Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The first lawnmower was a cow.  (Read 21234 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: The first lawnmower was a cow.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 02:31:40 pm »

I looked up Astro Turf and I'm not sure it'd be an option for me. The very reason I don't want a lawn is maintenance; I'd probably have to vacuum that fake lawn thing, or something. Concrete only needs a broom!

Though in all likelihood I'll probably just get an apartment. Or if I'm rich, servants to do the yard work. Nothing in between.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »

I looked up Astro Turf and I'm not sure it'd be an option for me. The very reason I don't want a lawn is maintenance; I'd probably have to vacuum that fake lawn thing, or something. Concrete only needs a broom!

Though in all likelihood I'll probably just get an apartment. Or if I'm rich, servants to do the yard work. Nothing in between.

just paint the concrete green.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »

LAWNS KILL BEES

I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Now google it again.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »

I thought we had lawns because at one point, we became rich enough to not need to grow vegetables - and what better way to smear that fact on your neighbors' nose than growing a lawn instead ?

I dunno, looks like something humanity would do :p

And if I had a lawn, I'd let it go wild as much as I can. I want flowers and bugs and critters and stuff. I'm probably not made to live in an american suburb.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enGOMQgdvg

Relevant video is relevant if memory serves, there's a bit of other stuff in there, but it covers why we have lawns.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:57 am »

Heh, we still use cows to mow our lawns, saves me having to do it!

I feel like the lawn probably came out of old english nobility, where being able to keep your grounds in absolute tip top order was probably a sign of someone who was wealthy enough to afford many servants. That would be my best guess.

Ah ha! Only a servant would get down on hands and knees and chop at grass with a pair of shears. :P
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 02:00:20 am »

I have to say, a well-maintained lawn is very nice to have especially if there's kids about, not that it necessarily justifies the effort. Up here in Washington though it does help with rain runoff (near where I live are a number of acres of swampland left uncultivated for that purpose) and doesn't require a ton of watering, though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:37 am »

Re: why lawns: We have cut lawns nowadays to cut down on vermin issues (particularly re: snakes -- an overgrown yard in some places can be damn dangerous -- but there's some other critters it helps with, too.) and reduce fire hazards in crowded areas. S'not just aesthetics. Can depend on how high grass/undergrowth normally gets for your area, though.

I never thought of that either! This matches my experience of not seeing snakes since I lived somewhere where there were closeby grassy areas, wilderness. Never seen any since I moved to the middle of a dense suburb, not even an unkempt lot in sight, and if anything tried to get here from the nearest habitat, it would get run over or picked up by a hawk on the way.

I miss snakes. Rattlers are the only scary ones I've seen in the region, and only in one area I've been to have I seen them. They rattle and you go away. :P I'd just be worried about making sure I don't step on one before I notice it.

On a side note, has anybody ever seen that episode of survivor man where the guy eats a big fat snake? I think it was a rattler. I've been wanting to try snake for a while...

Randon thought: I bet cows and rattle snakes don't like each other much. :P Cows turn their hiding grounds into lawns.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 02:16:12 am »

LAWNS KILL BEES

I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Now google it again.

Haha nice, I was expecting google to catch that at some point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 02:19:05 am »

Iirc, snake tastes kinda' like kilbasa sausage (however the blazes you spell that), or at least the stuff I had did, however it was prepared. You can occasionally find people selling it down here in florida, at least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 03:00:11 am »

I have to say, a well-maintained lawn is very nice to have especially if there's kids about, not that it necessarily justifies the effort. Up here in Washington though it does help with rain runoff (near where I live are a number of acres of swampland left uncultivated for that purpose) and doesn't require a ton of watering, though.

Now that I'm accustomed to lawns, I'm not sure what a good alternative would be for having something soft to walk on. In my dream home I'd love to avoid lawns in favour of something else, but if I intend to have hippies over, there really needs to be some kind of grove for us all to sit on the grass or what have you... I can't escape it, and the only alternative I can think of is some kind of short growing clover or something, and even that gets big enough to have to mow.

I worry that letting a goat live in my circular hippy grove might mess with the atmosphere of the grove. If I let him be relatively free, he's gonna eat all my wonderful plants instead of just the grass. I don't wanna tie him down with a rope exactly the radius of the circle, that's mean. I don't want to imprison another animal unless they've got a fairly large and pleasant prison to roam in.

Perhaps the grove would be situated in a large section devoted to the goat, where I would try to plant enough fast-growing plants he likes to munch on that they have time to grow back somewhat and give him something else than grass to chew on. I'd even like to spoil him and grow him some kind of very durable flowers that'll survive a goat and grow again. But how much would he appreciate a whole bunch of hippies hanging out in his grove once in a while? Would he get pissed at having his space suddenly intruded by a bunch of uhhh inebriated hippies? That would totally defeat the purpose of the grove, if the goat didn't like sharing...

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:44 am »

Goats are the best lawnmowers ever, also multipurpose lawnmowers because they eat everything.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:01 am »

Goats will even eat kudzu.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 09:06:28 am »

Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:31 pm »

Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4