Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676517 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6600 on: November 24, 2020, 07:03:24 am »

Does eating sex hormones (testosterone, estrogen are the specific ones I have in mind) do anything? I know you can inject those, and they'll be useful, but if I ate those, would there be any significant changes that could be attributed to the hormones compared to placebo?

Why I'm asking is because I've heard that soy can somehow... make you less of a man*. Something about it having estrogens. My understanding is that it's bullshit and it's basically false. It's not the same kind of estrogen as in the human body, so it doesn't quite work in us. It's a very weak estrogenic effect, if it does anything. So, as a what-if, if soy had proper estrogen in it, would we even be able to absorb it in the first place?

*I think that's fucked. Conflating sex hormones and gender expression like that... that ain't good. More specifically, telling others that they're less of a man/woman/whatever just because of the hormones they have is fucked.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:19:34 am by methylatedspirit »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: November 24, 2020, 10:19:45 am »

Every time I hear the soy conspiracy all I can think is "I wish it was that simple".  Sadly it's been hard debunked.

Technically I think hormones can be digested (hence the blue pills~) but, going off memory, the phyto-estrogen in soy simply doesn't work for humans.  Also a proper hormone regimen seems to involve daily injections, either for the hormones or the hormone blockers.

Absolute crazies on 4chan do it DIY with black market pharmaceuticals but I would not recommend trying that.  Hormones will screw with your mind even in the best of circumstances.  I *wish* it was something I could just do, truly I do.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: November 24, 2020, 10:24:17 am »

Just had a random question, could a parasite evolve to be able to grow in more hosts? I know there are some that transfer from host to host in different stages but would it be possible for say, a species of fungus, to grow fully in ants as well as flies?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: November 24, 2020, 12:18:16 pm »

I dunno about soy phytoestrogens, but pine pollen phytoandrogens seem to have real effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3345248/

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: November 24, 2020, 12:23:40 pm »

They found a monolith in the remote parts of Utah
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most mysterious. Any ideas as to what it is?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: November 24, 2020, 12:27:52 pm »

Just had a random question, could a parasite evolve to be able to grow in more hosts? I know there are some that transfer from host to host in different stages but would it be possible for say, a species of fungus, to grow fully in ants as well as flies?

I'm sure there are other examples, but the tongue-eating louse can parasitize multiple species of fish.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6606 on: November 24, 2020, 12:31:21 pm »

Every time I hear the soy conspiracy all I can think is "I wish it was that simple".  Sadly it's been hard debunked.

That said AFAIK certain foods can somewhat inhibit or promote hormone production. For instance IIRC flax seed can reduce testosterone levels. Been a while since I saw that research and I didn't really read into it much, so I could be wrong or it could be bogus but it sounds plausible.

Sure, that's basically how we ended up locked inside for nine months. :P Although for macroscopic parasites it'd probably be either a larger stretch or a problem more of getting there than surviving there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: November 24, 2020, 12:39:16 pm »

I thought vinegar was helpful in that way, but apparently I was suffering from an evolved meme.  Spiro causes salt deficiencies, and apparently people experienced that as a craving for pickles.

I still put vinegar on everything.  Vinegar's nice, and it keeps me from craving Chik-Fil-A.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: November 24, 2020, 12:41:48 pm »

I only crave chik-fil-a on sundays
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: November 24, 2020, 01:06:23 pm »

I thought vinegar was helpful in that way, but apparently I was suffering from an evolved meme.  Spiro causes salt deficiencies, and apparently people experienced that as a craving for pickles.

I still put vinegar on everything.  Vinegar's nice, and it keeps me from craving Chik-Fil-A.
Why would Spiro influence your choice of vinegar? He’s a dragon from a game

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: November 24, 2020, 01:09:49 pm »

Does eating sex hormones (testosterone, estrogen are the specific ones I have in mind) do anything? I know you can inject those, and they'll be useful, but if I ate those, would there be any significant changes that could be attributed to the hormones compared to placebo?

Why I'm asking is because I've heard that soy can somehow... make you less of a man*.

Don't believe it, basically.

This comes from "bro-science" where they talk about those "soy boys". It's been pretty thoroughly debunked. Both male and female people make both testosterone and estrogen. While soy has phytoestrogens, these may cause your body to make less of the natural estrogens in compensation.

There are some rat studies that shows phytoestrogens can cause some problems, these studies get reported in bro-science weightlifting articles, but they're of the type of studies where they're force-feeding them 30 times their own bodyweight of the stuff per day (so to speak, not exact amount). Absolutely amazing quantities of the stuff, far more than a person could eat. At which point, basically anything is a problem.

I mean, if it was real you'd have articles such as "I ate tofu every day and grew breasts", but there are no such articles.

And, look it up, they have done studies where weight lifters were given either whey protein, soy protein or other types of protein. None of these studies have found a statistically significant difference between the different types of protein for body-building, or you'd have heard about that as proof.

But despite the lack of scientific evidence, body builders swear off soy for it's 'feminizing' properties, despite the clear lack of evidence that this makes any fucking difference whatsoever. They make concentrated soy protein powder, you can chug that stuff all day because it's cheaper than whey protein, yet nobody ever comes forward saying they did this and had any negative consequences.

EDIT should add sources to read:
https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/does-soy-really-cause-man-boobs/
Some kids are raised on soy milk instead of cow’s milk their whole lives. A 2004 Italian study of kids raised on soy protein formulas showed no gynecomastia, no early puberty, no changes in their bones and no other signs of screwed up hormones.
You can drink soy milk for your whole life and doctors won't be able to detect any difference to someone who was raised on cow milk. It's debunked.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:20:54 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:35 pm »

They found a monolith in the remote parts of Utah
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most mysterious. Any ideas as to what it is?

It just looks like a piece of metal shelfing. Pretty sure you could find something like that just at a large hardware supply store where they could cut that to the size you request. "I want a plank, but metal" doesn't seem like something you'd have to go very far to find if you wanted it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:53:55 pm by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6612 on: November 24, 2020, 02:07:20 pm »

It's triangular, probably solid, and sunk into the sandstone.

...I've been setting a lot of year 8 geometry questions about volume of prisms, so maybe it's aliens reading my mind and manifesting my dreams in Utah.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: November 24, 2020, 02:22:31 pm »

Well you can buy triangular metal beams, they're a thing. Sure, doing this would cost some money so most people wouldn't do it, but clearly, people spend WAY money pulling stupid shit already so that wouldn't be an objection.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Industrial-Triangle-Aluminum-Extrusion-Profile_60799460755.html

In zoomed in photos of the structure, Reddit users noted there were lines by its base which suggested a rock saw had been used to put it in the ground and that it appeared to be held together with screws, dispelling the theory it could be one large hunk of metal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:28:03 pm by Reelya »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: November 24, 2020, 07:04:30 pm »

It doesn't look to have been extruded as a triangle, note the screw (or spot-weld) locations. It might be sheet metal pieces joined together.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 636