Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 674356 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2655 on: September 20, 2016, 08:51:25 am »

Weren't Dwarves a force of good in Norse mythology? I know they are kind of neutral all things considered but still...

Though I think the Elves were "not good"? Dang Nefleheim I never understand you.

Dwarfs in Norse mythology were a race of cunning, treacherous assholes who were nevertheless very honorable and cared about deals and bargains. In several myths they coveted wealth to a great deal, the tale of Fafnir and Sigurd being a good example, but there's also a myth whose name I have forgotten in which two dwarf brothers murdered a giant couple to steal their gold then got drowned by their son in revenge.

Despite this they would not cut off Loki's head after winning a bet in which he gambled his head because he pointed out that their bet made no mention of his neck, so they settled for stitching his lips shut and tying him to a tree. They also made a number of magical items for the gods, such as Mjolnir, Gullimbursti and the fetter of Fenrir that bound him outside the walls of Asgard.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 20, 2016, 10:07:28 am »

bay 12 = educational

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:30 pm »

I'm fairly certain age of majority is applied continuously by different legal bodies. If you go somewhere where you're legally an adult, you're legally an adult. If you leave to go somewhere where you aren't, you become a minor again. Not that I actually know anything about law, but I've never seen a country take the age of foreigners into different consideration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: September 20, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »

That... probably depends on who's caring about it, I think? And sometimes the laws involved, too -- there's places in the US that will recognize ages of the majority below their own on certain subjects and to certain extents, if whatever it's relevant to happened outside their jurisdiction and somewhere where the age was lower, ferex. More or less like MSH is saying, though -- the rub would be if the parents or the citizenship country are trying for some kind of legal challenge and actually have some way to make the host country listen to them. International jurisdiction stuff basically defaults to bloody complicated and gets worse from there. Best bet to find out would probably be to contact (email, whatever) an organization that deals with international stuff involving minors (US, ferex, would be something like these guys). Bit of googling couldn't find any relevant information, unfortunately.

And it would depend, MSH. Theoretically for US citizens the US age of majority applicable to them applies everywhere so far as being charged in a US court goes, because our laws follow all of us everywhere and if we do something illegal by US laws but not the local ones, we can still be charged when we get home (possibly via extradition due to the legal issue in question) and tried in a US court. It pretty close to never sodding happens vis a vis majority laws, so far as I'm aware, especially for cases that don't involve stuff like sex tourism (particularly because a lot of the stuff relevant doesn't actually penalize the minor, but instead whoever did whatever -- sold beer, screwed, juggled flaming minigun chainsaws, who the hell knows -- with them), but it's a possibility. I'm not entirely sure how many countries have similar legal mechanics going on, but last I remember paying anything attention I seem to recall the answer being "most of them".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:23 pm »

Could the popularity of antediluvian apocalypse myths be driven by a desire for immortality?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 22, 2016, 05:40:10 am »

Could the popularity of antediluvian apocalypse myths be driven by a desire for immortality?
Yes, it could. Does it? Fucked if I know.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 22, 2016, 06:42:39 am »

Guess it's possible, but I kinda' doubt it. Not terribly many folks tend to end up immortal in those things. Usually rather the opposite.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:37 am »

In the original mythology elves would steal human children and replace them with their own. This was apparently used as an explanation for physical or mental abnormality.

The onset of autism could plausibly have been explained as a changeling. Some autistic parents note that it's like there's a different child afterwards - mental development was ticking along then gets derailed.

Another possibility is explaining away Down Syndrome. In german, words for changeling included Kielkropf or Dickkopf, meaning something like big neck / big head respectively.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:21:11 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: September 22, 2016, 07:54:49 am »

Sorry for possible Off-Topic, i just can't find "Questions about Forums" thread, but how do i reduce image size on Bay12 Forums? I mean, i use Microsoft Paint for taking DF screenshots (can't find alternative for MS Paint), which means i need to use "Print Screen" button to make screenshots. Main problem, obviously, is that they have same size as my monitor (1920x1080), thus making me using spoiler tags for pictures.  It will also be nice if you suggest me some good, free alternative for MS Paint, so i can take screenshots. Thank you in advance.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: September 22, 2016, 07:56:29 am »

Code: [Select]
[img width=xx]URL[/img], where xx is the width in pixel you want your image resized to. The aspect ratio is maintained by default.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 22, 2016, 08:21:45 am »

Code: [Select]
[img width=xx]URL[/img], where xx is the width in pixel you want your image resized to. The aspect ratio is maintained by default.
Width or 'height' actually. The image resizes and scales either way if you use height/width. :) If you'd want to set the image to a desired ratio at your own will, you can do 'img height=x width=y'. All are in pixels, of course.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: September 22, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »

Sorry for possible Off-Topic, i just can't find "Questions about Forums" thread, but how do i reduce image size on Bay12 Forums? I mean, i use Microsoft Paint for taking DF screenshots (can't find alternative for MS Paint), which means i need to use "Print Screen" button to make screenshots. Main problem, obviously, is that they have same size as my monitor (1920x1080), thus making me using spoiler tags for pictures.  It will also be nice if you suggest me some good, free alternative for MS Paint, so i can take screenshots. Thank you in advance.
GIMP is good and free.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: September 23, 2016, 12:57:02 am »

There has to be a term for this.

But what corruption that is created in order to fix a problem or a gap in the law?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: September 23, 2016, 01:11:50 am »

GIMP is good and free.
If you're looking for a middle ground between the full suite of GIMP and basic MSPaint for just quick edits then paint.NET works as basically a paint+ program (GIMP is generally what I'd suggest getting used to for most things though).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: September 23, 2016, 02:27:06 am »

There has to be a term for this.

But what corruption that is created in order to fix a problem or a gap in the law?

I don't know of a specific terms that cover all such forms of corruption. "Corruption greasing the wheels of prosperity" is one expression I've seen used (for when corruption allows more efficient growth by bypassing inefficient bureaucracies).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 636