Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676399 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5100 on: June 25, 2019, 11:06:17 pm »

It's also great for the psychological dossier the NSA is compiling!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: June 26, 2019, 07:50:46 am »

I think I can see my grasp of English grammar improving through time in those posts.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: June 26, 2019, 12:59:31 pm »

A friend gave me a standard bottle of homebrew cider uh... a couple weeks ago?  I finally got around to cracking it open.  It's been in the refrigerator the whole time, so it won't have gone bad from light, but a different friend suggested it might have gone bad anyway?  Not sure why that would be, just slightly worried I guess.

It didn't have much pressure in the bottle, almost flat.  I tasted a little and it's kinda sweet and apple-sour.  My sense of smell is unreliable at best so I can't test it that way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: June 28, 2019, 12:15:40 pm »

A friend gave me a standard bottle of homebrew cider uh... a couple weeks ago?  I finally got around to cracking it open.  It's been in the refrigerator the whole time, so it won't have gone bad from light, but a different friend suggested it might have gone bad anyway?  Not sure why that would be, just slightly worried I guess.

It didn't have much pressure in the bottle, almost flat.  I tasted a little and it's kinda sweet and apple-sour.  My sense of smell is unreliable at best so I can't test it that way.

Is it supposed to be a hard cider (alcoholic) or soft cider (apple juice)?

It being sweet, means that whatever fermentation process might have happen didn't go all the way.
Being flat could be, because either it didn't ferment long enough to build pressure or the bottle wasn't properly closed and the CO2 leaked out.
I'm not sure about ciders but (AFAIK) when an apple goes bad it will either have a stronger apple smell or a strong sourdough smell (if something fermented it as it was spoiling).

Did you notice any side effects after tasting it? Did it have any noticeable alcohol?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: June 28, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »

It was supposedly alcoholic and I think I tasted a bit, though I drank it far too slowly to detect any buzz.  There was a slight fizz so I don't think it leaked, just less fizz than I expected.

All in all I guess it probably didn't ferment enough, which just seems odd because I left it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks (and it was supposedly ready when I received it).  It tasted alright though and I didn't get sick so yay!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: June 28, 2019, 04:08:29 pm »

Depending on the yeast, fridge temperature can really halt their activity and thus stop the fermentation from happening. If that particular cider was relying on a secondary fermentation (inside the bottle) for carbonation then that might explain why it was flat. (But that contradicts the statement of the cider being ready).

Since it didn’t cause any trouble then all is well I guess.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: July 06, 2019, 03:12:43 pm »

Are we allowed to talk about Nintendo homebrew

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: July 06, 2019, 03:16:53 pm »

Are we allowed to talk about Nintendo homebrew
There are no rules; the thread owner account no longer exists, meaning that the guidelines cannot be enforced except by direct moderator notice.

It's anarchy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: July 06, 2019, 05:09:03 pm »

Like... I think so? Homebrew's mostly legal, iirc, so long as your keep your mouth shut about where bios files and whatnot may or may not have came from. Might be different with newer consoles, I'unno.

Basically if whatever you want to talk about isn't in a legal grey area or illegal, you're good. If you want to talk about the stuff it'll be your responsibility to make sure what you want to talk about is in the clear. If you're still in doubt after that, just ask Toady. From what I've noticed he tends to be willing to answer questions like that for folks that aren't sure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:05 pm »

depending on the nintendo system in question, there may or may not be copyrighted binaries involved.

Regardless, it is assuredly an EULA violation (since ninty sells you a console under the business model that you will then buy licensed games, and they make their REAL money collecting game license fees per sale.) and depending on the enforcibility of that in your region, it may or may not have teeth.

In general:

NES uses a hardware lockout chip that has STILL not been effectively defeated. (Rather, official lockout keys are removed from dead/discarded NES carts, and installed in the supermulticart flash offerings.)

SNES does not have a copy protection that I know of...

N64 same story

Game Cube uses a special disc, and signature enforcement. An early exploit was discovered in a game that was able to download updated copies of the main game binary from the internet, by masquerading as the game's server back-end with a special program. After that, additional exploits were found in the game disc loader firmware itself, allowing disc swap discs to be produced by action replay and pals. These discs could be used to load homebrew.

Wii uses a special disc format, along with digital signature enforcement. It is defeated by reintroducing the Trucha bug (IOS 58, iirc?) which allows the console to self-sign binaries for execution, which opens the door to installation of specially modified IOS handlers that effectively disable that signature enforcement, opening the system wide.

Wii-U uses a special disc format and digital signature enforcement, but has a better security model. It is defeated using a browser exploit which smashes the stack and allows unsigned code to run. This opens the door. Additionally, a hash collision was calculated on a handful of eshop titles, allowing a "Trojanized" eshop title to be used to exploit the console and execute unsigned code.  On the vWii side, the same attacks as used on a Wii apply.

Nintendo Switch:  Early revisions of the switch console had a vulnerable boot loader baked into the Tegra cpu itself, that could have its stack smashed, and execution jumped, by being fed a special (very very large) USB stack setup packet over the USB bus. This allowed the boot process to be hijacked before nintendo's Horizon OS could even load. In order to deliver the packet, the device has to be in a special recovery mode, called RCM, that is normally intended for factory refurbishment and repair. In order to put a stock console into that mode, an "RCM Jig" (two wires that touch two contacts on the right joycon rail) has to be inserted which causes a dead short, causing the unit to panic, and enter RCM.  Once exploited however, changing a single  byte in the boot0 binary causes the system to panic as well, and enter RCM. (this is what "autoRCM" actually is.)  There are many modchips available that work in conjunction with autoRCM to inject the large setup packet that can be installed directly inside the switch, allowing for mostly painless operation. (Many early prototypes were built using the trinket M0, and have open firmwares, if you want to DIY. I remember that I thought it was quite funny that the GBATemp forum population made working modchips before china could.)  Once the console's boot process is exploited, a custom firmware is loaded. (Such as ReiNX, SXOS, and pals.) 

Nintendo of course, was "Very upset" that the switch could be hacked into in this fashion, and worked with AMD to fix the overflow in the RCM mode on subsequent models. All units in stores today are patched to prevent this exploit, and cannot run homebrew.  (I happen to have an exploitable console...)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:53:45 pm by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: July 06, 2019, 11:51:32 pm »

SNES does not have a copy protection that I know of...
Wait, wasn't there Super 3D Noah's Ark, which had a cartridge slot on top of it, that you'd have to insert a legit SNES cart into for the game to actually run? If there wasn't a lockout chip in there, why would it be necessary?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: July 07, 2019, 12:21:14 am »

Seems you are right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIC_(Nintendo)

It was adapted for use in the NES, SNES, and N64 systems.  (Did not know... Now I do!)

I also forgot to add the DS, DSi, and 3DS on the list for completeness, but meh.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: July 08, 2019, 11:55:25 pm »

Am I the only one who finds it aesthetically pleasing when Discord message notifications on the sidebar (you know, the white ones) are in a symmetric pattern?

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: July 08, 2019, 11:57:06 pm »

I find nothing about discord aesthetically pleasing
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 636