Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 675418 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5145 on: August 26, 2019, 01:11:54 am »

Why is it that I frequently experience full body lethargy, and have to operate on like a third of my proper mental capacity when that happens? 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5146 on: August 26, 2019, 04:23:10 am »

Hunger, fatigue, or flu?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: August 26, 2019, 05:52:39 am »

The old geezers you work with suck out your life force to sustain themselves. Watch out for the geezers. They hunger.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: August 26, 2019, 05:56:28 am »

Fuck I wouldn't be surprised...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: August 26, 2019, 06:00:57 am »

Sister's ex worked in a care role with oldies.

He says he got gummed every now and then. No teeth, so they do sort of suck at you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: August 26, 2019, 12:16:43 pm »

To meet a new person that could add some spicy fun, new experiences and possibbly gonorrhea too in your life then yes, I would say it was a missed opportunity. I mean it's the whole purpose of a dating app...

To meet a new person that would turn out to be a suitable companion for any length of your lifetime...yeah that would be debateable even in the best of circumstances.

True. Who would want to spend the rest of their life with someone fun?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5151 on: August 26, 2019, 08:21:28 pm »

To meet a new person that would turn out to be a suitable companion for any length of your lifetime...yeah that would be debateable even in the best of circumstances.
Oh yeah definitely not with that attitude

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: August 27, 2019, 04:08:23 am »

I'm not sure if I read on your replies too seriously, could you elaborate please?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: August 30, 2019, 06:14:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:56:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 01, 2019, 10:21:04 pm »

My friend gave me a math question that I can't solve. It's hard enough that even my math teacher was stumped, so at this point, I'm asking ya'll to solve it. The following is that question with names redacted:

The table below shows the format of a Diagnostic Test consisting of 25 questions. Each correct answer is awarded one mark.

Section
  Number of questions
Type of question
I
Multiple-choice (A, B, C, D)
II
Tick "✓" or "x"
III
Fill in the blank with the correct answer.

[NAME] sits for the test and she answered all questions in Section I and II, and only 3 questions from Section III. It is found that 9 of her answers in Section I, 5 answers in Section II and all her answers in Section III are correct.
Calculate the chances [NAME] will score 80% in the Diagnostic Test.

Spoiler: The "correct" answer (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: September 01, 2019, 11:04:23 pm »

Well, I gave it a shot.  I'm pretty tired and stuff so I probably messed it up, apparently.
To clarify, is it exactly 80%, or at least 80%?  I didn't reproduce the stated solution either way.

Probably made a mistake somewhere but meh I took this as a rapid-scripting exercise, and I'm super rusty on stats math.

Edit: I thought I saw the error but I forgot I put the print statement within the if-statement.  So it's still a mystery
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:12:06 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 01, 2019, 11:33:56 pm »

To clarify, is it exactly 80%, or at least 80%?  I didn't reproduce the stated solution either way.
Exactly 80%. I tried doing this question, and through weapons-grade bullshitting, I ended up with 264/1024.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 02, 2019, 08:20:26 am »

Huh. I get 11/320 for exactly 80%.  If it's 80% or greater - I'll have to look at that later; I'm getting ready to run out of the house.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:21:58 am by McTraveller »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: September 02, 2019, 10:11:27 am »

Exactly 80%. I tried doing this question, and through weapons-grade bullshitting, I ended up with 264/1024.

I can see a possible error. For the "3 from group 1" option, you have to multiply that by the chance of getting zero from group 2.

Breaking it down into English, so I can get a handled on it.

The chance of getting 1 right from group 1 is 1/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4, all times 4. But you have to multiply that by the chance of getting 2 right from group 2, which is 1/4. So you get 27/256 for option 1, definitely.

For option 2, the chance of 2 right group 1 is 1/4 * 1/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 but there are 6 ways to distribute. That's times 1/2 for the 2/4 ways you can get 1 right in group 2, so 27/256 again.

For option 3, the chance of 3 right from group 1 is 1/4 * 1/4 * 1/4 * 3/4 times 4, but divided by four since you also have to get zero right in group 2. So 3/256

So, I get 57/256 from this.

Note, that this one change reconciles what Rolan7 and methylatedspirit got. All I can think is that there may be some error in how the original question was printed, or the interpretation.

For McTraveller, I have a hunch you need some terms with the 3/4 chance of not getting right answers in group 1 in there.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:37:23 am by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: September 02, 2019, 01:28:13 pm »

Yeah I have a lot of errors  :o - I should've known better than doing it literally on the way out the door.  I had an extra divide by 20 as well as not including the "fail" probabilities.

I can get 57/256 if I fix those.  I don't know how to get 28/256.

EDIT:

I think our difficulty is we are assuming she is guessing randomly on the "remaining" questions.  We should likely be using the conditional probability formula: probability( A and B) = probability(A) * probability(B happening if A happened) instead.  Thing is, I'm not sure which probabilities are known with the information we've been given.

I am starting to suspect we are missing information or the question is in fact phrased incorrectly.  I'm also not sure of the importance of why [NAME] would be redacted.  Isn't this a fictitious question?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:38:11 pm by McTraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 636