Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667106 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5580 on: March 10, 2020, 09:27:14 am »

Deleted, irrelevant

Have you ever woken up with a headache due to your tossing and turning? Like on the floor?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:29:22 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: March 10, 2020, 10:30:16 am »

Have you ever woken up with a headache due to your tossing and turning? Like on the floor?

No, but I tore my shoulder muslces pretty effectively. Luckily, that was back when insurance was a thing you could use to help with medical care.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: March 10, 2020, 10:34:13 am »

haha, sure thing gramps, next you'll be telling us you had a pet velociraptor
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: March 10, 2020, 10:36:31 am »

No, but I tore my shoulder muslces pretty effectively. Luckily, that was back when insurance was a thing you could use to help with medical care.
im glad you’re ok, how high is your bed to where falling off tears your shoulder?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: March 10, 2020, 11:26:24 am »

I didn't fall out. That's just tossing and turning.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: March 10, 2020, 11:30:21 am »

oh, did you hit the side of your bed with the tossing and turning? How would a shoulder be torn?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: March 10, 2020, 11:38:33 am »

I'm not sure but it happens to me too occasionally.  I don't know if it's "torn", haven't gone to a doctor over it, but a couple times a year I wake up with one shoulder *very* sore.  Lasts 2-3 days.  I sleep on my side, I assume sometimes I lay at the wrong angle and am too asleep to wake up from the pain.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: March 10, 2020, 12:05:43 pm »

oh, did you hit the side of your bed with the tossing and turning? How would a shoulder be torn?

I was asleep at the time, but I assume laying on my arm and twisting violently. Stress sleep is not good sleep. Took a few months to fully heal.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: March 10, 2020, 11:46:20 pm »

Do schools in Nordic countries really teach about old Norse paganism, or whatever you want to call it?   
Started watching a show set in Norway and two of the main characters, who have just moved to a new town and a new school, have showed up just in time for a class on "Asatro". Now, this is clearly for the sake of the narrative - since this show's main theme is basically Norse mythology brought into modern times, from what I gather - but I'm curious as to how much suspension of disbelief is actually needed here, since as far as I know the Nordic governments are generally bent on repressing all such traditions.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: March 11, 2020, 01:36:48 am »

Both Norse and Greek mythology are part of our "Religious studues" class here in Sweden. It doesn't go particularly in-depth, but they teach the broad strokes.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: March 11, 2020, 02:01:56 am »

Historical Norse mythology does get taught, in much the same way "classical" mythology (Greek/Roman) gets taught.

Ásatru is specifically the contemporary version of the old beliefs, however, so it's not going to get brought up unless you're taking some kind of class that involves modern paganism.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: March 11, 2020, 02:34:19 am »

It's also simply not the word for old Norse mythology. It's just means "faith/belief in the gods". Depending on how universal the word "As" was used (It's both the word for a specific tribe of gods (the "Aesir" in English) as well as a generic word for gods) it might also have been used for any cultures divine mythology.

The way neopagans use it is just cultural appropriation and a bastardisation of the actual culture and mythology (and an insult to our ancestors and heritage), like all things neopagans do.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: March 11, 2020, 05:49:51 am »

Interesting! I'm not sure why they chose the word "Asatro", then. IIRC the teacher in that scene even described it as the religion of the vikings.
On the whole, though, I don't think this show's exactly aiming for theological accuracy - but then, it could easily have been the fault of the captioners.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: March 11, 2020, 06:45:10 am »

They used it because it is what we call the mythology today. What I was trying to say was that the old Norse would probably not have drawn those arbitrary lines around their mythology that we draw today in order to classify things, as they didn't classify it, they lived it.

Just another reason neo-pagans are dumb and don't understand the things they are bastardising.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: March 12, 2020, 05:59:08 pm »

Is there a reason why the RAM modules on my laptop are hidden behind a metal shield? Every other laptop I've opened up doesn't do this, so why would this one be different?
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 635