Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687180 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4455 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:20 pm »

Hell, IIRC we're facing potential health issues with rising CO2 levels simply from pollution.
We're also facing potential health issues with rising pollution levels simply from pollution. Funny how nature do that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: August 12, 2018, 05:13:12 am »

A little while ago my housemates' cat vomited in the kitchen. She seemed okay, but they're out at the moment so I figured it best to make them aware of the situation. They asked me if I could keep a bit of an eye on her, which is easy enough.

So, I've just been out to check on the cat and, whilst she seems quite alright, the original puddle of puke is conspicuously absent.
Should I let my housemates know what an unrepentantly gross little monster their furbaby is, or just leave them to assume I cleaned it up?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: August 12, 2018, 05:23:41 am »

Cats'll do that. No need to mention it; they'll know cats are gross already.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4458 on: August 12, 2018, 05:34:19 am »

Maybe not necessary to like, text them about it, but I would probably in conversation bring up that their cat is a barf eating monster

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: August 12, 2018, 05:35:44 am »

Just tell them that the food was good enough to eat twice.

It's a compliment.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: August 18, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

Does anyone else go into "foreign" restaurants and feel bad because you don't speak their language, you're not sure you're even pronouncing "thank you" correctly despite listening to it off of Google Translate dozens of times, and you don't know what their cultural food etiquette is like or how much it's even noticed?

Because I do, and it sucks. I just want some goddamn beef noodle soup and for everyone to love me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: August 18, 2018, 06:03:02 pm »

You can probably get away with "thank you" in any language that you actually speak. Generally people get the idea.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: August 18, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »

Does anyone else go into "foreign" restaurants and feel bad because you don't speak their language, you're not sure you're even pronouncing "thank you" correctly despite listening to it off of Google Translate dozens of times, and you don't know what their cultural food etiquette is like or how much it's even noticed?

Because I do, and it sucks. I just want some goddamn beef noodle soup and for everyone to love me.
Pho? :D

Edit: got the accent wrong. :( Leaving it without because keyboard is inadequate.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: August 18, 2018, 06:25:15 pm »

Edit: got the accent wrong. :( Leaving it without because keyboard is inadequate.
Bingo. Tiny little family-owned wall-hole across the bridge from here, one of precisely two Vietnamese spots I've ever seen in Norway. Don't eat there nearly often enough, because that would generally involve walking and eating there, as opposed to just huddling like hermits in solitude... Also there's been construction work going on for what seems like at least a year, making any excursion across the bridge involve at least 3 more detours than you were originally expecting.

Nice people though. The father seemed legitimately surprised that I not only knew what fish sauce was, but specifically wanted and asked for it (was ordering either shrimp paste or barbecue pork skewers, I forget).

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: August 18, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »

Bingo. Tiny little family-owned wall-hole across the bridge from here, one of precisely two Vietnamese spots I've ever seen in Norway. Don't eat there nearly often enough, because that would generally involve walking and eating there, as opposed to just huddling like hermits in solitude... Also there's been construction work going on for what seems like at least a year, making any excursion across the bridge involve at least 3 more detours than you were originally expecting.

Nice people though. The father seemed legitimately surprised that I not only knew what fish sauce was, but specifically wanted and asked for it (was ordering either shrimp paste or barbecue pork skewers, I forget).
Ooh, nice!

What meat do you get with your broth?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: August 18, 2018, 06:35:52 pm »

Ooh, nice!

What meat do you get with your broth?
Nothing too special, the menu only offers two things: Normal and Special. According to the ingredients list, they are exactly the same, but the Special costs about $5 more. Not sure what that's all about. Meat is listed as such: "Steak, high beef steak, beef ball".

"High beef" probably means chuck steak, since the Norwegian word is "Høyrygg", meaning "High-back". No tripe or anything, I guess that's just a bit too adventurous for most folks... Which makes precisely zero sense, considering some of the things Norwegians eat.

Which is a shame, because I actually quite like tripe. Quite fond of tendon, too.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: August 18, 2018, 06:37:02 pm »

Eek, you like tripe? :3

Ah, sounds fun. You could probably ask them the difference though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: August 18, 2018, 06:39:13 pm »

Be mildly amusing if the only difference between normal and special was the name and the price tag. It describes not the meal, but the customer :P

E: ... now I kinda' want to see a restaurant blatantly have a swindler's line of food, to see how many people buy it. Explicitly called stuff like Swindler's Stew, it's nothing but some other food you prepare with a different name/swindler prefix and higher price.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:42:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: August 18, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »

Be mildly amusing if the only difference between normal and special was the name and the price tag. It describes not the meal, but the customer :P

E: ... now I kinda' want to see a restaurant blatantly have a swindler's line of food, to see how many people buy it. Explicitly called stuff like Swindler's Stew, it's nothing but some other food you prepare with a different name/swindler prefix and higher price.
This has been the theme for an advertising campaign her in Norway, actually... Have a food stand or pizza shop or something, offer two identical items but one is called "Deluxe" and costs 4-5x more. The moral being "Our service is just a good, it's only cheaper". The pizza shop variant had the dude specifically try to sell the customer on the Deluxe option with "Go on, you're worth it!", and was criticized for being racist.

Eek, you like tripe? :3

Ah, sounds fun. You could probably ask them the difference though.
I try to make an effort to taste things that I'd normally consider weird/bizarre/off-putting, just for the sake of giving it an honest chance. I mean, tripe isn't exactly the be-all end-all of meats, but the consistency is different and I think it soaks up the soup flavor at least as well as brisket does (okay, I'll admit... I mainly eat it just to prove that I don't have a problem with eating it. I legitimately like the consistency of tendons/ligaments though). The "weirdest" thing I've gotten to try in a Vietnamese restaurant was avocado boba, and avocado boba is fucking amazing. Still haven't quite summoned the courage to order the pickled lemonade though...

I'm pretty sure I did ask the difference a long time ago, but I didn't understand what the guy said so I just nodded and went "Ahh", and left just as clueless as before.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: August 18, 2018, 08:45:34 pm »

The pizza shop variant had the dude specifically try to sell the customer on the Deluxe option with "Go on, you're worth it!", and was criticized for being racist.
Is there some context I'm missing as to what makes "Go on you're worth it" racist?

EDIT: am I the only one who unironically ships Waluigi X Rosalina? I mean why not right?
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 637