Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676287 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5160 on: September 03, 2019, 05:59:53 am »

I am starting to suspect we are missing information or the question is in fact phrased incorrectly.
I wouldn't be too surprised if that's the case. After discussing the question with another math teacher, it turns out that the "intended" solution can only be reproduced when you throw the binomial distribution out the window, and use the conditional probability formula. I'm pretty sure it's bullshit, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: McTraveller
I'm also not sure of the importance of why [NAME] would be redacted.  Isn't this a fictitious question?
I was quoting the question verbatim, and I redact names on principle. Sure, I could've made up a name, and it would've been less jarring, but I'm too lazy. What do you mean by 'fictitious', though? The question is about a fictional situation, but it was intended for students studying at a school for gifted students.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 03, 2019, 07:18:24 am »

What do you mean by 'fictitious', though? The question is about a fictional situation, but it was intended for students studying at a school for gifted students.
I just meant I wasn't sure why a name would need to be redacted in a made-up problem.  Even if the original problem had a real person's name in it, I mean say it was Helen, how would that even matter?  It just seemed odd that the name was redacted.  I'm wondering if perhaps there was more information about the students, so that the name may have mattered if we had a history of the grades associated with the student to use in the conditional probability?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 04, 2019, 06:53:49 am »

What's some of the best Arthurian fiction that is still reasonably close to the original mythology? I've tried to read L'Morte d'Arthur a ton of times and just can't get past the old English it was written in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 04, 2019, 06:59:25 am »

Surely there has to be an update-translated version that's in fresh English somewhere.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5164 on: September 04, 2019, 07:55:20 am »

TH White's The Once and Future King is pretty good, from what I remember. However, The Book of Merlin which is usually published separately is an incredibly thinly veiled political tirade about fascism, so you can skip that one. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 04, 2019, 09:27:40 am »

What's some of the best Arthurian fiction that is still reasonably close to the original mythology? I've tried to read L'Morte d'Arthur a ton of times and just can't get past the old English it was written in.

J. R. R. Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Also contains Sir Orfeo and Pearl!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 29, 2019, 01:06:45 am »

Is it bad that I stopped taking my medication a while back?

I was visiting family and being even lazier than usual and found myself forgetting to take them more and more frequently, until it got to the point that, since I hadn't taken them in several days without seeing any sign of the godawful side-effects that supposedly happen if one suddenly stops taking them, I just wouldn't bother.
Not like I'd been noticing much/anything in the way of benefits, in any case. Then again, I was never on a very high dosage.

Not sure if I should just continue on not giving a fuck, or go see my GP about it (come to think of it, I was supposed to go show him a letter about that broken collarbone of mine anyway), or maybe just... I dunno.

Asking 'cause I need to go to the pharmacy later anyway, which reminded me that they were on my case a while back for the prescription I had waiting to be refilled.

Edit: oh yeah, it's an SSRI, if that makes any difference in your answers.
Escitalopram.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:09:21 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5167 on: September 29, 2019, 01:51:04 am »

Is it bad that I stopped taking my medication a while back?
As long as it's not hurting anyone else and you're aware of the consequences and prepared to deal with that then I don't see how it could be a bad thing. If you're asking because you're not sure what will happen, then this is a question for your doctor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 29, 2019, 03:29:00 am »

I was visiting family and being even lazier than usual and found myself forgetting to take them more and more frequently, until it got to the point that, since I hadn't taken them in several days without seeing any sign of the godawful side-effects that supposedly happen if one suddenly stops taking them, I just wouldn't bother.
SSRIs tend to be fairly long-lasting, so it takes a while to "load" the system, but then it also takes multiple days before they're completely out of your body.

I don't notice much effect from mine, either. If I self-evaluate, I can definitely say that I don't feel much of any difference in mood or general energy/ability.

But you know how I can feel that? Because I'm not spending half of my time in a funk so deep that I can't even piece two thoughts together. I used to have 2-3 black days every week, now I can go over a month between dips and it's very rare that they're as powerful as they were back before.

