Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676075 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6540 on: November 21, 2020, 04:31:50 am »

About the letting in employees, what about adding facial recognition?

It’s good that Google is so well secure, given the many things that rely on it

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: November 21, 2020, 04:40:24 am »

NetApp sells its ecosystem with "5 9s uptime". 

That is, the server network is GUARANTEED to be up 99.999% of the time.

Downing the cluster in such a catastrophic manner is *VERY* hard to do, unless you know *EXACTLY what you are doing.  AND, the only way to get that kind of administrative control, is to be on-site.

Combined with proper disaster recovery industry practices (redundant DR sites), Permanently destroying that data is going to be an onerous task, unless you enact a spy-movie like plot, like I outlined.

(even then, you will have to contend with tape backups in warehouses.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:44:28 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: November 21, 2020, 12:04:50 pm »

(Note: brain currently running at 60% (±20%) capacity due to sleepiness. Worse-than-normal English is predicted. I'll probably have to clarify some details when I wake up.)

Is bog-standard WD-40 safe to use on bike chains as a degreaser? I know it's quite good at that, but I'm also concerned that the whole "water dispersant" part will cause rust to form on the iron chains and cause further damage. I know there's like, specialized degreaser variants of WD-40, but all my local hardware store's got is just WD-40, so I bought that since I couldn't find anything labelled "degreaser" or anything close to that.

To put it into context, I want to re-lubricate my bike chains. It's not because it's squeaking or anything, but I figured since that my pedals were squeaking when I apply force on them, I may as well do that too. I read online that one of the steps to doing that is to remove the existing lubricant with a degreaser. I'm asking if WD-40 is a suitable degreaser. It's not a lubricant and should never be used as such, I know that much. If not, please suggest alternatives.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: November 21, 2020, 12:35:26 pm »

The on,y thing I know about WD 40 is that in the future it’s probably used as currency among bots (( visit the Warped 2 thread if the reference is lost)) but seriously this is the second time I’ve heard of it, the first time was from there

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: November 21, 2020, 12:46:43 pm »

WD-40 is a lubricant often used for gearboxes and things like that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: November 21, 2020, 12:49:13 pm »

WD-40 is a lubricant often used for gearboxes and things like that.
thanks

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:16 pm »

If it moves and it shouldn't: duct tape

If it doesn't move and it should: WD40
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: November 21, 2020, 12:54:05 pm »

(Note: brain currently running at 60% (±20%) capacity due to sleepiness. Worse-than-normal English is predicted. I'll probably have to clarify some details when I wake up.)

Is bog-standard WD-40 safe to use on bike chains as a degreaser? I know it's quite good at that, but I'm also concerned that the whole "water dispersant" part will cause rust to form on the iron chains and cause further damage. I know there's like, specialized degreaser variants of WD-40, but all my local hardware store's got is just WD-40, so I bought that since I couldn't find anything labelled "degreaser" or anything close to that.

To put it into context, I want to re-lubricate my bike chains. It's not because it's squeaking or anything, but I figured since that my pedals were squeaking when I apply force on them, I may as well do that too. I read online that one of the steps to doing that is to remove the existing lubricant with a degreaser. I'm asking if WD-40 is a suitable degreaser. It's not a lubricant and should never be used as such, I know that much. If not, please suggest alternatives.

The whole point of WD-40 is to prevent rust, among other things. So i think you misunderstand what the term water-dispersant means. It's not something that will cause water to build up, spread or become trapped. The point is that WD-40 has low viscosity, so it displaces moisture in places that regular grease or oil can't penetrate, thus preventing moisture build up.

https://www.wd40.com/how-to/faqs/

Is WD-40® Multi-Use Product a lubricant?

Yes. While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
While this may vary depending on the application, WD-40® Multi-Use Product remains effective even after it appears to dry. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients remain adhered to the surface. External conditions may require additional applications of the product for maximum protection.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:00:23 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: November 21, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »

Oh hey I used to be a bicycle mechanic, guess I still am a bit.  Yeah, it's perfectly safe.  My dad and I used it on rusty chains to get them mobile (doesn't help with any chain stretching or cog wear, but not everybody can just buy a new chain).  It's not much of a preventative like a proper teflon-based bicycle lube, but it doesn't hurt anything and doesn't seem to stick around in significant amounts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: November 21, 2020, 07:33:20 pm »

Is there a standard notation for writing what gear you're on for a bicycle? My bike, for instance, has 3 gears on the left shifter, and 7 gears on the right, for a total of 21 speeds (though I can't imagine why you'd want to use all of them). How would I write that I'm in "left" (at the pedals) gear 2 and "right" (at the rear wheel) gear 5? Is it as simple as writing "2/5"?

I probably sound dumb or something, I don't know my bike terms.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: November 21, 2020, 08:56:21 pm »

To be imprecise, bigger gears in the front are higher-numbered gears and smaller gears in the back are higher-numbered gears.  This is because your "highest gear" is largest gear in the front and smallest gear in the back, and the "lowest gear" is the smallest gear in the front and largest gear in the back.

To be precise you would need to know the teeth in each gear, since "21 speed" doesn't have a universal meaning.  So you would say "I'm in 48:18" or "I'm in 36:22" or whatever.

For example, my bike has front gears with 48/38/28 teeth, and the rear has 7 gears that range from 11 to 34 teeth: 11, 13, 15, 18, 22, 28, 34.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:20 am »

That's (48:18, 36:22, and so on) the gear ratio, isn't it?

EDIT: I see text engraved on the gears themselves (16T NH, 18T NH, 20T NG, 22T NH, 24T NI, VIA from smallest readable to biggest on the rear gears). Are the numbers with T after them the number of teeth? Do the letters after that (NH, NG, NI...) mean anything?

EDIT 2: I've counted the number of teeth on the sets of gears. If I'm understanding it right, rear: (1..7) -> (14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26), front: (1..3) -> (54, 34, 24).

So "2/5" as read from the shifters on my bike would be "22:34"?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:17:08 am by methylatedspirit »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: November 22, 2020, 03:27:48 am »

Since you'll be using it on a bicycle's chain, I think standard WD40 would be just fine. The specialized degreaser/lubricant variants are intented for motorcycle use because their chains are usualy "self lubricated" meaning they have some lube sealed between the links (O-rings, X- rings, Z-rings) and standard wd40 can damage them.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: November 23, 2020, 02:00:53 am »

Does there exist any way on any sound chip to do sample playback/polyphony using its noise channel by somehow manipulating its RNG to make it output the sounds you want? Considering how far people have broken, say, the SID chip, I'm surprised that they haven't yet messed with the noise channels to do their bidding. I know that there's more practical ways to achieve sample playback/polyphony (from what I know, 6581 SID has master volume screwery, ZX Spectrum beeper has PWM), so I'm just asking if it's even theoretically possible.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: November 23, 2020, 02:26:07 am »

Is telling kids that Santa Claus is real primarily an American thing? Aka have many Brits and Aussies etc here been brought into the Santa LieTM when they were young?

I'm a Kiwi and my parents didn't go for any of that, although my sample size is too small to tell whether or not that's par for the course around here. Given how much America dominates media, television etc I'm wondering if it's all that widespread or if it's only something they do.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 636