Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667021 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5295 on: November 06, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »

Bowser was called king koopa in SMB 1.
The rest of the question I don't fully feel prepared to answer.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:55 pm »

When and how did humans invade the Mushroom Kingdom? How and why was a human put in charge? I am talking of course about the Mario universe

I think the real answer is explained in the movie.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 06, 2019, 10:27:19 pm »

That was when Mario and Luigi entered the dinosaur realm, but, were there any Toads? And where was Princess Peach?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 06, 2019, 10:58:34 pm »

When and how did humans invade the Mushroom Kingdom? How and why was a human put in charge? I am talking of course about the Mario universe

We do not acknowledge the canonicity of that movie.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:03 am »

We do not acknowledge the canonicity of that movie.
So you're saying it's canon. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: November 07, 2019, 02:51:42 am »

If you turn left instead of going right in world 2-2 of SMB1, it actually has an audiolog explaining the lore of the Mario universe. A lot of people miss that secret.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: November 07, 2019, 06:47:08 am »

Isn’t that the one with the sun chasing you?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: November 07, 2019, 06:51:39 am »

If you turn left instead of going right in world 2-2 of SMB1, it actually has an audiolog explaining the lore of the Mario universe. A lot of people miss that secret.
It's just past the sea of hyper-realistic blood, but only on "classic" carts bought from yard sales.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: November 07, 2019, 08:55:47 am »

It's funny 'cause the characters are Italian (or at least I thought they were until they turned out to be parasitic humanoid fungus monsters) and now we've gone into frightening pasta territory.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:42 am »

This whole discussion is making me curious, can Cordyceps fungi control humans similarly to ants if it were to get inside of humans? Fairly sure no one tested this yet

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:42 am »

Pretty sure there was a whole other videogame about that a while back. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:38 am »

can Cordyceps fungi control humans similarly to ants if it were to get inside of humans?
-Elevator pitch for The Last of Us (2013)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: November 07, 2019, 10:32:58 am »

This whole discussion is making me curious, can Cordyceps fungi control humans similarly to ants if it were to get inside of humans? Fairly sure no one tested this yet
In short: No. Human brains are so vastly different from and more complex than ant/moth/tarantula brains that even if the spores managed to get into the brain itself (which is also considerably more difficult for outside contaminants considering how we're put together), they wouldn't know what to do. You need more complex tools to drive a more complex vehicle (heck, just trying to get us to walk/stand upright would require some serious manipulation power, let alone attaching objectives to where it's making us walk), and Cordyceps currently just doesn't have what it takes.

Is it possible for something to potentially reach the level of complexity required to "mind control" humans? Maybe.

There are already things that can tweak our personalities in certain ways (see: Toxoplasmosis gondii and rabies), but that's primarily just making comparatively minor adjustments to something that's still mostly independent. Radical, full-spectrum host control is pretty unlikely, but it's entirely possible that powerful enough behavioral shifts could be effected to be good enough for an apocalypse.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: November 07, 2019, 10:45:47 am »

The ant infected with Cordyceps seeks humid climate and the sun, wants to go as high up as possible and doesn't let go once it's there. All the other ants think it's crazy, but it don't care. An orange fungus sprouts on its head.

The Donald is infected, is what I'm saying.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: November 07, 2019, 11:04:47 am »

I’m thinking, how does something like this evolve? Before Cordyceps controlled minds, I imagine it would have lived in ants long before it produced the required chemicals for mind control. I’m curious how various organisms started the path to parasitism, and how these parasites evolved the ability to control their hosts. It’s no question, of course, that controlling a host would be advantageous, the question is how it started, one or more mutations causing the production of a chemical that seemed enough like that of the host to be interpreted as, say, a pheromone/hormone (depending on host), I’m curious, also, about how the parasite knows what it’s host is doing, does the host even perceive its environment, or has the parasite taken that role. Imagine, being trapped with nothing but your own thoughts, as you no longer able to perceive the outside, no longer aware of your body. It sounds almost like a sleep, of sorts. While we are asleep, we no longer perceive the outside world. Maybe mind controlling parasites put the host to sleep, taking over the host’s brain activity.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 635