Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667031 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3855 on: June 19, 2017, 11:13:31 am »

Were Cleric domains released with the D20 3.5 SRD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »

Is Neonivek a sentient spambot that bucked his programming to ask oddly phrased non-questions?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:29 pm »

Were Cleric domains released with the D20 3.5 SRD?

The 2nd edition cleric could optionally choose to be a priest of a specific mythoi and pick a specific religion or mythos. Within the mythos/religion chosen by the character are abilities and powers, represented by the Spheres of Influence (Combat, Creation, Healing, Necromancy, Protection, Sun, Weather, etc.) defined by the worshiped deity's dogma (e.g., Tyranny, Death, Life, Healing, etc.), power (demi, lesser, intermediate or greater power), and alignment (Lawful Good, Chaotic Evil, etc.).

Further variant clerics were developed in Spells and Magic and Faith and Avatars, including the Crusader, Monk, Mystic, and Shaman.
Spells

The cleric's dogma determines what type of spell the cleric has access to, with greater access (all spells within a sphere, providing the cleric is of sufficient power [level] to cast it) for those spells closely aligned with the deity's dogma and minor access (spells of equal to or less than 3rd level) of those partially within the deity's dogma, while no access to those spells outside the deity's dogma.

The deity's power defines the upper limit of the spells able to be granted to a cleric: a demi-god can grant up to 4th level spells and a greater deity up to 7th level spells.

For example, a greater deity of Healing could grant spells of all levels in the Healing sphere, minor access to Divination spells and no access to combat spells such as Flamestrike since they are antithetical to its healing dogma.
So it seems domains kind of were introduced in 2e, though they weren't called that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: June 19, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »

I think domains existed back in ADND but had no mechanical benefit. Which is why there were tons of domains.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:19 pm »

This is a legal question. If another employee is consistently late everyday for years and I documented it and issued complaints, but nothing was done and then start showing up late myself would I be able to sue for wrongful termination if they fire me for it?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »

This is the only legal answer you should listen to, because it's the only one with a minimal chance of biting you in the ass: Ask an actual lawyer familiar with your state's laws. If my memory's failing again, and you're outside the U.S., replace state with whatever applicable lowest scale of jurisdiction you're under. Whatever statement other than that, general or specific, any of us can give, can become completely off base depending on the state of your local legislature. To a one, they will all be fundamentally bad advice unless for some bloody weird reason someone that's licenced for practice in your area shows up -- and then it may be even more likely to be terrible, because a lawyer giving legal advice online on a random forum and in response to that much information is what can be colloquially called "fuckstupid".

More asspully, I'd be willing to wager a very small amount of non-money it would largely hinge on your area's stance regarding at-will employment. If your lot's on board with it, and they probably are state side, you very likely won't have grounds for shit because they can fire you for any reason, including none, and the only legal recourse you would have is if they're doing it for reasons discriminatory towards a protected class. And the leniency patterns towards a single person not you is almost certainly not going to be enough to prove that was the motivation for your firing, especially if it's prefixed by you starting to do stuff people are normally fired over.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:03 pm »

Sounds about right. It's a Right to Work state, whatever that means. I didn't intend to turn the hypothetical into a reality because I like my job, but it was an interesting thought experiment.
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: June 20, 2017, 01:01:52 pm »

Yeah, right to work's basically it. The grounds to achieve wrongful termination in those places are pretty specific.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:20 am »

Is there a term for people who seek out people who are "acceptable targets" to harass them?

Or at least the phenomenon where "acceptable targets" (Women, Minorities, Homosexuals) receive much more criticism and backlash for their indiscretion than a male would?

---

I am reminded of a study done in prisons. The initial thoughts was that even Prisoners hated child murderers (and other such crimes) so much that they would target them out of spite.

Yet what they found was it was more that the prisoners engaged in this activity were seeking someone to harass and sought after people they feel justified in attacking.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:28:19 am by Neonivek »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: June 28, 2017, 08:42:17 am »

Is there a term for people who seek out people who are "acceptable targets" to harass them?

Or at least the phenomenon where "acceptable targets" (Women, Minorities, Homosexuals) receive much more criticism and backlash for their indiscretion than a male would?

Discriminators and discrimination, respectively? Unless I misunderstood.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: June 30, 2017, 11:17:11 am »

...Haters? That's the connotation of the word, because it implies someone who go out of their way to hate and therefore harass things and/or people who like them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:20:32 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: June 30, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »

This isn't exactly a small question, but is there anything side from sunlight tightly limiting the amount of organic matter on Earth?  Like if we sent shipments of wheat to other planets or whatever, would the planet run out of wheat eventually or could we keep making more of it sustainably?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: June 30, 2017, 07:07:59 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. A barren planet would probably need a strong ecosystem of microbes and the like to process rock into soil, is that it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: June 30, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »

Earth would be losing carbon at least.  Also hydrogen, but hydrogen's plentiful with interstellar shipping.  Oxygen is also a main component in carbohydrates.

Possibly nitrogen, IDK, even if it's not a catalyst it's particularly plentiful in our atmosphere. 

Practically it probably wouldn't be an issue unless we were shipping enough to supply entire barren worlds for some reason, and weren't recycling, for at least decades.  Then again, that assumes we start properly managing our own biosphere.  I just mean from an atomic perspective.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: July 01, 2017, 08:00:07 am »

Think the planet running out in that question was earth, not whatever the recipient was. As to the answer... sure? There's nothing that would specifically stop wheat itself, probably, but if you were just shipping the stuff out without counteracting the effects of sending off nutrients and whatnot you'd eventually run out of usable soil. Water would also probably be a hell of an issue after a while. It would almost certainly take a rather long time, everything else being equal, but it would be quicker than the results without active human intervention.

Sunlight is involved a lot in what makes a biosphere (effectively) sustainable (usually, anyway; there's some deep ocean stuff where it's basically not at all, ferex), but so are soil and mineral conditions and such. Area can pretty easily be getting plenty of sunlight, but get hit with a particularly nasty invasive species that more or less sucks most or all of the available resources out of the area they're in and end up what amounts to deadlands after a few decades. Sunlight's just a resource, a means of getting energy into the system, and needs all sorts of other stuff (though mostly in fairly small amounts) for said system to do much with it. Density of the biosphere in a region is as effected by said other stuff as light.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 635