Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 667042 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [How much wood can Cthulhu chuck?]
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »

Why does the laughing cow laugh?
Because he sees you sleeping with his crimson glowing eyes at the witching hour.
You do realize cows are female?
If it was a 'he' he  would be called a bull.
You do realize cow can be used as both the gender-neutral and female term?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »

Isn't the gender-neutral "cattle"? I'm on a ranch, and they'd kick my ass up if I dared referring to a bull as a cow.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »

I think it's one of those "people mess this up so much that it's pretty much become the proper way to say it" things. Like using "they" and deviations as a gender neutral.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05:15 am »

That's why the cow is laughing, obviously.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:31 am »

Isn't the gender-neutral "cattle"? I'm on a ranch, and they'd kick my ass up if I dared referring to a bull as a cow.
Wikipedia says cattle is grammatically incorrect in the singular, but as acceptable as using cow gender-neutrally.
They'd kick your ass up because the difference between a cow and bull matters there. To most people, it doesn't, so calling a bull a cow doesn't cause confusion.

New question: What fruits and vegetables taste good in rice?
As I type, I'm currently eating grapes and Triscuits, which isn't as tasty as I'd like, but I still need nutrition.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 03:05:41 am »

New question: What fruits and vegetables taste good in rice?
As I type, I'm currently eating grapes and Triscuits, which isn't as tasty as I'd like, but I still need nutrition.
Mango, lemon, potato, baked beans, spring onion, string beans, endamame beans, mint leaves, coriander and more still. Depends what kind of meal you want, how you prepare it and what style you go for with what resources you have. Rice is one of the most versatile food stuffs out there, don't limit yourself :P

For example you could go for a stewed rice with potatoes, carrots, beans and lamb, or try porridge rice with marmite, chicken and peas (the latter is good for re-using rice from yesterday's cooking).

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2012, 03:29:38 am »

Ah, overload! My plans if no-one suggested anything were to put some chunks of apple into a bowl of rice and see if it tasted good; repeat for other foods. I've never even cooked rice before. I'll have to work my way up your suggestions from the simplest.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:03 am »

I think it's one of those "people mess this up so much that it's pretty much become the proper way to say it" things. Like using "they" and deviations as a gender neutral.
I don't know why there is so much opposition to "they" as a gender-neutral reference. Academia goes crazy over it, but in a couple years they'll probably be embracing it wholeheartedly, only to reject it again a few years after that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:08 am »

Why is Academia a good reason to not use a perfectly fine word in a way? They'll probably have more fancy words for it then just they.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

Drafts, how and why do they form?

Earth rotation, constant atmospheric movement?

Because even on a completely still day without a breeze, if you open two windows there will be a draft (can't be pressure I think, they're on the same level).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 08:07:03 am »

Why is Academia a good reason to not use a perfectly fine word in a way? They'll probably have more fancy words for it then just they.
Because I'm involved with academia, and getting used to non-obsessiveness over things like this will lead me to using them without thinking about it, causing me to possibly fail horribly due to someone in a position of authority being crazy over it.
Drafts, how and why do they form?

Earth rotation, constant atmospheric movement?

Because even on a completely still day without a breeze, if you open two windows there will be a draft (can't be pressure I think, they're on the same level).
That you have a room for the windows still creates different pressure than the outside, just not very much. That is why drafts are horrific and can even keep you from opening doors in places like malls, where the building is huge but for the most part sealed until you open the door.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:34 am »

Wait, they isn't gender-neutral?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:36 am »

In German it isn't.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:48 am »

Wait, they isn't gender-neutral?
When you are not aware of the gender of a singular individual, you are directed by the Gods Of Academic English to refer to them as male instead of using "they", because to them "they" is plural only.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:17 am »

Oh, you can use they for a single person? I'm even more confused. Aren't feminists in arms against this rule?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 635