Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 635

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 666762 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6780 on: December 29, 2020, 07:23:39 am »

All good.

Not what my compulsion would be, but valar morghulis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: December 31, 2020, 06:24:37 am »

The power level system in Shadow of War depicts the overall strength of an individual uruk as an abstract number, changes to which have a very real and tangible effect on that orc's sturdiness and abilities.

While the level does increase from common "XP" sources such as defeating worthy foes, it also can increase after successfully hosting a feast, or be decreased by publicly shaming the uruk with a mark on their face.

The handwave of "tricksy elf magicks" can explain why the shaming decreases their physical might, but it does not account for why they can increase in power from successful parties and the like. I would like to put forth the hypothesis that an orc's power level is directly tied into the opinion and awe of his fellow uruks.

But how can popularity cause an individual to become perceptibly stronger and undergo direct physical changes? Simple.

The orcs of Mordor are connected to the WAAAGH!. Ergo, what their fellow orcs believe to be the truth about an individual becomes the truth of that individual.

I have spoken.

EDIT: I have also posted in the wrong thread. Goddamnit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: December 31, 2020, 06:28:32 am »

Does anyone actually use the ignore list thing the forum comes with?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6783 on: December 31, 2020, 06:46:07 am »

Does anyone actually use the ignore list thing the forum comes with?
I've used it 3 times before, all on the same person who was creating multiple accounts to spam the forum with gore/shock

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:26 am »

What does it do, do you no longer see their stuff?

Also was it Pathos?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: December 31, 2020, 06:54:59 am »

I don't think Bay12 has enough drama anymore for it to be used. Toady is pretty quick to nuke any trouble.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: December 31, 2020, 08:14:21 am »

It hides the post behind what amounts to a spoiler. You can pretty easily just put someone on it for a bit to see what it looks like, then remove them.

I've been using it for a while, heh. Some folks just have pretty annoying posting habits I find it helps to have a layer between on some topics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: December 31, 2020, 08:32:20 am »

It's a shame I can't put myself into my own ignore list; sometimes I hate my own posts so much that I'd rather not look at them. There's always the "edit" button, but I'd rather not let others know I'm ashamed of my own words.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: December 31, 2020, 08:58:01 am »

It's a shame I can't put myself into my own ignore list; sometimes I hate my own posts so much that I'd rather not look at them. There's always the "edit" button, but I'd rather not let others know I'm ashamed of my own words.

Why do you feel like this? You seem to make pretty normal and polite posts to me.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: December 31, 2020, 08:28:26 pm »

I will now attempt to describe relatively-heavy subject matter without dragging the entire tone of the conversation down too far.

I have what is currently diagnosed as anxiety. For those of you in the know, this is the "psychosis" that I talked about many months ago. That was a tentative diagnosis when I was at my worst.

So, there's these areas of my brain that are "corrupted". Accessing them has a tendency to mess with me, essentially. It's generally something involving sadness and "no-one cares about me". I'll skip over that for tone reasons. The thing I want to focus on, in all that sadness, is that I tend to see myself in a far more negative light than I usually do under the effects of this corruption.

One of the areas that is corrupted is the failure region. I hate the feeling of failure. I don't try to hide from it, necessarily, but it does go a little fatalistic, a little "I have failed here and I will fail forever". The social region that I'm currently using now is also somewhat corrupted, especially around the trust area. Same thing here.

Now, when I feel like I've failed socially, that's a double whammy right there; not only have I failed, now people trust me less. It's not a good feeling, let's put it that way. If it's about the forum, I start viewing my posts in an extremely negative light, yet my principles tell me to not erase them. Not because I'm ever going to voluntarily look back at them, but... I don't know, public record? Something about it being tantamount to violence, which I'm fiercely opposed to? I'm just reading off vague ideas here.

I'm more stable now, much more stable than I was before, but that negative reinforcement from the corruption from before is a horrible beast. I sound normal and polite now because there's a million rules telling me "don't do this" or "don't do that". If you've noticed, I don't make jokes very often on here. Blame the negative reinforcement. I tried it once or twice, I didn't think it worked too well, so I just don't crack jokes unless I'm certain they'll land.

I'm fine now, don't worry about me. Corruption-induced sadness is rare now, and I can handle a bit of social failure. I'm able to detect it much sooner, and I have ways to mitigate it. If you want a prime example of the corruption screwing up my brain, I would suggest looking at my early post history, especially in General Discussion. That's a gold mine of cringe right there. I lacked my current level of understanding of my condition, and goddamn, it shows.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: January 01, 2021, 02:02:08 pm »

Hey, I think I've experienced something similar to you with OCD. Basically having OCD feels like having a rational thinking part of your mind and a hyperactive noisy rambling part of your mind, which crops up occasionally. Trick is to have those rambly thoughts, but don't respond to them at all. Don't try to reason with them, don't try to push them out. Then they sort of stop having as much weight in your mind.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: January 02, 2021, 08:04:01 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:16:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: January 02, 2021, 10:41:37 am »

I've noticed his absence too. He hasn't posted in a while right?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: January 02, 2021, 11:52:02 am »

Last active was December 3rd, so it's been about a month, yea. Hopefully the plague didn't get 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: January 02, 2021, 04:08:43 pm »

Maybe he realized he could get paid for his skills by being a lawyer instead of using them on a random Internet forum?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 635