Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 676553 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6660 on: December 09, 2020, 01:00:27 am »

Sometimes (especially when I'm sick) drinking water seems to result in making my mouth more dry a few minutes later. Urine is clear, like it's gone straight through me. Drinking soda doesn't have this issue.

Likely you're also low on salt.

Try a test and see if raw plain salt tastes good. If it does, you don't have enough in your system, so eat the salt till it stops tasting great.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: December 09, 2020, 02:34:26 am »

Has anyone out there tried to compose music, but the only notes they're allowed to play are those that the Atari 2600 can play? I'll put it this way: the TIA in that thing doesn't follow any known scale, and trying to hit notes ends up with a noticeably detuned sound, and the level of detune is variable. Take a look at this chart. Given how far off every note is from the true value (measured in cents), it'd be a bit uncomfortable (JND for cents is 6), at least.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 02:47:48 am by methylatedspirit »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: December 09, 2020, 12:26:15 pm »

Being off by 2 or 3 cents is very little. Most people even with music training can't hear that difference.

There's at least one octave I can see where you can play the C blues scale. The notes there that are off you could maybe swap out for notes some octaves higher.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:29:05 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: December 10, 2020, 04:12:44 am »

I mean, I suppose it depends on which setup you're using, which I didn't really call attention to. I'll refer to the chart again. Running setup #2 (blue) or setup #3 (green) or setup #2 + 3 (orange) (those are actually notes shared by setup #2 and #3, not its own independent setup) wouldn't be so bad, at least on NTSC. If you restrict yourself to notes in setup #1 (red) on an NTSC machine, that would be detune city. Every damn note is at least +34 cents off. 25 cents is about the point where a normal adult would start noticing very reliably (according to Wikipedia), so that's probably quite bad. (I don't know anything about music, I just enjoy it)

I don't know a single thing about Atari 2600 programming, so I'll ask this: is it possible to switch "setups" on the fly, or are you restricted to the one you chose at the start?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:35:06 am by methylatedspirit »

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: December 10, 2020, 05:39:19 am »

One of my very young nieces who hasn't yet lost any of her baby teeth  (she's 5 years old) is quite analytical  and argumentative, and so it's amusing to argue with her over the existence of the tooth fairy.   Interestingly, although she believes that the tooth fairy is real, she refuses to believe me if  i claim to have met the tooth fairy, or if I claim that the tooth fairy lives in surrounding woodland  when we go walking.   This is  very much in line with her outright refusal to believe in elves, goblins, trolls, ghosts, etc, in spite of my best efforts to convince her otherwise.    In summary, in her opinion:

- Only santa and the tooth fairy are real.  No other mythological creatures are real.
- Anyone who claims to have met the tooth fairy is very probably lying.
- The tooth fairy lives in the sky.
- The tooth fairy doesn't have a problem avoiding  birds, helicopters or  fast moving aircraft, or dealing with low atmospheric temperature and pressure, because she's invisible ( presumably meaning non-physical).
-  The tooth fairy  herself doesn't have baby teeth,  which negates the necessity of a  "meta tooth-fairy".
- The tooth fairy won't financially reimburse adult teeth, let alone uncle's false teeth, when placed under a child's pillow, and experiments in this regard are neither permitted nor negotiable.

I have a suspicion that deep down, she doesnt' believe in santa or the tooth fairy.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: December 10, 2020, 10:35:20 am »

Hilarious. But where's the question?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:53:38 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: December 10, 2020, 10:52:24 am »

Hilarious. But where's the qusetion?

There was a tooth fairy question last page, I assume they're continuing discussion based off that.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: December 10, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »

I'm probably wrong but to me the real question is how at 5 years old someone can already be prepared to believe in any sort of nonsense if it is percieved to be in their direct material interests.

I've been playing a game (Rise of Venice) where cities that have the plague are shown with a floating green mist.  So why in my dreams is the more virulent form of this a floating orange mist?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: December 10, 2020, 04:14:28 pm »

I've been playing a game (Rise of Venice) where cities that have the plague are shown with a floating green mist.  So why in my dreams is the more virulent form of this a floating orange mist?

Anthrax.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: December 11, 2020, 04:31:16 am »

It's probably Agent Orange.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:33 pm »

Is it weird that I, a nonbinary person, don't really want to look more androgynous? I just couldn't care less about my looks, frankly. The only thing I have any particular attachment to is my voice, and I want that to remain deep because I'm a sucker for deep voices.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: December 12, 2020, 08:50:49 pm »

Nope!  :)
I do have issues with my appearance, but many enbies rock beards and stuff.  You're NB, and that doesn't come with any requirements.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: December 13, 2020, 01:06:50 am »

I see people going around using (picking at least one) {he/him, she/her} pronouns and then they/them (no shade to anyone who does do this). I don't quite get why they/them needs to be specified. In my eyes, they/them works in any situation. It works on men, it works on women, it works on enbies, it works if you're unsure... it's the universal pronoun.

So why is they/them specified when they already have {he/him, she/her} pronouns also specified? Surely they/them is implied. On a related note, are there people who do get offended when you refer to them with they/them?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: December 13, 2020, 01:42:53 am »

It's rare, but yeah, some folks get offended by they/them. Mix of folks that are real attached to he/she (usually some variety of anti-lgbtetc bigot, that) and ones that have a specific preferred (often-if-not-always non-standard, not he/she or they, from what I've noticed) set and dislike it when it's not used.

The latter, at least, will probably be chill with initial mistakes so long as they don't keep happening, or at least are apologized for and an attempt is made. The former are almost always some form of raging jackass, so they're probably not going to be chill. Not much you can do to avoid offending those sorts if you're not also a sack of shit in human form, tho', so, y'know. Probably don't worry much about 'em.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:47:23 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: December 13, 2020, 02:13:54 am »

I would imagine the slight felt at being called they/them is similar to what any one feels when being deliberately misgendered.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 636