Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just built my pc and it does not turn on.  (Read 4728 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Just built my pc and it does not turn on.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:51 am »

The dimming room lights do not sound good, as it might be an indication of a short circuit. But let's move along anyway.

First of all, disconnect your sound & graphics cards, HD, and Blue-ray. Leave just the mobo connected to the psu via the 24pin<->8+18pin & 4pin<->8pin CPU connectors(the left sides indicate mobo connectors, the right - psu). RAM seems unlikely to be the cause of the problem, but you can disconnect it as well for a good measure.

See if this bare configuration gets powered up. It should try to boot normally, and if you've got the monitor and keyboard plugged in, you should be able to access bios(or get a message that e.g. RAM or keyboard is missing).
If it works, start adding one device at a time and see where it takes you.
If it doesn't work, a short circuit between the mobo/psu and the case might be causing the problem. Take the mobo and the psu out of the case, put them on some isolator(i.e. not on anything made of metal. A carpet or a bedsheet would do.). See if the boot sequence starts.
Should it still ignore your valiant efforts, say fuck it and go for a drink. Maybe somebody else comes up with an idea while you're at it.

Oh, and by the way, the rear psu I/O switch should be on I, while the hybrid/normal switch can be left on whichever mode - it just slows down the psu fan when "hybrid" is on, so as to make the psu quieter while the power consumption is low.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:29 am »

Well, I thought about this for a sec but I really need to see it to be of any use. Can you take a picture of the back panel and the whole interior of the case?
I will try to take a picture, no garuntees.

The dimming room lights do not sound good, as it might be an indication of a short circuit. But let's move along anyway.

First of all, disconnect your sound & graphics cards, HD, and Blue-ray. Leave just the mobo connected to the psu via the 24pin<->8+18pin & 4pin<->8pin CPU connectors(the left sides indicate mobo connectors, the right - psu). RAM seems unlikely to be the cause of the problem, but you can disconnect it as well for a good measure.

See if this bare configuration gets powered up. It should try to boot normally, and if you've got the monitor and keyboard plugged in, you should be able to access bios(or get a message that e.g. RAM or keyboard is missing).
If it doesn't work, a short circuit between the mobo/psu and the case might be causing the problem. Take the mobo and the psu out of the case, put them on some isolator(i.e. not on anything made of metal. A carpet or a bedsheet would do.). See if the boot sequence starts.
Should it still ignore your valiant efforts, say fuck it and go for a drink. Maybe somebody else comes up with an idea while you're at it.

Oh, and by the way, the rear psu I/O switch should be on I, while the hybrid/normal switch can be left on whichever mode - it just slows down the psu fan when "hybrid" is on, so as to make the psu quieter while the power consumption is low.

Ok so its safe to put the mobo on a bedsheet or a carpet? They wouldn't break or shock me?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

Well, I thought about this for a sec but I really need to see it to be of any use. Can you take a picture of the back panel and the whole interior of the case?

Ok so its safe to put the mobo on a bedsheet or a carpet? They wouldn't break or shock me?
I be more worry of shocking it, put it down on a table or a stone floor

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »

I be more worry of shocking it, put it down on a table or a stone floor

Ok

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »

The output voltage from a psu is very low, so don't worry about that. The only case when it could be dangerous would be when the psu is somehow horribly broken.

The pc components are fragile in the sense that dropping them from heights, spraying liquids on them, sitting on them, or putting them on top of a radiator, might break them. They're otherwise quite sturdy, so don't worry too much.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

There's always the problem that handling a carpet could cause a build up of static electricity on you, so there's a danger that you may shock and thereby damage the mother board. Stay away from rugs and bedsheets while handling computer components, and don't wear wool sweaters.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »

Lets go back a step. I took the gpu, hdd, disk drive, and sound card out. The pc worked but nothing displayed on the monitor. I'm going to plug in pieces one by one. (While its off.). So far it works with the hdd in. What it does is the fans have there lights on and they run for about 10 seconds and then stop then run for 10 seconds and stop over and over again. I didn't count how many times but it stopped. Maybe its is some kind of motherboard morse code.(I'm not kidding.) I'll keep plugging parts in.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:33 pm »

Nothing shows on the monitor? At all?
That would actually be an indication of the pc not working in the bare-bones configuration that you had there. The on/off behaviour is certainly not healthy either.

Do you have access to another pc from which you could borrow a psu or to which you could plug in your new psu?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »

No I can't hook up to another pc with psu. I'm still gonna try plugging in stuff. I have a question. Do I plug the disk drive in with a blue cable labeled serial ATA? Also am I supposed to plug it into a sata port on the mobo?

Nothing shows on the monitor? At all?
That would actually be an indication of the pc not working in the bare-bones configuration that you had there. The on/off behaviour is certainly not healthy either.

Do you have access to another pc from which you could borrow a psu or to which you could plug in your new psu?

So are any of my parts broken!!!?!?! If its the psu thats ok'ish. But I would rather have the psu be broken instead of any other part.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »

Plugged in the disk drive and connected it with a blue serial atx cable. Now it says to put in a boot cd, windows 7, and the press a key. The fans run continueslly. Now the sound card and gpu are left.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »

Plugged in the gpu, its still working. Only the sound card is left.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »

Everything is in and the pc is working. I must have plugged something in wrong the last time. Ill keep this thread up in case I have any problems with installing windows and such.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »

Thanks you guys.  :D
Pages: 1 [2]