Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 677833 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5970 on: June 19, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »

Yes that isn't how we start seeing Cthulhu things eating our universe at all
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: June 19, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »

More qualia more gooder.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: June 19, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:03:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:13 pm »

Why did you not want the rooster there?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:38 pm »

But pa might not.

I put Marmite on my "Euro food that is pretty much nonexistent stateside" list
Nooooo, skip it. Try Vegemite instead.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: June 19, 2020, 08:07:00 pm »

--
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:03:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: June 20, 2020, 05:07:05 am »

We should stuff more tequila in our brains so that we can see more color in the same wavelength. It'll be great, trust me.
FTFY
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: June 22, 2020, 07:05:05 am »

The thumbdrive I use for Windows 10 installs has managed to corrupt itself for the third time now, so now I'm considering a replacement for it. What brands (or specific models) of thumbdrive should I go for? I need something that's reliable, something that won't corrupt its contents when I leave it lying around.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: June 22, 2020, 07:14:54 am »

Look for one that has name-brand flash inside it, and not chinesium flash inside it.

The "Corrupts itself sitting on a counter" issue, is because of gate drainage on the flash gates, which should not happen.  This is a sign of poor manufacture, and or poor quality flash memory. (All flash memory will eventually suffer gate discharge, but should only happen after a very prolonged period, measured in tens of years at the worst.)

Samsung manufactures reasonably high quality flash, and as long as the device itself is not a counterfeit device, this stick comes highly reviewed and rated.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-bar-plus-32gb-usb-3-1-flash-drive-champagne-silver/6296021.p?skuId=6296021&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTXKJ6OIx8YF1xyCVyJbOZtO-cWwBr5J0c4fvYP7H7eshJgvhfYBGNhoCre8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Supposed to be water proof, dust proof, magnet proof, et al.  If it contains genuine samsung flash inside, it probably has good quality control on the flash chip inside it as well.  It's cheap enough at 10$.  Worth a shot.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: June 22, 2020, 09:23:18 am »

Look for one that has name-brand flash inside it, and not chinesium flash inside it.

The "Corrupts itself sitting on a counter" issue, is because of gate drainage on the flash gates, which should not happen.  This is a sign of poor manufacture, and or poor quality flash memory. (All flash memory will eventually suffer gate discharge, but should only happen after a very prolonged period, measured in tens of years at the worst.)

Samsung manufactures reasonably high quality flash, and as long as the device itself is not a counterfeit device, this stick comes highly reviewed and rated.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-bar-plus-32gb-usb-3-1-flash-drive-champagne-silver/6296021.p?skuId=6296021&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTXKJ6OIx8YF1xyCVyJbOZtO-cWwBr5J0c4fvYP7H7eshJgvhfYBGNhoCre8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Supposed to be water proof, dust proof, magnet proof, et al.  If it contains genuine samsung flash inside, it probably has good quality control on the flash chip inside it as well.  It's cheap enough at 10$.  Worth a shot.

It sounds like they have bad write speeds, and is a bit too thick if your usb ports are close together (which the fast ports usually are). Probably minor issues, but something to be aware of.

I got some of these, and the plastic case keeps falling apart, which is a rather novel and annoying failure mode: https://www.newegg.com/adata-model-as102p-32g-rgy-32gb/p/N82E16820211573?Item=N82E16820211573

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: June 22, 2020, 01:33:53 pm »

I was talking about the sensory capabilities of the eye, not the processing capabilities of the brain. A "color" as I'm using it here is a combination of all light frequencies on the visible spectrum in a certain proportion of amplitudes. Our eyes currently reduce that infinite-component vector into a 3-component vector. Having more kinds of cones allows our eyes to produce vectors with more components and thus more information about the color.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: June 22, 2020, 01:47:52 pm »

I don't need no more cones, there's only one vector I want to see
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: June 22, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »

This has been something that's bugging me from time to time, more in the sense, am I the only one noticing this rather than the why of it. It concerns burial ceremonies, more specifically those usually done in christian or western nations, the kind of stuff that comes with a casket and a graveyard ceremony/mass and everything. Now I don't know how the rest of the world handles this stuff exactly but from what I've seen first hand the casket is usually carried by several male relatives/friends (generally from the graveyard chapel to the grave itself), then the mass/ceremony is held and afterwards the casket is lowered into the tomb/grave thing. Usually by the same people who carried it, occasionally with help from other attending male folk.

What struck me as odd and fascinating and something I couldn't stop noticing after the first time I've witnessed it was how instant the switch from the reverent/holy air of the entire thing is to the utter and completely profane (in that specific use of the word meaning earthly, not necessarily blasphemous) air of lowering a thing into the ground. Gone is the composure and somber (sombre?) demeanor of those lowering the casket and its occupant, these are now men doing a physical act of work requiring cooperation, like felling a large tree or more similarly, lowering a very big thing into a hole. If you masked out the rest of the procession and switched the casket for any other object I feel you'd be hard pressed to guess the original context of the scene.

Naturally, this is a bit of a fucked up observation to make, especially if it's your relative that's being put into the ground, but it was such a massive tonal shift that it kinda stunned me at the time. And it's even harder to just casually toss this into any sort of conversation with anyone really (well except that one friend but he's a bit of an odd one). So I've been wondering, have you folks attended any ceremonies where you've maybe observed this sort of thing? Or is it something a bit specific to my region and how the people are and how they approach these things?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: June 22, 2020, 02:24:51 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:03:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: June 22, 2020, 02:34:56 pm »

I recently buried my grandmother. Because of covid just the closest (the children and grandchildren living in the country, eight people) was present for the earth laying. Thus the church supplied the carriers. They handled he earth laying with grace as far as I could see. Granted, my grandmother was very small and weighed very little at the time of her passing. Being the church's own carriers they also probably had prior experience with the task.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 636