Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Thirst Kill a Person Submerged in Water?

Yes
- 37 (61.7%)
No
- 6 (10%)
No, but a person's skin will absorb too much water and eventually turn into mush, thus exposing his organs and causing him to bleed to death due to lack of coverage
- 17 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Can a Person Submerged in Water Die of Thirst?  (Read 11581 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Person Submerged in Water Die of Thirst?
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »

There ARE ways to "filter" out solutes from a dillution, by using selective membranes. It's called reverse osmosis.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »

I'd (and my old, now long-gone, Chemistry teacher) argue with that being "filtering".  I know (and he knew) of osmosis and the reversal thereof, but it's not what I(/he) would call 'filtering'.  Do you 'filter' oxygen out of water using a suitably-permeable membrane?  More like 'straining through', what you want, rather than 'filtering out' what you don't, if you see the difference I'm getting at.

However, terminology, etc, may well have changed in the intervening decades.  Consider this my daft excuse for probably being oh so very wrong, if you wish.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »

We have the technology to get salt out of water right now but the issue is that it is too expencive and requires too much work to do it effectively.

There was one peice of technology I saw once that got water from salt water... but it never produced it in large amounts... But it was used as a rice cooker since it would allow you to eat steamed rice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]