuncture needle.

This movie is not Fist of The White Lotus (1980). I just watched that, and while it's got all the floating away and acupuncture stuff, it doesn't have the main character I was thinking of. I'm almost certain the movie I'm looking for included all these elements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GhettoAce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Craving old Kung Fu movie; need help with the title.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »

I was also looking for this movie for ages.

The movie you are looking for is called Clan of the White Lotus.

You were very close with the name which probably is what put you off the trail.

You can find the whole movie on youtube here   

/watch?v=IVJiN6u6o2U

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:44:19 pm by GhettoAce »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Craving old Kung Fu movie; need help with the title.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »

...Those are the same film (alternate titling).  ???

nenjin, I think this came up before back when I was doing the Livestreams. I'm pretty sure the first part (about the kid getting the new pair of shoes) is Disciples of Shaolin (Hong quan xiao zi) . I don't think that had any acupuncture-fu, but both that and Fists/Clan of the White Lotus (Hong Wending san po bai lian jiao) were Shaw Brothers films, so there's probably a certain amount of similarity to the look of the them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.