Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676826 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2760 on: October 17, 2016, 04:46:11 am »

So... no?

It was yes... I was giving a history.

Stool = Chair... Then Stool = Chair with no back or armrests... Toilets are a type of stool... Thus Stool became poop.

The reason for this was because we adopted the word "Chair".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: October 17, 2016, 11:19:52 am »

Thanks, now I get it! 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: October 18, 2016, 03:50:00 am »

Any ideas on why on lemurias ritual to counter larvas  involves putting bunch of black beans in mouth, then spitting in the hand and throwing them outside of house. After that come words about this being price for the safety, but..
why would you pay evil spirits with black beans?  ???

Are draugrs and other undead things so uncommon in scandinavian myths/sagas/stuff? You dont get seem to have them mentioned anywhere except one saga with episode like that :
 draugr : Hey, its my tomb and my treasures, get out!
 heroic dude : I WILL RIP YOU APART
 draugr : *Becomes bigger * You sure m8?
 heroic dude : I WILL RIP YOU APART
 draugr : *Becomes even bigger * Rly?
 heroic dude : I WILL RIIIP YOU APAAAART!*RIPS UNDEAD DUDE APART* I RIPPED YOU APART.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: October 18, 2016, 03:59:35 am »

Any ideas on why on lemurias ritual to counter larvas  involves putting bunch of black beans in mouth, then spitting in the hand and throwing them outside of house. After that come words about this being price for the safety, but..
why would you pay evil spirits with black beans?  ???
I've got an interpretation:
You're symbolically giving away part of yourself to preserve the whole of yourself. When you hold the beans in your mouth, they're mock- eaten, and so become part of you, which you then give away to the spirits, which presumably want to eat you. So you're like, don't eat me, eat those beans which are also kinda part of me instead.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2764 on: October 18, 2016, 04:35:04 am »

Beans were something the lemures would use to curse your house with bad luck. They were also kind of schizophrenically dual-symbolic of death and fertility, so since the lemures were spirits of the dead, beans would presumably have some power for them. Notably, they were considered to contain the spirits of the dead (famously by Pythagoras, but it was apparently a decently widespread belief).

Alternatively, the payment was to Cardea, goddess of the hinge, to keep them out of your home. She was also associated with beans, possibly because her feast day was during the harvest, but it could have been the other way around.

They're something of an oddity in mythology, with a surprising amount of significance associated with them, but it's so mixed up that it's difficult to say exactly why it would be done in a culture as mixed as the Roman one.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:41 am »

Why is the Necronomicon named the Necronomicon? AKA "The Book of the dead"

I mean... It isn't really linked to the dead and the original book Az Asif is more famos as a tomb of arcane lore (it also doesn't translate into "The book of the dead"

There are only two explanations I have for this
1) It is named after its ONE spell that lets you raise the dead back to life.
2) It was named that way because of marketing, the author thought it would be more popular that way.

By the By fiction writers: There are SEVERAL Necronomicons. The only one there is "one of" is the Az Asif. Miskotonic University isn't the only ones who gots a copy of the later editions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:22 am »

In lovecrafts stories It's extremely vague what's actually in the book. So who knows, it could be perfectly reasonable considering the bulk of the work. Or it could just be a snappy name.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:14 am »

Maybe it is called "The Book of the Dead", because it was written by people who are now long dead?
Perhaps it's just simply a collection of ancient poetry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 18, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »

Ok so I know that Gaea's story does feature her pretty much being the primary antagonist of her one big feature story...

But to the Ancient Greeks was she evil?

I always thought that in spite of it she was STILL considered a force of good (albeit temperamental)... In fact outside that one story she kind of never did a single bad thing ever again and actively worked with the other Olympians.

And depictions of her tend to be flattering rather then monstrous

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:22 am »

So is there some trick for running old Windows 95 games from discs on a newer system?
Pretty sure I've seen people discuss such things before, though I could be mistaken since I've never had much reason to try.
Just found my old CD copy of Theme Hospital in a box. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:05 am »

Ok so I know that Gaea's story does feature her pretty much being the primary antagonist of her one big feature story...

But to the Ancient Greeks was she evil?

I always thought that in spite of it she was STILL considered a force of good (albeit temperamental)... In fact outside that one story she kind of never did a single bad thing ever again and actively worked with the other Olympians.

And depictions of her tend to be flattering rather then monstrous

I doubt, that we can apply good/evil to greek gods really except may be Ares/Erida.

Also, technically, we can attribute to Gaia the end of hero age and start of our shitty iron age( by that Hesiodes concept of : golden age > other ages not as cool but still better then ours> our iron age, where children are assholes not respecting parents, gods and traditions, and life sucks), as she asked Zeus to get all the heroes killed somehow, because it is heavy for her to have so many heroes walk on land  somewhen before the whole trojan war thing started.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 20, 2016, 04:48:53 am »

Ok here is an impossible question for you guys

Why is romance always soooo terrible?

Why is it the worst part of anything it is in with few exceptions?

why is the Romance Genre also equally so terrible most of the time?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 20, 2016, 04:56:04 am »

Because it's the most done thing ever and you almost always expect it. The only time it works is when you don't (which is outside the romance genre) or when it does something surprising (which is also outside the romance genre, which wouldn't be called a genre if it frequently changed the rules on you).
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 20, 2016, 06:40:00 am »

Funnily enough, I just, as in minutes ago, watched a "romance" film that surprised the shit out of me with how good it was.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the film fit within the bounds of the genre. But... somehow, it was good. I think I might usually just hate it out of jealousy. >.>   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:20 am »

Funnily enough, I just, as in minutes ago, watched a "romance" film that surprised the shit out of me with how good it was.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the film fit within the bounds of the genre. But... somehow, it was good. I think I might usually just hate it out of jealousy. >.>   
Last good Romance move I saw was Deadpool.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 636