Proper evaluation of antidepressant effectiveness isn't based on how you feel, it's based on being able to point to your track record and say "This is when I started taking it, and a month later the incidence rate of depressive episodes started going down". Which is admittedly a lot of record-keeping for someone who needs antidepressants.

But yeah, what Parsely said. If you're uncertain, talk with the doc.

Wizard of Manaia

• Bay Watcher
  • Mmm lignin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 29, 2019, 04:32:50 am »

I eat mushrooms. Seems to work for me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: September 29, 2019, 04:40:33 am »

As medically recommended by 9/10 vivid hallucinations!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 29, 2019, 04:48:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:56:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 29, 2019, 08:13:13 am »

Thanks for the answers, guys!
@Kagus: I'm pretty sure the only real benefit to them I noticed was, earlier on in the piece (but not so early on that they wouldn't have started taking effect) there was the odd moment where I'd pause to think, "hang on, this is a super stressful situation where I would normally be reduced to a gibbering and/or monosyllabic wreck by anxiety, and yet I'm actually holding it together! How nice," whereas my bouts of depression seemed to grow proportionally to the drop in anxiety.
Of course, as you say, keeping an accurate record of feelbads is hard work. I did try to keep a general journal for a while, which I'm sure would have helped to gain a vague idea of my mental state if I'd started it up again, but it wasn't exactly scientific.
All those weird apps for tracking mental health seem hella daunting, too, especially since they all seem to want one to dive straight into the whole meditation side of things. Yecch.

I think the main thing I was asking wasn't so much "are withdrawal symptoms gonna fuck me over entirely" since I seem to have somehow skipped those anyway (although according to my googling tonight they can take a long time depending on the person), but more... should I feel like I've let myself down by giving up on this particular avenue of potential self-improvement, even if it didn't seem to be doing a great deal?

I mean sure, a better idea would probably be to discuss trying different medications, but it takes me a lot of effort to work up the nerve to seek out any doctor interactions, let alone if the plan is to say "hey your shit ain't working for me doc, gimme something better".
How confrontational!

I really oughtta at least get back on track with my less-daunting psychologist appointments, since it's always nice to at least talk at someone even if I usually kick myself afterwards for forgetting all the important stuff, but I can't afford to pay their "missing an appointment without giving notice" fee, which I still owe from last time. Whoops, haha.

Also I gotta head to the city and buy new books for use as diaries/journals. OCD decrees that buying a different, easier-to-find book would be entirely unacceptable.

But wouldn't that involve having to go outside to find 'em?! Bugger that for a joke. :P   
Seriously though I can be pretty fun guy when the fancy takes me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5173 on: September 29, 2019, 08:28:38 am »

All those weird apps for tracking mental health seem hella daunting, too, especially since they all seem to want one to dive straight into the whole meditation side of things. Yecch.

Hahaa, time to shill! I've been using Daylio for like a year and it's super simple, super intuitive, and does everything you need to track your mood. You put it into one of five broad categories with optional customisable subcategories, and you can also record activities and a short note with it, if you want to. But you can always just enter a broad category and hit save, which I really like.

The interface is very clean and usable, and it doesn't try to do anything other than record how you're feeling. You can configure it to give you a notification up to twice a day in the free version, at times of your choosing, to make an entry, and AFAIK there are almost no limitations other than the number of reminders on the free version. That said, I liked it so much I paid for it within a day or two of buying it, so I might have forgotten. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 30, 2019, 07:40:57 am »

Hey science people! Or people who were present and attentive during high school science class, at least.

I know joules apparently don't measure pressure (even though I could have sworn they did, but again, science class was a long time ago and I avoided it where possible), but would I avoid looking like an ass if I said "...a few joules' worth of pressure?"
Trotting out these 'pascals' or whatever tf they're called would make for clunky wording and entirely destroy the joke I'm trying to make.
If that's no good I could always go with "kinetic force" or something, I guess, even though it still doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as the original.

@Arx: well, I'll give it a shot! Thanks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 636