Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 673938 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5955 on: June 18, 2020, 03:01:30 pm »

What would PETA's reaction be if they were banned as an organization?
They would unleash their stocks of rabid cats and dogs from their shelters and doom humanity
Which wouldn't be a very large stock, considering they have an over 90% euthanasia rate...  Consequence of considering "pet-hood" to be tantamount to slavery, and that therefore death would be a more humane alternative.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: June 18, 2020, 03:20:59 pm »

What would PETA's reaction be if they were banned as an organization?
They would unleash their stocks of rabid cats and dogs from their shelters and doom humanity
Which wouldn't be a very large stock, considering they have an over 90% euthanasia rate...  Consequence of considering "pet-hood" to be tantamount to slavery, and that therefore death would be a more humane alternative.

Or a consequence of being a fraudulent organization run by people who adopt a cause and hawk donations merely to enrich themselves...

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: June 18, 2020, 06:02:46 pm »

I see what you did there

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: June 18, 2020, 06:30:06 pm »

So, in fact, if humans had more than just 3 kinds of cones, we could see a much wider range of colors.

I was thinking we could fix that, but if I'm getting unnecessary eye surgery, it'll be getting a tapetum lucidum (reflects light to increase ability to see in the dark) installed like sharks have.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: June 18, 2020, 06:39:39 pm »

Eh, may as well rip the things out and use that hardpoint to install some echolocation.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: June 18, 2020, 08:26:38 pm »

So, in fact, if humans had more than just 3 kinds of cones, we could see a much wider range of colors.
Some humans do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy#Humans
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: June 19, 2020, 12:38:37 am »

There are a few related but separate ideas here.

There are internal subjective colors, the qualia, and then there are the signal generated by the eye. More sensitive eyes don't make a "wider range" of subjective colors in the brain. The brain still needs to map the signals to subjective colors. This explains why we don't just evolve infra-red sight or something, since we'd have to map something like red onto that, and then we couldn't map that onto the existing spectrum anymore, meaning we're stretching less colors to cover more of the spectrum. This is probably the best way to understand things. Colors are in the brain, then signals from the outside world are mapped to the brain's color-space however they can fit. It's actually an illusion to believe that color resides in the light itself or in the cones of the eye, even. The cone only either send or don't send a signal, they don't send "color".

You have the people with tetrachromacy, a 4th type of cone, and some of them can definitely tell more colors apart. However that's almost certainly them having finer gradations between existing colors since they have more variation in eye-signal to work with. It's as if everyone else is working in 8 bit color and they're working at 10 bit color. More points between existing colors, but not a wider "range" of colors.

The real interesting thing however would be asking about how the qualia work. For that, the primary color theory is actually the most natural. It's more intuitive to see how red blue and yellow are unique and that mixing these makes the other colors. The mechanics of how rods and cones work in eye is just an implementation detail of the sensors, and things like red+green light mixing to yellow is just an artifact of how that's mapped to the qualia in the brain.

So in other words trying to say anything fundamental about the nature of color by studying the properties of light mixing is incorrect, since it's circular logic. Yellow light is just a specific wavelength of light, and it's not "made of" green and red light. We can fool ourselves otherwise by mixing red and green light and apparently, but not really, getting "yellow" light. Similarly, red + green + blue doesn't really "make" white. White and Black were probably the original qualia, representing light vs not-light, and as the vision system evolved, the system retained "backwards compatibility" by saying that if all receptors are active, that remains as "white".

As for the actual qualia, the in the brain stuff, my hunch is that the primary color system is the closest to the subjective reality and there are 5 basic color qualia: white, black, red, yellow, blue, with the others being mixes of these qualia. And the real fun question here is whether other qualia are possible, and how would be know? For example if you had the same system minus the blues, then you'd see the whole world in shades of red, orange yellow, and you couldn't conceive of blue, green, purple colors at all. We'd have the same issue imagining an unknown color component, but it's definitely possible even with our existing brain design.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:46:23 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:01 am »

Haha you said cones   

Edit: actual question: can you ferment doughnuts? Would a "donut still" be an actually viable invention?   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:28:32 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: June 19, 2020, 03:44:41 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:03:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 19, 2020, 06:01:51 am »

You make beer from bread crumbs

Then you make bread from the beer sump

Then you make beer from the bread crumbs

The  you make bread from the beer sump
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: June 19, 2020, 07:29:09 am »

Isn't that how you wind up with Marmite?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: June 19, 2020, 09:10:57 am »

But pa might not.

I put Marmite on my "Euro food that is pretty much nonexistent stateside" list
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: June 19, 2020, 01:43:18 pm »

I was thinking we could fix that, but if I'm getting unnecessary eye surgery, it'll be getting a tapetum lucidum (reflects light to increase ability to see in the dark) installed like sharks have.

Eh, may as well rip the things out and use that hardpoint to install some echolocation.

Eh...echolocation sounds like effort. Plus, it's easier to read with eyes.

Edit: actual question: can you ferment doughnuts? Would a "donut still" be an actually viable invention?   

The difficult part would be making the grains fermentable. Probably you'd just ferment the sugars and end up with a weird flour-tasting ~5% abv vodka. Throw some malt in there, and it would be close to a wheat beer, I guess. The taste wouldn't be great, because you use table sugar, but not that weird.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: June 19, 2020, 02:14:00 pm »

Random question:
What if other animals are studying us, or other species? We humans do observation studies sometimes, maybe other animals are doing them too, due to a lack of a lab

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: June 19, 2020, 04:51:15 pm »

We should stuff more qualia in our brains so that we can see more color in the same wavelength. It'll be great, trust me.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 636