Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676704 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5010 on: April 05, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »

The chemical in question does rather infamously build up in cerebrospinal fluid, which probably causes the confusion.  It's not applied by injection though (nngh) but generally absorbed through the tongue (or skin).

The claim that bothered me was that dripping it into the eye would bring it to the ocular cortex specifically before other parts of the brain.  I can see why someone would assume so, but almost certainly incorrectly.

It just lead to a weird strange, frustrating conversation where I kept insisting that nerves were wires of neurons, not tubes of chemicals "circulating information".  And when I found a cross-section of a nerve bundle and that the bundles do contain liquid, so maybe they had a point, I got an excited lecture about what the funny bone is.

It's kinda ironic how surreal the conversation got without actually involving the drug in question.  We moved on to DND around the time I posted.  By which I mean they discussed bell peppers for the entire time I typed this reply.  We meander a lot, it's very social.

I'm still uncomfortably irritated but I think it's due to the weather swinging warm today.

Edit: Oops, missed your edit!  Thanks for the information, I'll catch up on it next time vegetables come up XD
yay I was right lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:43:17 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: April 21, 2019, 05:27:11 pm »

Gah, trying to remember a singer, but I can only recollect a couple music videos and a bit of general information that bears no googly fruit.

It's a woman singer, relatively recent-ish music (3-7 years, I think? maybe a bit older), either British or Irish - I think she had a bit of a Celtic accent.
One video clip consists entirely of her standing on some non-descript field holding a bunch of black balloons. There's a strong wind blowing. She has short black hair in this one, and is wearing a long summer dress, with bare arms. She is befreckled and lanky.
The other had her singing in a pub. She's blonde now. The video is black-and-white. It follows a couple 50-something blokes, apparently old mates, getting pissed in the pub before getting angry over some argument, one of them clocking the other unconscious. Then the guy calms down and helps his mate pick himself up and go home to his wife. The wife is stereotypically angry at first, but the husband embraces her through a flurry of blows which leaves her as if paralysed by the man's vulnerability.

Anyone?

(edit: I think the second one was called 'Reasons', had the word 'reasons' in the name, or had the word featured prominently in the lyrics; but I still can't find it)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:56:19 pm by Il Palazzo »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: April 27, 2019, 09:59:49 am »

Is there a handwriting equivalent of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", in the sense that it tests the overall not-terribleness of someone's handwriting in one sentence?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: April 27, 2019, 12:06:03 pm »

Is there a specific genre for music that consists of "whoa"s, "yeah"s and vaguely tribal-ish sounding drums?

Failing that, is there a term for when the lyrics are nothing but whoas and yeahs, or when they repeat the chorus for like five minutes straight?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: April 27, 2019, 12:07:04 pm »

Is there a specific genre for music that consists of "whoa"s, "yeah"s and vaguely tribal-ish sounding drums?

Failing that, is there a term for when the lyrics are nothing but whoas and yeahs, or when they repeat the chorus for like five minutes straight?
Early 2010s pop rock?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: April 27, 2019, 04:37:59 pm »

Uhh... Do you mean tribal chanting stuff or more conventional music that just consists of drums and repeated exclamations? Because there's plenty of "tribal" genre music going around. First related thing off the top of my head is Heilung, but they're possibly just a bit gothic/metal for what you're looking for. And while the lyrics in that particular clip do have a particular rhythm, it is a bit more than just one chorus or one or two monosyllabic vocalizations.

Is there a handwriting equivalent of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", in the sense that it tests the overall not-terribleness of someone's handwriting in one sentence?
Nothing that I'm immediately aware of, but handwriting workbooks/courses will generally include various movement practices such as loops and zigzags to cover the basic movements.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: April 27, 2019, 04:51:27 pm »

Uhh... Do you mean tribal chanting stuff or more conventional music that just consists of drums and repeated exclamations? Because there's plenty of "tribal" genre music going around. First related thing off the top of my head is Heilung, but they're possibly just a bit gothic/metal for what you're looking for. And while the lyrics in that particular clip do have a particular rhythm, it is a bit more than just one chorus or one or two monosyllabic vocalizations.

When I say "tribal," what I mean is "anything other than a conventional drum set." There's one song that plays all the time at work, I don't know the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it's just a three-minute loop of somebody going "whoooaaa-ohh, WOOOAHHH-AHH-OHH, WOOOAHH-AHH-OHH, wha-oh." Very crunchy-granola new-agey stuff with absolutely no substance other than "feel good because I say so." I try to explain what the song is and how much I hate it to people, but it gets to be quite a mouthful, so I'm wondering if there's a single word or phrase that encompasses it.

I also heard an absolute banger at work last night, that consisted of nothing but the female singer declaring "We aaaaaaaaalll have a stooooooryyyy" for what felt like hours.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: April 27, 2019, 05:04:24 pm »

Worldbeat? Something like Enigma's Return to Innocence?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: April 29, 2019, 08:24:07 am »

annoying

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: April 29, 2019, 10:05:10 pm »

In this PBF comic:
https://pbfcomics.com/comics/the-offenders/
I get the onomatopoeic slurs for the Chinese (chink) and the white guy (cracker). But I don't get what slur is referred to for the Mexican, or what stereotype is the first guy even supposed to represent.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: April 29, 2019, 10:08:34 pm »

In this PBF comic:
https://pbfcomics.com/comics/the-offenders/
I get the onomatopoeic slurs for the Chinese (chink) and the white guy (cracker). But I don't get what slur is referred to for the Mexican, or what stereotype is the first guy even supposed to represent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: April 29, 2019, 10:11:00 pm »

Cheers.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: May 01, 2019, 12:19:29 am »

Is there anybody that still legitimately watches ads for the information contained therein? I have a hard time believing that anybody views traditional ad breaks as anything other than deeply-entrenched pests.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5023 on: May 01, 2019, 05:10:32 am »

There's a rare occasion where an advert will just happen to be for something I was looking for recently anyway, in which case I may find it helpful, but that's all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: May 01, 2019, 07:17:01 am »

As a general thing... well, I've met them, but they're the same sort of people that willingly watch (and worse, buy things from) infomercials. So there's some out there. Mostly older, it feels.

Even those folks don't hold that outlook on every ad, though. It's conditional (on more than just ad subject, whether or not they have ad producing whatever on for anything except noise also has an effect), basically.

Most people, I think, are like Arx, though. If they haven't gone out of their way to excise advertising from their media consumption entirely, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 636