Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 675955 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5085 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:59 pm »

Christianism doesn't have that kind of tolerance though I don't quite get why the christians were persecuted in the beginning.... If somebody happens to know?

Well, you have to realize that we're looking back on "Christian persecution in Rome", at least in the popular understanding, from primarily Christian sources, and there's an obvious modern motivation to exaggerate the suffering to make the early Christians seem more Christ-like and devoted and martyr-y -- and an obvious contemporary motivation, particularly during the early Christian schisms, to sound like you kept the faith through worse than the other (heretical) guy. The Donatists were particularly keen on this.

This is part of why Christian and Jewish sources disagree on whether the latter's treatment of the former was persecution or discipline for breaking with a lot of the requirements of what was at that time their parent faith.

In any event, the specifically Roman persecution of Christians was mostly Diocletian's doing, and resulted from an attempted crackdown on non-Roman religion generally. The Christians had just alienated everyone to such an extent that the discretion of Roman provincial governors in implementing that edict did not work in their favor, although bear in mind that only ~5000 Christians died in the whole "three centuries of persecution."

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: June 16, 2019, 02:19:35 pm »

A possible contribution to the origion of the pesrecutions could be that the roman emperor was supposed to be the high priest of the ancient roman religion and since christianism was really compatible with it, it could be percieved that the christians were "rebelling" against the emperor's authority.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: June 16, 2019, 02:37:24 pm »

A possible contribution to the origion of the pesrecutions could be that the roman emperor was supposed to be the high priest of the ancient roman religion and since christianism was really compatible with it, it could be percieved that the christians were "rebelling" against the emperor's authority.

Kind of? Decius and Diocletian were Imperial revivalists and among the more draconian emperors vis-a-vis Christian persecution, but the Imperial cult happened after the official Roman religious apparatus helped equate apostasy with treason. It was roughly analogous to the Chinese "Mandate of Heaven" insofar as cultus was as much a social contract as a religious affair, and apotheosis a political tool.

So yes, it contributed, but you could argue it was more of an excuse than a cause.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: June 16, 2019, 08:34:22 pm »

Diocletian, killer fucking band right there.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: June 17, 2019, 12:54:57 am »

So yes, it contributed, but you could argue it was more of an excuse than a cause.

Well, the people in the province of Judea had a history of revolting against the roman empire so (I suppose) at least some of the roman citizens would be suspicious of the christians resulting in higher tensions among the populations which can then lead to more extreme forms of violence. Which is valid threat against the empire's stability.

I do agree with you though, that this would make it a very convinient excuse/exploit for anyone who wanted to gain or hold political power, regardless of their religious beliefs.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: June 25, 2019, 11:02:34 am »

Is there a way to remove all the posts you made on this forum with relative ease? Thus far the only thing I can think of is going through them one-by-one and editing them all.
Send a PM to Toady One. So far as I'm aware, there are no user tools that allow you to do that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: June 25, 2019, 11:08:07 am »

Don't do it, GO!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: June 25, 2019, 12:46:36 pm »

Not wanting to leave the forums, I'm just wanting to remove the trail of cringey-as-fuck breadcrumbs I've left since I was a teenager here, because Jesus Christ have I left some.
As have we all, amigo... As have we all...

Well, at least those of us who have been around that long.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: June 25, 2019, 01:06:01 pm »

greatorder waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were breadcrumbs in the database. He didn't see them, but had cringed over them, now for years. His own warnings to not write stupid shit were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
greatorder was a Bay12 forumite for eight years. When he was young he watched the internets and he said to dad "I want to be on the forums, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE CRINGE BY POSTS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the small random questions thread of the Bay12 he knew there were cringey posts.
"This is the older you," the radio crackered. "You must delete the posts!"
So greatorder gotted his profile page and blew up the posting history.
"HE GOING TO DELETE US," said the posts!
"I will remorse at him," said the Cybercringer and he fired the shame missiles. John clicked at him and tried to delete him out. But then the list went on and on and they were trapped and not able to delete.
"No! I must delete the posts," he shouted!
The radio said "No, greatorder. You are the posts."
And then, greatorder was a penguin.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: June 25, 2019, 01:38:07 pm »

To delete greatorder's past, one must first go back to the source.

To the fapmaster.

Someone had better save that before GO bombs it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: June 25, 2019, 04:52:27 pm »

That was quoted for posterity a while ago. Pretty sure it's in the first post of the happy thread?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »

Oh, I really didn't have to read through all those posts then. Oh well.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: June 25, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »

I just realised.

I'm reaching the point of becoming one of the older members. Been here about two and a half years.

Feels odd.
Hah.

I always think these forums would make great material for an academic study. I do History, but I'm srill sorely tempted to pick some forumites and churn out a psychological/sociological paper on them.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: June 25, 2019, 06:02:26 pm »

I just realised.

I'm reaching the point of becoming one of the older members. Been here about two and a half years.

Feels odd.
Hah.

I always think these forums would make great material for an academic study. I do History, but I'm srill sorely tempted to pick some forumites and churn out a psychological/sociological paper on them.
do

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: June 25, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »

Well, Toady got back to me and apparently the only way to do it is to nuke everything, profile included.

Nobody has a script hanging around that modifies all your posts, have they? Otherwise this is going to be a several month long project.
Don't do it, everyone has old embarrassing posts. It's nice being able to look back through the mists of time and see how one has grown as a person!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 636