Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just built my pc and it does not turn on.  (Read 4706 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just built my pc and it does not turn on.
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:16:29 pm »

So I built my $2100+ pc and it does not work. It took me around 8 hours. These are my specs:

Gigabyte Z77
Asus Xonar 5.1
Seasonic Platinum 860 watt power supply
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 4 x 4Gb
Intel I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz with turbo boost)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb vram
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hdd
Lite-on Bd Drive
Antec 1200

The 12 volt atx cable for the cpu is plugged in. The 24 pin cable for the motherboard is in. When I try to turn it on nothing happens. No lights, sound, display or anything. I have one question the part of the main power cord that I plug into the motherboard is a 24 pin connector, but the side that I plug into the power source has a 10 pin output and a 24 pin output. But there is only a spot for the 10 pin connector. Do I need the 24 pin to power the mobo. Can someone help me?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Just built my pc and it does not turn on.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

10 pin output sounds strange to me and sounds useless. Check to see if you have all of the front I/O connections plugged in.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »

Did you plug it in?  :P

If it's not turning on, it's not getting current. (Or too little, or in rare cases, way too much.) Do you have the right power supply? Is it hooked up to everything it needs to be hooked up to?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »

Keep the case open and plug in the power cord.  Does a green led light show up on the MOBO?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:41 pm »

Did you buy your parts from Crazy Edgar's Midnight Van Mart?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:37:32 pm »

Did you buy your parts from Crazy Edgar's Midnight Van Mart?
Nope. Newegg. But there is no spot on the power source to plug in the 24 pin connector. Is there anything I can buy that attaches to a 24 pin connector and splits it into 2 12 pin connectors?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

Keep the case open and plug in the power cord.  Does a green led light show up on the MOBO?
I don't think my mobo has any lights anyways.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »

Triple check the front panel switch connection to the motherboard. I have built two computers from scratch in the past few years, and on both of them, the case wires had a different color code than the mother board. Make sure you read the motherboard manual for correct switch connection - and don't go by online or other computers.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »

You have this PSU, right? http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm

There should be no 24 pin connections on it. The 24 pin MOBO main power cable should end on the side of the PSU in two connectors fitting into appropriate, 10 & 18 pin slots, boh marked as M/B:

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:12:52 pm »

You have this PSU, right? http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm

There should be no 24 pin connections on it. The 24 pin MOBO main power cable should end on the side of the PSU in two connectors fitting into appropriate, 10 & 18 pin slots, boh marked as M/B:

Ok that plugin was covered by a sticker and I did not notice. I plugged in the main power source for the mobo and when I pressed the power button the lights in my dimmed a little then went back to normal. So it must be drawing power and starting then turning off. What to do now?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:30 pm »

the lights in my dimmed a little
The lights in your what?

So, is the power supply actually working? If you plug it in and turn it on you should usually be able to see the fan spinning or some other indication. The motherboard should also have a power and reset button built into the board. Have you tried those and not just the front panel buttons?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

Time for the herp derp question:

Is the master power switch on the back of the PSU in the "ON" position? :P

Because if you said "the lights in my ROOM dimmed", that tells me the PSU is drawing power and you likely haven't flipped that switch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

the lights in my dimmed a little
The lights in your what?

So, is the power supply actually working? If you plug it in and turn it on you should usually be able to see the fan spinning or some other indication. The motherboard should also have a power and reset button built into the board. Have you tried those and not just the front panel buttons?

The lights in my bedroom dimmed a little. Well I spent about $200 on the power source and the fan did not ever turn on. There is an option for hybrid or normal fan on the power source. So I'll try running it on hybrid. I just thought that the fan only ran if the pc was on. If there is a power or reset button on the mobo I cannot find it. It wasn't noted in the manual. This is the mobo: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#ov

Time for the herp derp question:

Is the master power switch on the back of the PSU in the "ON" position? :P

Because if you said "the lights in my ROOM dimmed", that tells me the PSU is drawing power and you likely haven't flipped that switch.
Well I'm not sure if I or O means on (I think I does). But I tried it both ways and it doesn't work. The lights dimmed when I pressed the on button on the front panel.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »

I tried turning the pc on again and I noticed that something was on. The blue LED lights for the fans were on but nothing else.

Tuplis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:26:27 am »

Well, I thought about this for a sec but I really need to see it to be of any use. Can you take a picture of the back panel and the whole interior of the case?
Pages: [1] 2