Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 675583 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4185 on: February 19, 2018, 03:51:22 pm »

Fractious.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: February 20, 2018, 01:28:48 am »

I was thinking something like "They're an X people"

X being whatever would describe them as fracturing frequently.

"Easily fracturing", "commonly fract.", "frequently fract."
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24:53 am »

Fragile. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: February 20, 2018, 04:56:01 am »

Do cockroaches carry STDs?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:49 am »

I think - I HOPE you missed the Terrible Jokes thread :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: February 20, 2018, 12:05:55 pm »

*Studiously does not click link*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:07 pm »

I can't read
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:14:53 am by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: March 05, 2018, 08:06:54 pm »

Is someone able to describe how pushing something "down" for a moment while it's in geostationary orbit won't cause it to slowly plummet towards the planet until it impacts?

I know the way it works (ie that you'd either need to push it down far enough that it'd intersect atmosphere or the object it's orbiting and that burning retrograde is far more efficient), but there's someone I'm having trouble actually explaining the mechanics of it to.
Try doing it in KSP. That's a very visual way to do it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: March 05, 2018, 11:11:07 pm »

Pushing a satellite down is a lot like pushing a pendulum.  It does move closer to Earth, but then it returns to the same position it started from.  Repeatedly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: March 06, 2018, 12:37:49 am »

Also, pushing it "down" increases the vehicle's velocity, which makes it more likely to "Miss" the planet as it swings around. It is actually a pretty good way to gain a HIGHER orbit, as the apogee on the other side of the ellipse will be higher. :P Essentially, thrusting DOWN increases the eccentricity and narrowness of the orbit.  Combined with a controlled burn to widen and then correct the orbit, it can be used to reach a higher orbit. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: March 06, 2018, 03:21:56 am »

Shortest possible answer: "It's already falling"
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: March 07, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »

Quick question for anyone who might know. I have been trying to wrap my head around a concept I recently encountered. Its to do with getting at the core beliefs behind conservatism vs liberalism in the US. So here it is, the concept is that one of the core bits of American conservatism is a specific type of interpretation of the social contract. That is that people and governments have certain rights and responsibilities. This seems to tie in with conservative ideals of self sufficiency and interpretations of welfare as well as what a citizen is. what is confusing me is what the contrast is with the liberal interpretation of the social contract and what exactly the tenets of each if written out would be. I'm really having a problem drawing it up in my mind, perhaps due to a general lack of thinking about the concept in this way before as these kinds of things a usually not articulated in this way.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: March 07, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »

Quick question for anyone who might know. I have been trying to wrap my head around a concept I recently encountered. Its to do with getting at the core beliefs behind conservatism vs liberalism in the US. So here it is, the concept is that one of the core bits of American conservatism is a specific type of interpretation of the social contract. That is that people and governments have certain rights and responsibilities. This seems to tie in with conservative ideals of self sufficiency and interpretations of welfare as well as what a citizen is. what is confusing me is what the contrast is with the liberal interpretation of the social contract and what exactly the tenets of each if written out would be. I'm really having a problem drawing it up in my mind, perhaps due to a general lack of thinking about the concept in this way before as these kinds of things a usually not articulated in this way.
basically conservatives and liberals have different ideas on what the government should do and what people's rights should and shouldn't be.

conservatives want the government to stay out of people's lives and for there to be no limitations on their rights (think gun control)
liberals on the other hand want the government to be involved with people's lives (more government funded services) and think that there should be some limitations on what you can and can't do with your rights (again gun control)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: March 07, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »

Not terribly accurate portrayal of american conservatives, unfortunately. Conservatives of the GOP direction are perfectly happy interfering with people's lives (see most anything lgbt related, as an example) and shitting all over their rights (see massive swaths of law enforcement and national security related issues).

Re: the question itself, I honestly can't list something out off the top of my head, largely because the conservative stance on the concept of social contract is inconsistent as everloving fuck and hypocritical bloody often to boot. Liberal side of things is much better on that front, but still has its jittery bits.

I'd probably be leery about trying to actually hammer down some kind of list of either side, basically, especially if it's based on more on professed beliefs than actions.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 636